Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DH in SOCAL

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

DH in SOCAL

So, right now I live in Colorado - we have a tonne of Dh resorts here. I am moving to SoCal soon and am wondering if there is any DH riding close by or if I should just sell my new, unused 2013 session 88 and get some good money for it. Is there any lift serviced riding other than mammoth which is about a 6 hour drive away

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: DH in SOCAL

There's big bear, too. There is DH down there, but its a bit of a scene to know all the trails.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Big bear is starting their bike park this year. Where are you moving?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Right now it is looking like oceanside, but we are still not sure

Pro Crastinator
    not colorado caliber downhilling (i also transplanted to socal from colorado) but there are many many trails to be found...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Lots of good riding, but don't expect many lifts! I'd say to keep the DH rig and keep your eyes open for a nice all Mtn bike if you don't have one. We have some great riding here that will be a bit of a change, but at least you can ride 12 months a year and never freeze.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    not colorado caliber downhilling (i also transplanted to socal from colorado) but there are many many trails to be found...
    I've never understood why people knock on socal DH. There's a metric sh*t load of shuttle stuff between SD and SLO. Some of it might be slightly hard to find, and I guess it is a bit spread out, but nothing that should stop you.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ianinco View Post
    Right now it is looking like oceanside, but we are still not sure
    Oceanside puts you riding in Temecula (about 1 hr). Have heard the riding is very good. When I lived near there, I couldn't deal with the traffic. So I planted myself on the beach and surfed the small socal waves. Laguna has some nice trails, look at Brian Lopes vid. But, if you are used to riding out your door, or a short trip to a good location, you are screwed. If you can be content to drive a bunch to ride, then it will work fine cause there is good riding to find

Slap happy crappiness

DH in SOCAL

Tons of good stuff not far from Oceanside and even some mediocre stuff in Oceanside to keep you occupied when you don't feel like traveling more than 20min.
    If lift is a must you're like 2.3 hours from Big Bear.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    I've never understood why people knock on socal DH...
    i wasn't trying to knock anything. i love the trails here and the ability to ride year round, but i certainly miss having trails that have over 3 times the elevation drop as the norm...

Professional Troll
    i wasn't trying to knock anything. i love the trails here and the ability to ride year round, but i certainly miss having trails that have over 3 times the elevation drop as the norm...
    How much drop are the trails in CO? Are they more than 2k? I feel like I haven't heard of or seen any (within the average that is) that are much if any more than that.

Pro Crastinator
    keystone is 3100. vail is 3500. breck is 3400...

Glad to Be Alive
    lets be honest here.....

when you settle in........buy a shovel, working gloves, and beer (ice and ice chest) and make sure you have a vehicle that can haul bikes (trailer hitch bike rack or truck).

then post an ad......new to oceanside. I love to dig, do trail maintenance, trimming brush....does anyone have any use for a digger instead of a trail poacher. I am available after every rain and spring time trimming back brush....I guarantee you will find tons of trails that will make you want to keep your big bike
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Professional Troll
    keystone is 3100. vail is 3500. breck is 3400...
    Just checked their websites. Maybe for skiing they go that high, but closer to 2-2.5k for the MTB trails, if that. There are tons of shuttle trails around Socal that are 2k vert or more.

Flacko
    Mar 2006
    hey dudes nice E-pissing match over vert

isnt iddy like 4k?

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by altadank View Post

isnt iddy like 4k?
    Not e-pissing, just trying to get people the facts so they can make informed decisions. I see too many people selling their DH bikes for the wrong reasons lately.

Slap happy crappiness
    I see too many people selling their DH bikes for the wrong reasons lately.
    There's only one good reason to sell a downhill bike... getting a new one.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Pro Crastinator
    ..Maybe for skiing they go that high...
    it's a possibility. all i did was look at their websites and check their summit vs. base elevations. i've ridden all those places for years and i'm fairly certain that bikes go from summit to base...

all i really know is that they're my destinations of choice for lift access....

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by altadank View Post
    i guess if you see it that way, that's your call. he asked a legit question, i answered, nothing more...

Professional Troll
    i guess if you see it that way, that's your call. he asked a legit question, i answered, nothing more...
    Yeah. Altdank is an idiot.

Yeah I double checked. Looks like one of them might have trails up to the summit, but the legit "black diamond" runs are only to mid mountain. All the other ones the trails only go to mid mountain. Which makes sense. Almost no ski resorts really have bike appropriate terrain on the summits anyways. Usually it's all super steep glacial peak type stuff. Mammoth is kind of a weird exception.

mtbr member
    Socal is definitely lacking in lift service trails, but if you find some people to shuttle with Socal has some awesome trails. Here are a just a few vids to give you a taste.
    Anderson's Truck Trail in Alpine, CA. Video: Rehab with Griz by darktimbers - Pinkbike
    Ted Williams in Poway, CA. Video: This Is KHS | DH650Q - Pinkbike
    Skidmarx near Lake Elsinore. Skidmarx Video - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Cool vids, makes me want want to take the the big boy out for a run. Looks like I'll be heading down the 15 soon and trying some new terrain.

I also tried out Mt Baldy last summer for some lift assist riding. Kind of a short run but they started adding some wood features that were pretty fun and you could do a bunch of runs to dial in the lines.

mtbr member
    Gravity Logic is working with Big Bear this year. Good things are bound to come, probably not this year but next year should be AWESOME! It's been a LOOOOONG time coming for SoCal. Also Mammoth has been investing heavily in Summer activities.

Flacko
    Mar 2006
    kidding guys- guess i forgot the emo icon for sarcasm. my bad..... no harm intended.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ianinco, shoot me a pm when you get to town. I live in Vista one town over from Oceanside and can more then likely help you to get your bearing of DH trails in the area. Theres alot of riding around this area its just having some one to show ya. Theres a pretty good community of DH riders around here, just alot of people stay secretative.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast