mtbr member
    Sep 2012

DH-bike for a weekend warrior

I'm looking for change my enduro-bike to DH-bike. Riding will take place in local bike parks and someday (maybe) racing.
    Can you recommend for me decent DH-bike, which will be worth every $? The price range is approximately $1200-$3200
    There might be a good deal on used Intense M3 2005 ($2100), but I'm confused about "for racing only"-stamp.
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    the "for racing only" badge has nothing to do with strength or thickness of tubing like so many internet wizards continually seem to believe. It has everything to do with the angles of the bike, the FRO badge equates to the frame having angles that came from feedback from Intense's many really really fast people... that being said - paying over 2k for a used M3 seems pretty dumb... if your looking for a cheap weekend warrior bike that will do the job, id look for a nice iron horse sunday, i had one and while every bike has its issues, i could go to the hardware store and get every single bolt and washer i needed to fix the problem - if your super fat and ride like a hack and also like to huck large **** to flat, if you crack it your pretty SOL. Giant glorys are also good value for money too and if you can get an Intense M6, i think your golden - lots of amazing deals to be had between the 2k-3k range

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    my slopestyle is deemed for race only by the people of intense. i dont know how or why

mtbr member
    While the FRO badge the not significant to the quality of the material a novist may find it difficult to set up due to all the adjustments that can be made to the frame for pure DH racing.
    It is beyond dumb to spend over 2k for a M3 and I'd stay away from a M6 to. I believe it had design issues.
    A Sunday is solid and under 2k, but their out of business so good luck getting a replacement rear triangle if or when it breaks.Giant Glory's is also solid and can be found for cheap. Older model Demo's, V-10's, Sessions, are out there for a fair price. Don't discount Big Hit, Diver 8, 951, and Status as viable starter bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Your price range is pretty huge. For $1,200, you can get a decent enough older bike. For $2,500, you can get a brand new low end bike that will work pretty well too. For $3,200, you can get a very nice used bike.

But what is your intended use? What are are you in, what are your local bike parks, are you more into jumping or more into rough technical trails?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    Your price range is pretty huge. For $1,200, you can get a decent enough older bike. For $2,500, you can get a brand new low end bike that will work pretty well too. For $3,200, you can get a very nice used bike.
    My home place is in Finland and we might have different prices here? Price range is huge because I just want to have very nice bike.

Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    But what is your intended use? What are are you in, what are your local bike parks, are you more into jumping or more into rough technical trails?
    Itís about 50/50 for jumps and drops and rough trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr View Post
    It is beyond dumb to spend over 2k for a M3 and I'd stay away from a M6 to. I believe it had design issues.
    Giant Glory's is also solid and can be found for cheap. Older model Demo's, V-10's, Sessions, are out there for a fair price. Don't discount Big Hit, Diver 8, 951, and Status as viable starter bikes.
    I was looking for Glorys, Session 88ís, Demo 8ís and V-10ís. So Iím on right track and maybe I will stop looking for M3/M6ís.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm as new as it gets to this style of riding but I bought a Kona Entourage, 2012 for well within your price range and I couldnt be happier with it. Now, as others will probably say, the Entourage really isn't a DH bike but maybe more slope or freestyle/ride. The 2012 Operator can be had right now for $2800.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If you want a nice bike that can do everything (jumps and technical), I'd say that you're on the right track in looking at the Demo 8, Session 88, and Glory. I'd stay away from the M6 and V10 aluminum, as these require much more work in the jumps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What do you think of Mondraker Summum Pro Team 2011? It has Fox 40/Fox RC4, Formula One brakes, Saint 9s transmission. Deal would be around $2500
    Is there something with this bike I should know or why I shouldn't have it?

Glad to Be Alive
    sheesh for that price range you can get a M9 complete for 2500
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    sheesh for that price range you can get a M9 complete for 2500
    No way you could get a M9 for $2500 in Finland.