Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Wink DH Bike Build Question

I am new to DH bikes, but there are a lot of crazy near straight down hills I want to ride but do not have the right bike for it. I don't know the difference in a DH and FR bike, but I am not riding a lift to the top, I have to ride/walk to the top which is around 5-8 miles on average.

So am I missing anything from this bike build?
    Did I select anything incompatible without knowing it?
    I basically took the spec list from the top GT Fury package and then tweaked it for my self a bit more.
    I think I can put this together for less than GT including wheels.

GT Fury Alloy Frame Kit 2013
    Marzocchi 888 RC3 Evo V.2 Fork 2013 White, 1 1/8" Steerer, 20mm Axle
    Hope Top Crown and Integrated Stem Black, Marzocchi 888
    Shimano M825 Saint Crankset Black, 170mm, 83mm
    Sram XG-1099 XX 10 Speed Cassette 11-32T
    Sram PC-1090R Chain 2010 Silver, 10SP
    E.13 LG1+ Chain Retention System 2009 White, 32-36T, ISCG05
    Shimano M820 Saint Rear Derailleur Black, DH, 11-23T/11-28T
    Shimano M820 Saint Shift Lever Black, Right Only
    Shimano M820 Saint Disc Brake Set Black, Right
    Shimano M820 Saint Disc Brake Set Front, Left
    Shimano SM-RT98 Rotor 203mm
    Fox Doss 5" Dropper Seatpost Black, 31.6mm
    Truvativ Hussefelt Comp Riserbar Blast Black, 700, 20mm Rise
    Cane Creek Angleset ZS49 .5/1.0/1.5 Kit BAA0203K, 1.5HT, 1-1/8ST, 3-
    ANGLE Kit
    Oury Mountain Grip Black
    Alloy Headset Spacers Black, 5mm & 10mm, 1 1/8"

Planning CK Hubs on proper DH Rims, not yet selected.

I'm not sure on the riser handle bar... suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by Trail_Blazer; 07-20-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Why are you putting a dropper post on a DH bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    '86 the dropper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    mbell is right, no need for the dropper post on a dh bike and and the bars at 700mm are to narrow and twitchy, that width is more xc oriented. You want to slow down the steering on a dh bike, I would suggest 750mm at the bare minimum.

mtbr member
    Please let me know what you all think about this?

I can easily change the handle bars down the line it's not a deal breaker as of this moment.

I get what you all mean about the wide bars.
    However, my choice for narrow bars is because it fits my body better on my Trail bike.
    I rode with a nice DH Easton Havoc/Haven bar at 711mm and it made me hold my wrists at a too bent angle which hurt over time.
    I moved back to a 680mm bar and it's just right, on my XC bike that is.
    Maybe downhill handlebars are shaped for the bike differently because the whole bike geometry is different.

mtbr member
    I wanted a dropper post based on riding my local area, I often will enjoy a nice a few miles or more of mixed single track and up hill and short descents or drop offs, before I get to the BIGer descents.
    During the long ride up there are a lot of opportunities for me to change my seat height and I'd rather not have to break my flow.
    If I find it to be unnecessary, I'll just move it to my light Trail bike.

mtbr member
    Do you all have suggestions on proper DH Rim & Spokes for a tubeless setup which to build on with CK Hubs.

Tires are not on my list yet, I have a feeling I will have to try a few to find the right tire for my intended trails.
    Because I want to enjoy some light hard-pack trails for 10 miles before I get to the downhill sections and I don't want to be fully worn out from paddle wheels dragging me down.
    The tire right below a Hans Damph is probably what I need, with sidewall protection.

RideDirt
    Sounds like you DONT need a full blown DH bike to me .. I think you need to look elsewhere and try a more proper build such as maybe a 6-7 inch bike .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Sounds like you DONT need a full blown DH bike to me .. I think you need to look elsewhere and try a more proper build such as maybe a 6-7 inch bike .
    No one needs any bike, it's what I want though.
    I like to ride DH and need a DH bike for that.
    I disagree with the notion a bike can only be used for one type of thing ever.
    Heck I have gone down many times hill on my HT in places I should not have, sometimes even crashed bad.
    All in the name of fun.

The DH bike will help me safely go full on the crazy DH trails I find, instead of skipping the jumps due to bike geometry, not just the quantity of suspension travel.

