mtbr member
    Sep 2013

DH pedals: Flat or Clipless ?

Hi Folks,

I am somewhat new to the DH world, I have just bought my 1st specifically DH bike.

Please, which kind of pedals do you guys normally use in your DH bikes (not regular XC or trail bikes) ?

I am very used to clipless in my XC bike, but I am unsure if that should be the way to go when going DH only in a bike park for example,

Please, would a pair of clipless pedals help me retain my feet attached to the bike on jumps ?
    Or is there a good technique not to have pedal slippery when jumping with flats ?
    Thanks a lot,
    Mongao

Keep on Rockin...
    While I use both depending on the terrain, some things you mentioned in your question definitely suggest you should be riding flats. Go flats.

mtbr member
    If you're very proficient with clipless for xc then ride them for DH as well. Maybe different shoes and pedals, up to you.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I ride flats for trail/xc but clipless for DH.

If you have a hard time keeping your feet on the pedals on jumps using flats, you might consider getting a pair of flats to ride around and practice bunny hops and jumping. It's good to get that technique down using flats as it will help you with bike control using clipless in the park.

That being said, I like clipless for park as consequences for losing a pedal in the rough stuff or on a jump is high and I like the sensation of being so connected to the bike riding park.

I have the crank brothers mallet. Feels similar to a flat pedal with good mud clearance and disengagement. If you ride an spd pedal, you might miss the positive click you get when clipping in, but other than that they seem very good.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    thanks to everybody who replied,
    I am in doubt between the Mallet DH clipless or the Stamp 7 flat,
    I am indeed very used to clipless and with CB I never had trouble disengaging (trail/XC)

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I was in the same predicament last year, I ended up going with flats. In the beginning it was for walking down features I couldn't ride down, but now I just prefer them. It's to the point that I've converted my trail bike from clipless to flats. It takes a while to clean up your jumping technique, but I thought it was worth it.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I'd go flats, sometimes you may need to dab a foot in a corner, hang a leg off moto-stylee or fall of quickly - pushing up the trail mite be hard in cleats.

But if you are confident with clipless then there is no reason why you can't run them.

If you can get a cheap pair of flats just to try for a month id do that. don't spend too much (DMR v6 are good just to try out). then if you like them you can upgrade to a nicer pair (crankbrothers) and if you don't like them go back to some nice crankbros clipless