mtbr member
    Oct 2012

DH MTB School Project

Hello everyone, my 14 year old son is doing and 8th grade school project on downhill mountain biking and he needs sometime to teach him about the sport. The project is basically something where the kid gets to choose something there passionate about and do something with it. For the project the school requires the kid to have a "mentor", which basically just means someone who is very good at the certain activity and can teach the student about it. It would be great if someone on this forum would be interested in mentoring my son. It would also be better if you lived in the bay area because we live near SF and can go mountain biking around SF and we normally go to Carlmont.

The mentor just needs to be skilled in downhill mountain biking and can teach my son about it.

If you are interested with meeting with my son to do some mountain biking you can contact me at casloux@nuevaschool.org or khrisloux@gmail.com.

Two other things I would like you to know are:

-you will not be payed

-you don't have to meet with my son on a daily basis, even just one time would be nice but if you could meet with us on more than one occasion that would be nice.

Glad to Be Alive
    stay away from TimF...I think he is on some website forced to stay away from young boys
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    OMG! Take him to a local bike shop. Good chance shop employees will be a mtb biker for sure. I can not believe he will give away his son to a total stranger. The father is not smart!!! Some people just should not be a father or mother!

mtbr member
    He said meet with "us" not just his son.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yes, you would be meeting with me and my son... Thanks for the clarification MBX5.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Your son could probably learn a fair bit just by watching videos, DH races and whatnot.
    Does your son have a DH bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    No he has a hard tail which is pretty beaten up but he is trying to buy a specialized p2 which is also a hard tail but he can't afford a full suspension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm assuming time isn't on your side since this is a school project. Bike shops often have ride days, you might want to check that out. I'm more inclined to go with Addict2FR, have a chat with the guys down at your local.
    I'm guessing joining a club is out of the question, how about a mtb clinic?
    Downhill Mountain Bike Clinics - Mountain Bike School by BetterRide

Picking some random dude off the internet wont guarantee you that he'll be skilled in DH.

brake later, pedal sooner
    if my knee wasn't messed up i'd love to help.... carlmont is my home turf.