Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DH/FRd's...SURF???

2K views 48 replies 21 participants last post by  pdirt 
#1 ·
Thought I would ask if any of you guys surf? I have been surfing for 10 years and most of my friends who surf also DH/FR bike.

#2 ·
I do surf but not real well. I've always been involved with board sports - wakeboarding, skateboarding, snowboarding, and surfing. Just picked up a new 5'11" tri-fin fish over Memorial day while down in FL, it's super fun.

Headed to Costa Rica in early September for a few days but land-locked in UT means surfing only happens a few times a year.

#4 ·
Err said:
I do surf but not real well. I've always been involved with board sports - wakeboarding, skateboarding, snowboarding, and surfing. Just picked up a new 5'11" tri-fin fish over Memorial day while down in FL, it's super fun.

Headed to Costa Rica in early September for a few days but land-locked in UT means surfing only happens a few times a year.
You will LOVE Cosa: Vid from my trip:

https://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/MKRobert81/?action=view&current=MikeWipeOutCostaRica04.flv

#7 ·
Yep...always check the wave forecast before I make weekend riding plans. Been surfing for 20 years - learned in Maryland, lived in FL for 6 years, and now Santa Cruz is my home break for the last 10 years. Some years I surf more and others I ride more. This year I'm definitely riding more.

After the heyday 90's for DH, things got a bit wierd with the 50 lb bikes and all so I spent more time surfing. Now, DH seems to be on the upswing again and I'm definitely more stoked on it now.

#8 ·
Err said:
That's funny, but when I was in CR 2 years ago, I met guys from Utah, Colorado, Pennsylvania...all of these landlocked states. I was a bit surprised...thought I was heading out on a Centro surf adventure where only hardcore surfers go and it turned out to be like Disneyland. No offense - it was really cool and had a great time.

Next year we're going to Nicaragua to get away from the crowds, if it's not too late. Peru, Chile the year after.

#11 ·
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

#14 ·
MDJ said:
That's funny, but when I was in CR 2 years ago, I met guys from Utah, Colorado, Pennsylvania...all of these landlocked states. I was a bit surprised...thought I was heading out on a Centro surf adventure where only hardcore surfers go and it turned out to be like Disneyland. No offense - it was really cool and had a great time.

Next year we're going to Nicaragua to get away from the crowds, if it's not too late. Peru, Chile the year after.
I hear ya. My bro in law is a core surfer type. He's been to Costa Rica a few times and says the same. Their crew is headed to Panama this year to get off the path a bit. But I'm sure I'll have a great time there, we're way more chill on the surfing. Besides, did HI twice last year so need something different this year.

#15 ·
just got back from the annual surf trip. Before the trip it's always on my mind not to hurt myself riding, and since we ride year round it's good to tone it down and work on technique and then take a month off the bike to let those nagging injuries heal. Sure enough, got back and third ride I slammed the ground hard, feels like I have internal injuries now...

People always wonder why surfers from Hawaii need to travel to surf....here's a couple photos from the trip, 2 of us out....

need to try central america someday, does it get this good?

#26 ·
MDJ said:
I'm afraid if I go to Indo I won't want to come back. Those pictures didn't do anything to change this belief. It looks like you scored it good.
zachdank said:
If i could surf those waves everyday, i would give all my bikes away, and never look back. I miss the ocean/surfing so bad, these pics make me want to cry.
:cool:
returning from these trips it always feels like it was a dream. I think this was #10 for us, been doing a month, few years ago, 45 days. We love the indonesian people and try to get away from the surf tourist culture that is getting a little out of hand in most areas. We've been really lucky to experience what we have. Traveling and living the simple life there does take it's toll, and every year we question whether we are up for it again. Readjusting back to our normal life is hard, snapping out of the dream state hasn't happened yet, maybe a BC trip will fix that ;).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.