Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ugly As F*ck

DH/park bike for a non-racer?

I am still new to DH so I am pretty slow and unskilled. I will be moving very close to a bike park, so I'll be there pretty much every weekend when it's open. I plan on getting a dedicated bike for the park, but not sure what I should get...

Is a full on DH bike built more with the racer in mind? I wouldn't mind getting "fast" at DH, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Also I have no intentions of racing, whether it be DH or otherwise. Would I have more fun at the park on a slightly smaller FR bike?

I'm looking at a used KHS Lucky 7. Would that suffice for what I'd be using it for? At least for a season or two?

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Really depends on the park...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Ugly As F*ck
    Northstar will be the one I'm living near. However I'll likely hit a few others up on the move out there. Angel Fire for sure, and possibly Winter Park and Deer Valley area parks if I head farther north.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Angel Fire has some of the gnarliest, rockiest terrain around. I would want a true DH bike there (more travel, dual crown fork, slacker geo). Winter Park can be ridden on a 7" bike, and there is only one trail where you'll wish you had a DH bike (Trestle DH).

I can't speak for the other two. I don't race, but I have a Demo 8 for the resorts. If price is a concern, the Speshy Status is a great new bike for the price.

Airborne Flight Crew
    I'd want an 8 inch bike for Northstar, they have a good variety of terrain there - even though you could get by on a 7" single-crown, an 8 inch crown will give you room to grow, and might help make up for lack of skill as you grow.

IF I was going to live near Winter Park and ride Trestle a lot, I'd probably get a 7 inch bike. Their trails are pretty smooth and dialed (and FAST), and as BigSteve mentioned, there's only one really gnarly trail there.

At Angelfire you can be comfortable on both, but the extra travel and slack geo on the 8 inch made things like the rock gardens easier/faster. Just rode there Saturday with some friends, I had my DH, and my buddy was riding his Pivot Firebird with a Lyric on the front - and he killed it. But, he's a very skilled rider.

Great tip on the Speshy Status, but your best bet is rent or borrow first. Most parks have a decent fleet of bikes to choose from. Angelfire even rents 7 inch Scotts...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Professional Troll
    Theres another thread recently on bike selection for Northstar, do a search for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    if you are going to be living near a bikepark, then i would rent/ test/demo as many bikes as possible before buying one, that way you get the bikes that best suits you as a rider, we are all differant and whats great for one isnt always great for the next person.

Ugly As F*ck
    I hear you on trying out different bikes first. Only thing is bike rentals aren't cheap, especially at Northstar. So the cost of trying out 4 or 5 different bikes would equate to a good chunk of money that could be put towards buying a quality used bike. That's really why I'm trying to avoid it this summer.

Last summer was my first time ever trying DH. Went to Angel Fire and rented both a Demo and a Status. I don't think I saw any gnarly bits the whole time I was there, everything was pretty smooth. Granted I didn't go down any black trails, I'm sure those are the ones that have rock gardens. But it was my first time ever riding DH, I was alone, and I didn't really feel like risking breaking my neck so I stayed on the green and blue trails.

Professional Troll
    Yeah realistically any mainstream DH bike is fine. Unless you are an advanced rider you're not gonna notice the differences. And most of the differences among the major bike are just differences, not necessarily aspects that makes one better or worse overall than the others.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    I hear you on trying out different bikes first. Only thing is bike rentals aren't cheap, especially at Northstar.
    For sure, that's a lot of coin to drop just to try - but you could probably get a good idea from just two rentals. Like Gemini said, most of the differences in the brands are minor and not something you're likely to notice right away. Renting a single crown, then another day on Dual crown should give you a good idea on the different set ups and wouldn't be too prohibitive cost-wise.

That said, I'd go for the 8 inch, dual crown - unless all you plan to ever ride is Trestle, or blue-green runs at any other resort.

Last summer was my first time ever trying DH. Went to Angel Fire and rented both a Demo and a Status. I don't think I saw any gnarly bits the whole time I was there, everything was pretty smooth. Granted I didn't go down any black trails, I'm sure those are the ones that have rock gardens. But it was my first time ever riding DH, I was alone, and I didn't really feel like risking breaking my neck so I stayed on the green and blue trails.
    As for Angelfire, yeah, you found the smooth lines (combi, Sierra, lower boogie) but there is plenty of rough there too: Supreme, World Cup, Pepper Spray... Duke to some extent. All quite challenging trails, and they're building more... Hope you get to stop there this season.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Ugly As F*ck
    Damn, I was kinda hoping you guys would say go for the FR bike. I think I could get it fairly cheap and upgrade the brakes. But everything I'm reading now has me leaning towards a full DH bike.

Maybe I should just get a demo since I've ridden one before, I would kind of know what to expect. Being a DH noob, pretty much any big bike I ride is going to feel strange and awkward at first. I know the Demo I rode at Angel Fire did. The Status was a bit lighter, felt closer to what I was used to (XC bike), and was a bit more nimble. But the Demo did feel a little more stable when I was at speed. And again, I haven't ridden any steep, black trails yet. But when I do I'm thinking I'll want the slackest, longest travel front end I can get to make it a little less uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    You should get a 8 inch downhill bike for Northstar. The trails are pretty rough for a single crown free ride bike day after day. A good deal on the wrong bike isn't a good deal at all. There's lots of good bikes out there. Sizing is absolutely key.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Go with a full on DH, 8 or more inch travel bike if you're going to be riding N* and Angle Fire. Lots of chunk at both. Even if your not to comfortable with the black runs now you'll progress to them pretty quick. With the right bike you'll have more confidence, than a smaller bike with the wrong geometry.