I could probably use a bike like "The One" to but I'm more interested in this Fury frame.
    I've seen videos of people riding it just fine on single track and then bombing down.
    That's kind of like what I do too.
    I also think can transplant any of these components onto a different frame, with minimal effort.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by schristie11 View Post
    No one needs any bike, it's what I want though.
    I like to ride DH and need a DH bike for that.
    I disagree with the notion a bike can only be used for one type of thing ever.
    Heck I have gone down many times hill on my HT in places I should not have, sometimes even crashed bad.
    All in the name of fun.

The DH bike will help me safely go full on the crazy DH trails I find, instead of skipping the jumps due to bike geometry, not just the quantity of suspension travel.

I could probably use a bike like "The One" to but I'm more interested in this Fury frame.
    I've seen videos of people riding it just fine on single track and then bombing down.
    That's kind of like what I do too.
    I also think can transplant any of these components onto a different frame, with minimal effort.
    Cool story bro ... by the way , the bike frame that you mention of " the one " i would take over the gt fury everyday of the week.

Well your obviously not riding at a bike park if your climbing 10 miles are you? Are you doing shuttle runs ? Thats fine that you have seen videos of people riding this bike on a singletrack cuz seeing and doing is 2 different worlds. I mean from a previous thread you started asking the difference between DH and FR , what experience do you have ? Have you ever been to real DH trails ?

The point is , use the proper bike for the proper riding and trail system . Im just talking from experience but thats fine , good luck and enjoy pedaling that pig around .

mtbr member
    Cool story bro ... by the way , the bike frame that you mention of " the one " i would take over the gt fury everyday of the week.

Well your obviously not riding at a bike park if your climbing 10 miles are you? Are you doing shuttle runs ? Thats fine that you have seen videos of people riding this bike on a singletrack cuz seeing and doing is 2 different worlds. I mean from a previous thread you started asking the difference between DH and FR , what experience do you have ? Have you ever been to real DH trails ?

The point is , use the proper bike for the proper riding and trail system . Im just talking from experience but thats fine , good luck and enjoy pedaling that pig around .
    aedubber, you did your job by giving a fellow MTB biker the appropriate advice, now wash your hands of it. These ego builds always end in regret and a whole lot of wasted money. It is obvious the OP is unexperienced w/DH, which is fine, but unfortunately does not want to be educated, which is counter productive. My grandmother said it the best, "A hard head makes a soft a$$".
    Last edited by Drth Vadr; 07-20-2013 at 04:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just assumed he was getting the bike as his DH sled, his money his prerogative and potentially his problem. I hope it works out for him.

perpetual pucker factor
    If you are set on a dropper post, I'd not go for the DOSS. Lots of issues (unless they have recently changed the design. Go for a KS or a Reverb if the KS isn't in stock.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    I'm confisued, what's the problem, what is it I am not open minded about?
    Please do educate me.
    What am I missing that is obvious to those of you with lots of DH experiance?
    I have not actually heard any advice other then, do not buy a Down Hill bike.

Maybe I should be using the words Freeride or slopestyle and bigmountain style riding. I'm new so how should I know. I see insane huge hills I want to ride and need a very slack geometry to ride down them and probably a high bottom bracket.
    I do not have the option to demo a series of DH bike frames.
    However, when I sit on the bikes like a Remedy or a StumpJumper, the geometry is not angled enough for the downhill runs I am looking at.
    Why buy an Endo bike if I want to go DH?

Maybe I need to loose a limb on the side of Mt. Everest to prove that I want to ride DH and that I'm worthy of it?
    I do not think I am the one with Ego problems, I get the same indignant responces from many people on these forums, who claim to be know it alls but never actually teach, just point and laugh at the newbies.
    Real nice way to build a community.

The guy's who run the local clubs here ride DH bikes and HT bikes and everything in between and never judge or look down on others like I find on these forums.
    I guess I will give up hope that the internet forums are anything but a waste of time.
    I'll go back to meeting real people in the real world who speak with mutual respect, on the internet anyone can poke you in the eye and get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr View Post
    aedubber, you did your job by giving a fellow MTB biker the appropriate advice, now wash your hands of it. These ego builds always end in regret and a whole lot of wasted money. It is obvious the OP is unexperienced w/DH, which is fine, but unfortunately does not want to be educated, which is counter productive. My grandmother said it the best, "A hard head mades a soft a$$".
    Quote Originally Posted by danglingmanhood View Post
    I just assumed he was getting the bike as his DH sled, his money his prerogative and potentially his problem. I hope it works out for him.
    Last edited by Trail_Blazer; 07-20-2013 at 02:45 PM.

mtbr member
    I was looking for a dropper that has steps, do the reverb or ks have steps or infinate travel only?

Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    If you are set on a dropper post, I'd not go for the DOSS. Lots of issues (unless they have recently changed the design. Go for a KS or a Reverb if the KS isn't in stock.

Huffy Rider
    Build a bike you can ride, like a Canfield The One. Don't use narrow XC bars. If you have never ridden a true 63.5 HTA DH sled, you will have quite the learning curve....especially something with such a high BB. You will need to be a master at cornering technique or this geometry will frustrate you. Good luck and maybe do some research on geometry and what all the numbers mean.

mtbr member
    Aedubber is always like that, don't take it personally. People are just trying to help you get a bike you will be happy with, even if they are a bit blunt about it.

If you want to do singletrack with it too, have a look at 180mm FR bikes with full length seat tubes. You won't compromise much on the downs, but going up will be a lot more pleasant.

If you can, try and rent a DH bike at a bike park first, it will help you know what you're getting into. People have run droppers on their DH bikes and placed in world cup races, so its not as if it isn't done, it's just that pedalling a full on DH bike uphill is really going to suck either way. You might as well nix the dropper and just walk. You will be less tired when you get to the top and will consequently get more runs in, trust me.

As for the bars, you will probably run a much shorter stem on your DH/FR bike than your trail bike, so longer bars will fit better. You can always cut them down if you change your mind.

mtbr member
    So you all recommend I look at a 7inch / 180mm AM bike rather then a DH "Sled".
    I figured I could take most of the parts list (above) and plant it on most AM frames too.

I need to have enough energy to ride safely uphill on gnarly trails about 5 miles just to get to the 5 mile DH run. The DH runs lead out into 8 miles of scenic flowing single track so I figured I'd enjoy that too.

I have a nice trail bike with 140mm that I ride on single track and the trails and have tried the down hill runs a few times in my area but it needs a much more cushy bike to soak up the hits. I made it fine but it wasn't so much fun picking the tame lines and not going big.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, these bike have geometry and travel to handle the dh aspect but with the ability to climb. We're just trying to let you know what would be the best tool for the job, not the only tool. I assume you are going to be dropping serious coin on your bike and buyers remorse sucks.

mtbr member
    Do do I need to start a new thread in the AM forum? lol

RideDirt
    I gave you my advice and i personally feel its the right advice from the description your giving me .Im not going to get into details but however you take my reply is your problem not mine , so rather being an arrogant tool , why dont you have a seat , sip on some stfu , and listen to good advice . I am not speaking as a know it all , i am speaking from EXPERIENCE .. I really did want to help you and give you some over sight but i wont waste my time .Have a nice day and goodluck .

You dont need to start multiple threads, you need to get a clue first .

mtbr member
    aedubber, bro, I didn't actually object to your reply at all, I am sorry for accidentally including you with the other troll comments above.
    I do hear your advice, and respect your opinion.
    The jabbers who followed your reply to taint me instead of advise me, are the ones who I don't appreciate.

I gave you my advice and i personally feel its the right advice from the description your giving me. Have a nice day and goodluck.
    Last edited by Trail_Blazer; 07-20-2013 at 06:30 PM.

mtbr member

Intense Uzzi

Cove STD

Pivot Firebird

Specialized Enduro Expert Evo

I'd recommend something like that, but they are not really AM bikes.

A.D.D. unleashed
    May 2007

Re: DH Bike Build Question

The full blown dh frame , will not want to turn at slow trail speed , it will also be very hard to get the front end up. Not to mention it will be very hard to pedal uphill sitting way over the back of the bike .
    Your looking for something in the big am / fr category not quite so long and slack . something like a banshee rune , transition blindside , Canfield the one , or a slope style type bike . yes you can ride the dh bike on an xc trail , but is it fun ? Not really , the bike will not be playful at all. its a lot easier and imo its more enjoyable to ride a shorter travel bike if you are going to be pedaling a lot and not shuttling constantly. There isn't many trails you can't ride on 6 inch bike that you can on a 8 inch bike.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    schristie11, if you want to get some of you desire and some of what you really need you should look at a Ruckus 7.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast