Thread: DH pants?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

DH pants?

Hi, I was considering buying a pair for this winter so the cold/wet doesn't get in the way of weekend riding. does anyone else bother with them or do you just bear it and keep riding? i would need some with good protection (no tearing etc) and be thermal but not sweaty if you know what I mean

mtbr member
    Get some thermal tights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    I have to ask for them to do a "Number two" on my head

Freeride / Downhill Dude
    I use some 'Shift' DH pants. They're VERY tough, loose enough to get my Race Face FR leg armor under and can be turned into shorts. Only problem with them is they're a little 'crunchy' due to whatever they're made of and the coating on them but you live with it when you're riding!
    I'm on the Twitter.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have some roach pants but I hardly ever use them, too hot. I wear light weight fleece pants under my armor and my regular bike shorts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    MSR strike force pants are the $hit tough fit well and can convert to shorts if it gets too warm...

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    they are called jeans... you can get em at walkmart! last winter it got really really cold, but didn't snow for awhile, so i just wore some winter cycling tights under a pair of jeans... was riding urban when it was 0 degrees out!
    "dropped outta school. no G.E.D. but in these streets i'm a G.O.D."
    -murs

mtbr member
    Army fatigues
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

Freeriding Feline
    Fox Huck pants. If you hit their site and look in the MX section they have some good deals going now too.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    cheers guys i was thinking of the fox hucks before and all my riding gear is fox so it would be cool
    the jeans and thermal tights is not a bad idea either but you have to have em wide enough to fit the leg armour and not cease up knee movement, by which time they will get tangled up in the chain etc, plus if you fall in mud they'll soak up sludge like a sponge

SNOWRIDER
    I use the Azonic freeride pants. The lower legs unzip so they double as shorts They are very tough and have been holding up great. armour fits under them nicely, and they are actually pretty damn waterproof, I even use them over long johns in the winter on my ski-bike

Only downfall is no pockets.....
    Last edited by Deweydude; 08-30-2006 at 07:51 PM.
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Pssh, pants? Real men don't wear pants. They ride in nothin' but full face and their b-day suit.

In all seriousness though, I don't really see the point in spending over $100 on shorts/pants. I can kinda see the toughness in a crash, but in an epic crash, my shorts would be the least of my worries.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    most pants are designed for MX and those guys dont pedal, try to rememebr that.

i have a set of Troy Lee Designs SE Pants and there pretty sweet but again there made for MX and wouldnt be the first thing id choose when going for a ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    Pssh, pants? Real men don't wear pants. They ride in nothin' but full face and their b-day suit.

In all seriousness though, I don't really see the point in spending over $100 on shorts/pants. I can kinda see the toughness in a crash, but in an epic crash, my shorts would be the least of my worries.
    protection is not the reason I want pants - thats what armour is for

i was just looking for something to keep the cold and wet out which for where I live happens to be about 5 months of the year

V10 Freerider
    Look at BMX pants. Made for pedaling and togh as nails

Danscomp.com
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

SNOWRIDER
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamjtriggs
    protection is not the reason I want pants - thats what armour is for

i was just looking for something to keep the cold and wet out which for where I live happens to be about 5 months of the year
    Dude my Azonic pants are awesome for that! like I said I even wear them in the snow
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

Oh, So Interesting!
    Core Rat makes pants

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.