I would demo few other brands, than just Specialized. Try Santa Cruz's V-10, Intense's M-9, transition's TR 450, and others. One thing to consider is bottom bracket height. You want something with enough clearance that you won't bash your down tube, feet, or pedals in the rock gardens.
    Last edited by Tim F.; 07-09-2013 at 02:39 PM.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wonny View Post
    A good deal on the wrong bike isn't a good deal at all.
    Truer words were never spoken.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My kids and I ride Northstar pretty much every weekend and I'm in the process of building up a Banshee Rune to replace my dh bike. A 6"-7" bike with a good head angle can easily handle anything at Northstar.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by lummie View Post
    A 6"-7" bike with a good head angle can easily handle anything at Northstar.
    There's definitely a difference between a bike that can "easily" handle N*, and the "ideal" bike for N*.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    There's definitely a difference between a bike that can "easily" handle N*, and the "ideal" bike for N*.
    There are 44 trails on the Northstar map, about 4 of them are "ideal" for an 8" dh bike.

Professional Troll
    There are 44 trails on the Northstar map, about 4 of them are "ideal" for an 8" dh bike.
    This is a DH/FR forum. I thought we ONLY talk about those kind of trails?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    yep fair point i think the same way to, hence why i take my own bike when we go to whistler, for what it would cost to rent for the 5 weeks is the equivalent of buying your bike, thats how i justify spending so much on a dh bike lol...
    do you know if there any places that would let you demo a few bikes before you buy, that would be a cheap or free way to find what works for you.

to be honest being a novice rider, or complete beginer, most bikes would feel the same to you, and you would probably just adapt and learn to ride the bike you had. i was trying to point out that some bikes ride better than others, and whats good for one isnt always good to an other. you speak to any bikeer not just down hiller, but any mtb rider in general. and they will all tell you that their particular ride is the best.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

DH/park bike for a non-racer?

I was the guy that started the other thread about a bike for Northstar a few weeks ago. I went against the grain and bought a 7" freeride bike. I rode it there this weekend and was happy with my choice with it taking the edge off and not having to worry about breaking the thing. For everything but the double black diamonds, I think it is more than sufficient. That said, I am pulling the totem fork and sending it off to have it rebuilt and upgraded to a DH2.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    This is a DH/FR forum. I thought we ONLY talk about those kind of trails?
    All you fvckers with 4- 6 inch trail bikes riding DH trails, line up so we can woop all your azzes! LOL.

I have to admit it's annoying as F-ck when they come to our forum and ask or answer about DH bikes, and then question why it can't be ridden on a trail bike. I can ride most of the trails at Northstar on a tricycle as well, but doesn't mean I'm going to do it. So go ahead and ride your 7 inch Ibis, we'll see how clapped out it is after a full season.

Not directed towards the OP.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So, I think the Status is a pretty nice bike. I rented one at Angelfire last year too, and usually rode my Delirium (~7"). Huge difference going up to 8" in the back. I also rented a TR450 and a Giant Fury. The Status as the freeride bike with higher bb and good geometry was more appealing than an all-out race rig that the demo is, instantly more comfortable and the best jumper out of those 3.
    I'm stoked to be scoping out my trips for this year and have my own bike. I bought one of the Trestle bike shop demo bikes last year and dressed it up a bit (CCDB). Cannot wait to get it on a proper mountain, looking at Trestle/Keystone/AngelFire again here before season is over.

RideDirt
    I have a demo 8 , I dont race but its balls to the wall with the bike it handles everything I ride from fast flowy trails to steep rough rocks. Ill admit its not the most poppy bike but it still works and likes to be ridden hard. The status is a great bike if your looking for more of that freeride style.

Ugly As F*ck
    Well now I'm a bit confused on the Demo vs Status topic. The one I rented was a single crown. I see from Speshy's website they have that one and then the double crown. You guys who are recommending this bike are recommending the one with the double crown?

Comparing the double crown version of the Status with the Demo, would there be a huge difference between the two? All I can tell by looking at the specs online is that the demo is just a bit slacker.

Someone brought up jump-ability. I had a hell of a time getting the Demo off the ground, although I think that was more my lack of speed into the jumps than anything. Would it be easier for a beginner to get air on the Status over the Demo? Or am I just going to have to nut up and rail the jumps to take flight on either?

On another note, what about this bike: 2012 Pivot Phoenix - Pinkbike

Only reason I ask is because it's in TX so I could drive to get it. I really don't want to buy a bike and have it shipped, I feel like i'm going to get ripped off by someone if I do that. That's quite a price tag he has on that beast, though.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well now I'm a bit confused on the Demo vs Status topic. The one I rented was a single crown. I see from Speshy's website they have that one and then the double crown. You guys who are recommending this bike are recommending the one with the double crown?

Comparing the double crown version of the Status with the Demo, would there be a huge difference between the two? All I can tell by looking at the specs online is that the demo is just a bit slacker.

Someone brought up jump-ability. I had a hell of a time getting the Demo off the ground, although I think that was more my lack of speed into the jumps than anything. Would it be easier for a beginner to get air on the Status over the Demo? Or am I just going to have to nut up and rail the jumps to take flight on either?

On another note, what about this bike: 2012 Pivot Phoenix - Pinkbike

Only reason I ask is because it's in TX so I could drive to get it. I really don't want to buy a bike and have it shipped, I feel like i'm going to get ripped off by someone if I do that. That's quite a price tag he has on that beast, though.
    Overpriced. Hardly used but the bikes a few years old. I'd give him $40,00 tops. If your worried about shipping, just wait till you move to CA, and buy a used bike here. Much bigger selection to choose from. Plus, it'll be one less thing to pack.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast