mtbr member
    Jul 2004

DHi vs VPS Team NS vs VPS Team DH

I've been out of downhill riding and racing for the past two years while my back has been broken from a nasty fall down Sugar Mtn. I'm now once again in the market for a new DH ride. I'm looking for a complete DH bike under $4500USD. I've been doing some preliminary research and have come up with a list of three possibilities: GT DHi, Norco VPS Team NS, and Norco VPS Team DH. I've been out of riding for so long that my knowledge of hardware is only minimal now. I was wondering if some of you out there could offer your suggestions regarding the three possibilities I've listed and if possible, suggest more. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Yeti DH9, Sinister R9, used Foes possibly new, RMX, V10, Tomac 204Magnum, Giant DH.....all very nice bikes, and the Giant probably can be had the cheapest.

T.Dot Represent
    the norco team DH is built beautifully. its got amazing componentry such as hadley hubs, 888r, a long stroke Progressive 5th element, top of the line blackspire guide and hollzfeler cranks, Sram X0 rear derailleur... couldnt be beter

also this is interesting from teh site

" Progressive 5th Element rear shock with adjustable 4 position BB height and head tube angle Adjustable BB height Slacker head angle Lower stand over"

cant be beaten, unless u can get a bike like that with a Manitou Dorado! the Giant Team DH is also an amaing bike for the cash i just suggest the norco cuz my norco impresses me more everyday!
    [SIZE=5]fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    As a race bike, I'd go with DHi.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've heard a lot about the rear triangles breaking on DHi's, is this still a problem? Also, GT seems to have gone bankrupt since I was last in the sport, has this affected product quality or warranty enough to stay away from their bikes? We don't even have a Norco dealer in the southeast and I was told by a dealer that he would not be able to get me a Norco Team DH so it looks like it's gonna come down to the Team NS, DHi, or Rocky Mountain RMX Team. Any opinions as to the best of the three?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you're craving a Team DH contact John Henry's in North Vancouver, Canada.

http://www.johnhenrybikes.com/catalo...ubcategory=145

They do mail order and I know they have at least a couple sitting on the floor. With no Norco dealer around, you may have a problem with warranty should you ever need it though.

Have you considered the Giant DH?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianDHRider
    I've heard a lot about the rear triangles breaking on DHi's, is this still a problem? Also, GT seems to have gone bankrupt since I was last in the sport, has this affected product quality or warranty enough to stay away from their bikes? We don't even have a Norco dealer in the southeast and I was told by a dealer that he would not be able to get me a Norco Team DH so it looks like it's gonna come down to the Team NS, DHi, or Rocky Mountain RMX Team. Any opinions as to the best of the three?
    The rear triangle breaking is not a problem with the new DHi models. GT has a new owner now and they are back if you didn't know. The new owner (Pacific) has warranty and everything just like the old GT.

user-created
    I was wondering if some of you out there could offer your suggestions regarding the three possibilities I've listed and if possible, suggest more. Thanks.
    Sorry about the back, glad yer, uh, back....

Look into a Canfield F-1. Probably the best dh race bike out there and nobody rides them. Except here.... Anyway, frames go for like $1700 (I think, now that they're in production), which is relatively cheap.

The info on the site is a little out of date. The production bikes have 1 inch shorter stays, and the idler pulley is mounted to the frame so you can use whatever chainguide you want . There's also a spiffy new machined brace on the top linkage.
    Canfield Brothers

Here's a great review of the F-1 from PinkBike:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news...leview&id=1719

And another from NSMB:
    http://www.nsmb.com/trail_tales/lancecanfield_11_03.php
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by singletrack; 07-15-2004 at 02:38 AM.

mtbr member
    ...whoa, I think I just found my new Dh frame Thats is a SWEET ride, especially for $2250.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've slept on it for a few nights and decided that I'll have the least regrets buying a new Norco VPS Team DH. Thanks Divet for the link to John Henry Bikes. I've begun to try and get in contact with them. If anyone else knows any dealers state-side that have a VPS Team DH in stock or has the ability to get one I would greatly appreciate the link as I'll surely be writing someone a check in the next week or so. As a final question, anyone got any suggestions for roof mounted bike racks that would secure a VPS Team DH??? Thanks to everyone for all of your help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No Team DH in the USA

The Team DH is a sick sick bike. But I heard that Norco didn't import any in the states except for team racers. My friend tried very hard to get one this spring and was denied. If John Henrys has one, go with that. Maybe you could arrange to pick it up in person, and hit a little North Shore and Whistler action while you're there ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As a final question, anyone got any suggestions for roof mounted bike racks that would secure a VPS Team DH??? Thanks to everyone for all of your help.
    Have a look at the Yakima King Cobra or Sportworks Bob Ratchet. FYI John Henry's sells both maybe try to cook a deal, although the Sportworks is costly here in Canada. You'd do better to pick it up in the US.

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004

I do not understand

I have listed a BRAND NEW 2004 Rocky Mountain RMX Team with Avalanche rear shock and with all high end parts. All I have gotten is looky loos. What I do not understand is I here people saying they only have this to spend but want a quality DH Bike. I mean I went as low as $2100 for my Brand new RMX see add #74082 on mtbr and have not sold. The only reason I am selling because of money problems. I am taken it off sale because for $2100 I am giving it a way. Hell I know if I sold it for that any way I would look back and be sick! I guess I dont understand because I here people talking about what a bad ass ride that RMX is but cant afford it. Then I list for a abserd price of $2100 and cant sell. I guess people thought something was wronge with it because its brand new and selling for so cheap. I will be poor but I guess I will have a nice bike. The only thing is it's going to be hard sleeping on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I got in contact with John Henry, they have two on the floor in SM/MD size but none in MD/LG size and Norco has none left this year. I'm 6'1, almost 6'2 and scared to spend 4grand on a bike that's gonna be too small. Anyone out there my height riding a Team DH SM/MD?????

Schnauzer, I was on the verge of buying a Rocky Mountain RMX Team until I learned that they only have a 6 month warranty compared to Norco's 5 year unconditional warranty.

Also, if anyone out there knows of a local store with a Team DH MD/LG in stock PLEASE let me know ASAP, I am dying to have this bike and don't want to make the mistake of ordering one too small or having to wait until the 2005's drop.

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004

Norco

I got in contact with John Henry, they have two on the floor in SM/MD size but none in MD/LG size and Norco has none left this year. I'm 6'1, almost 6'2 and scared to spend 4grand on a bike that's gonna be too small. Anyone out there my height riding a Team DH SM/MD?????

Schnauzer, I was on the verge of buying a Rocky Mountain RMX Team until I learned that they only have a 6 month warranty compared to Norco's 5 year unconditional warranty.

Also, if anyone out there knows of a local store with a Team DH MD/LG in stock PLEASE let me know ASAP, I am dying to have this bike and don't want to make the mistake of ordering one too small or having to wait until the 2005's drop.
    John Henry's a good store I bought 2 shores from them. Go to there Norco's web sight and look under dealer's. I know there dealers in the USA. I know the warranty really suck's. I will probaly never brake the frame but it's nice to know you have a good warranty. I think Rocky Mountain really losses out on this sucky warranty. There trying to save money when in the end they will sell less bikes. Good Luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    There are many Norco dealers in the states but not a single one within 1,000 miles of me (North Carolina). I'm going to have to have the bike shipped to me regardless so it really doesn't matter to me where it comes from. I'm just wondering whether a SM/MD Team DH would be too small. If anyone can assure me that the bike won't feel like a toy under me then I'll gladly order it first thing tomorrow morning. Also, anyone out there know whether the Team DH is in white like shown on Norco's website or red like shown on John Henry's website. And when does history suggest that we'll see the 2005 models?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Team DH is silver, and looks very nice. The red was pre-production from what I've heard. As for sizing, try emailing Norco. They have been extremely helpful in my experiences with them.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    yeah the team is silver...

as for smaller bikes...for DH its better to have a smaller bike as for u can thrash it around easyer...itll be nimbler and alot quicker...and lighter...so for a DH bike i would say yes go down an inch or half and inch in sizing so when racing u have that edge...

and yeh email norco...they should get back to in about 4-5 days and there really nice ppl to talk with...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Too small for you

Looks like you're SOL on the Team DH. I have seen the small, and it is quite small. At 6'2 I'm running the medium 2003 Team Shore, which is the same size as the large Team DH. For riders our size, look for a top tube length around 23.5-24" if you like a smallish feel, and 24-24.5" if you like a bigish feel.

Last year's Team DH was red (2003). This year's is silver (2004) with gold Hadley hubs -- it's purrrrrdy.

Since the DH isn't an option, look at the 8" bikes (Team Shore or A-line). They are very nice, and one of the only bikes I felt immediately comfortable on. You can still go bigger than you want on an 8" bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Looking at the frame geometry specs from Norco's website, the Team DH SM/MD is simply an inch smaller in wheelbase and theoretical top tube length than the MD/LG. With most of the riding in the Appalachian Mountains where it's more technical than speed and certainly less pedaling, I don't see where that inch difference is going to hurt me. When in contact with John Henry's I was told that many riders my height ride the Team DH in the SM/MD size and that it's a completely preference decision. I think I'm gonna take a chance and order the Team DH while I still have a chance. If it shows up in the classifieds next week help bail me out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

try before you buy

It is personal preference, but I would be amazed if you felt comfortable on a 22.5" top tube bike. With a bike that short, you'll be whacking your knees on the handlebars when standing and climbing, and you'll probably have a sore back and neck from being crunched into a cockpit that's too short. And on a DH bike, you can't put on a long stem (ruins the handling on drops) or slide the saddle back (rubs on the rear tire).

Back in my XC days, I broke a large frame and the mfg sent a warranty replacement and I kept going over the bars and couldn't figure out why until I put a tape measure on it and found out the top tube was 22.6". Too short. 23.5" feels short but "just long enough" -- I wouldn't go any shorter, and I like the feel of a small bike.

Before dropping that kind of $$ on a small bike, go to your LBS and test ride something with a 22.5" top tube -- you will be able to tell almost immediately if you like it or not. Try a medium Bullit or small Giant AC or even a trail or XC bike.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    yeh i agree...just try summin similar out first...

im 6ft and i ride a small (i know it sounds wierd but apart from my height im small and weight 130lbs) and a good friend of mine (EV-) is like 6'3ft and he rides a meduim stinky (17") so u might get away with it but me and him are both small in build so we can...but also keep in mind norcos have very short top tubes and cramped cockpits (seat and handelbars are very close)...so u might but also might not...

so yeh id say try summin similar out first...but if ur quite confident that you could get away with it then go for it coz it should be a nice bike...

good luck...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So what's the verdict? I was in John Henry's last night and still saw 2 on the floor (although 1 had a work order tag on it) Did you get it sorted out?