mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Dh/fr bike to get

Hey guys this is my first post here.
    I a am 14 years old and I bought a 2007 (or 08) Gary Fisher Fat Possum XO and cracked the frame the other day after just 2 months. I cracked it from a crash. I ride mainly trails and jumps with my friends, and I'm joining my high schools mountain biking team which is trail/xc. I really like urban stuff like drops and stairs and want to get into a lot of that too. I don't think an all mountain would last very long because of how hard I ride my bikes. I think I want a freeride bike. The problem is that I can't afford more than one bike so this has to be able to do everything. I'm up for taking a fr to trails and I willing to face the challenge of climbing it, if it is realistic. Is there any bikes I should look for in particular? I am 5'6" and growing. I weigh 115lbs and I am size medium frame.
    I found 2 that I like, let me know what you think:

Astrix Huckster: [URL]https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/5079658181.html

Iron horse 7 point 5: Iron Horse 7 Point 5 Dh, freeride, slopestyle, jump bike
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 06-23-2015 at 05:26 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    good luck pedaling the iron horse...it probably weighs 42 to 45 pounds...won't be able to buy parts because they are out of business

astrix the same thing.....

maybe look for an old Canfield "The One" great do all bike....or get a bigger budget but those 2 bikes are not going to be good do all bikes
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting the Astrix and it is AWESOME!! it will definanltly suit all my needs except that it will be tough to pedal. It has a 1x8 setup. Do you know a different 1x8 that will help me climb more while still giving me speed on downhills?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    How big of drops\jumps do you do?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I currently will do no more than like 8 ft long jumps (3-4 ft off the ground) and 5 foot drops. In the future I will be going bigger, but not for now.

And also how do I know if I need to replace the springs in my shocks to fit my weight? They were for a bigger guy and I only weigh 115 lbs, but I will be growing a lot because I'm 14. Is it worth buying them, and just go back to the others when I grow or should I just leave them on because of the hastle and just not worry about it.