mtbr member
    Feb 2008

DH helmet and armor basics?

I'm going to invest in a full face helmet and armor. Can someone point me to a source for generally what to look for in each?

I've only had experience with rental gear at resorts, and the last time I got a concussion and a broken rib wearing the stuff I rented. Not that I think the gear will make me indestructible - I don't - but it's motivated me to get some well-fitting stuff that will give me better protection. My biggest concern is making sure my head is as well protected as possible.

So, I'd love some sources or advice on what is the difference in the protection among helmet designs. For example, POC suggests that their Cortex DH has technology that offers more protection than their Cortex Flow, but haven't seen any opinions between brands. I imagine that the various certifications set some minimum, but if there is anything else to consider I'd like to know.

Anyhow, thanks for any thoughts or links to websites or threads - it'd be good to get some perspective before buying.

mtbr member
    I can't tell you about safety rating... I don't even think there's a SNELL or DOT certification on DH-FF helmets. From my perspective, here were the most important attributes to look for in a helmet (with the exception of cost, which in my case is high up there):
    1) fit
    2) comfort (there's a difference there... even if a helmet fits good, you won't know until later if it is comfortable, especially if you're going down steep terrain and looking up)
    3) ventilation (think summer temps)
    4) maintenance (ability to remove pads and wash them)
    5) weight
    6) ease of use (double hoops versus locking clips)
    7) aesthetics

As far as armor goes, I think the same rules apply. I have a compression suit and a roost guard/chest protector and honestly, I can't tell which one I prefer more. Both are a bit restricting, for sure, but both bring a sense of security that allows me to focus on riding better rather than cautious (well, not always). Others seem to prefer just a neck brace, but I don't think I'm going fast enough or aggressive enough to merit one. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

DH Jerseys

Just curious if you have a favorite DH jersey brand/model. Or do gravity riders even wear jerseys?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    Just curious if you have a favorite DH jersey brand/model. Or do gravity riders even wear jerseys?
    I've always thought jerseys on DH and freeride riders were pretty funny (unless they're actually in a race). I never wear jerseys when I'm riding, just whatever is comfortable and covers the skin enough to avoid major roadrash in the event of a tumble..

mtbr member
    I wear a short sleeve jersey but it looks more like a t-shirt than a jersey. It's the best of both worlds

mtbr member
    I typically wear a 3/4 sleeve jersey most days, long sleeve on cold days and just a T-Shirt on really hot days.

As far as helmets and pads go, get something comfortable, because if its not comfortable you wont wear it.

Professional Troll
    Whatever is cheap and on sale. The Nema's seem to breathe the best. Otherwise they are all basically the same.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Check out the Troy Lee Design D3 CF helmet, https://www.troyleedesigns.com/produ...at=33&id=15255, they claim that it could meet DOT standards (I love mine). Also, the Troy Lee Design UPS 7850 -HW shirt https://www.troyleedesigns.com/produ...t=104&id=15511

mtbr member
    I would not buy the CF just so much extra money. The composite at this price is unbeatable!!

Troy Lee Designs D3 Helmet Composite

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Upper body armor, Dainese is the brand to beat.

Very expensive, fits well, better ventilation / breathing than competition.

Gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece View Post
    Check out the Troy Lee Design D3 CF helmet, https://www.troyleedesigns.com/produ...at=33&id=15255, they claim that it could meet DOT standards (I love mine). Also, the Troy Lee Design UPS 7850 -HW shirt https://www.troyleedesigns.com/produ...t=104&id=15511
    Have you spent much time using the Troy Lee Design UPS 7850-HW shirt?
    Looks like great protection, but also looks very hot...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    T.H.E. makes a nice compression suit, has plenty of rib protection, which most other brands miss. As far as a jersey, I prefere to ride in a tee-shirt, rather than spending $65 or so on a jersey. Tee shirts/ jeseys will keep the dirt out of your pressure suit and off you, if you take a fall.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

RideDirt
    I prefer Jerseys only due to the way they are designed actually , i dont buy them to look cool or look fast. They are extremely comfy , light , fit great , breather insanely good in the correct areas , made to take falls , and some actually come light padded in certain areas . One thing tho, i try and keep the graphics to a normal stage lol . I have the Alpine stars jersey i bought from HuckNroll when they were on sale for cheap

If you want a helmet that passes real test , then look into a real MX helmet not made for mountain biking . Might be a little heavier and bulkier , but you know your head is safe 100%

I have the Giro Remedy and works great for me , light, cool, and great vision, but you prob want something better then that . Good Luck !

Perpetual Hack
    regarding the HW 7850.

It is hot. Even though HW means Hot Weather.

However, while moving it is really not too bad. Too hot to pedal in, but for shuttle or lift where you can take it off at the bottom - it rocks.

Now take this with a grain as I start to sweat when I look at a picture of the sun...

michael

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Fuel View Post
    Have you spent much time using the Troy Lee Design UPS 7850-HW shirt?
    Looks like great protection, but also looks very hot...
    I've only had to days of riding with it. But so far it is much cooler than my 661 EVO.

mtbr member
    What's everyone's opinion on neck collars?

I have my C5-C7 fused. I'm thinking a collar wouldn't be a unreasonable piece of protection.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    As far as Armor goes, I have no complaints with my Fox Titan Suit. I got it on sale for 120 bucks, I'm 5'11, My weight fluctuates between 170-180 and I fit into a large. It's a little restrictive, but once your in riding position, you don't notice it. It feels like its pulling your shoulders together, which in my opinion isn't a bad thing, I actually like it.

I've got a Fox V3 Carbon/Kevlar helmet. It's motocross certified, D.O.T, whatever it is. So it's a little bit over kill for DH, I'm thinking about getting a TLD next year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Depends on how hard your pushing it too...

Not how big you are going. If you are constantly pushing YOUR boundaries, then you'll want some serious protection.

If you are taking it easy and barely pushing things, then you can get away with a lot less.

You can just as hurt taking a 4' drop as a 20' jump, it just depends on your experience and riding level. I watched a guy break is hip falling backwards off a wheelie in the parking lot.

With full armor I tend to push it a lot more then with just my helmet.

I've been using 661 and RockGardn gear and both companies provide stellar equipment. Don't skimp on a helmet either, most things heal but the head is pretty much a 1 shot deal.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Jerseys are great over t's because once you get a jersey wet it dries out or wicks the moisture away. Cotton t-shirts just stay wet and uncomfortable. Also, TLD helmets are WAY OVERPRICED. Yes, they are beautiful, but really 50-75% more expensive than other stuff without any more bang for the buck. I have a carbon fiber Remedy, and it's a great helmet with a great fit.

Take the money you save not buying the TLD and buy a neck brace. I have Leatt. That's the best investment you will ever make. Just ask Tara Llanes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I agree with the Leatt. I barely notice it when riding and it could save you from an injury worse than dying.

That kinda hurt.
    Disclaimer: I work for EMS, so i sell Giro and therefore Originally bought my helmet because i got it for almost nothing.

I've been riding with a Giro Remedy for a year, and i've been super happy with it. While i originally got it because of cost, i've kept it because it feels solid. The Adjustments were easy to make out of the box, and while it's not the lightest helmet i own, it really feels solid! I've taken some small spills on it, with little or no damage.

It should go without saying that any large crash on your head, regardless of how the helmet "looks" should warrant a whole new one, so spending ridiculous amounts of money on something you'll need to replace after a bad crash seems foolish to me, unless it provides an extra amount of safety, which carbon does not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I got a specialized diviant 2 recently and its pretty light and vented. I would recomend that and any 661 or Giro product.
    b

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

check out Cyclegear

I picked up my DH armor from Cyclegear. It helps to try on the stuff for fit, as many of the previous posters have mentioned. I picked up an Alpinestar MX setup for a competitive price. Works great Also, I have a Dainese helmet that is super light and comfy.

Glad to Be Alive
    I ride in the summer when temps are over one hundred........I got tired of concussions or getting my bell rung.....I went to full motor cross helmets and have never had my bell rung in the last 6 years.......I like the 5 series by oneil
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days