mtbr member
    May 2008

DH bike beating the SNOT out of me...

I am riding a 2009 Yeti 303RDH bike, with Fox40 fork, and DHX 5 shock. today I was riding some lift served and the bike isn't as plush as I remember. In fact, it was down right harsh.

History:
    The fork is a 2005 Fox 40, and it was rebuilt 2 years ago (I didn't ride at all last year) but the fork only has realistically 2 click of rebound damping control before the knob stops turning. Those 2 clicks make a difference over the clicks prior. So I think that the fork was not put together correctly when it was rebuilt.

The DHX isn't leaking. There is a lot of adjustment. I base lined it this evening (it was pretty far out of the suggested range of adjustment) and will try it on a local hike-a-bike trail tomorrow.

Options:

I like the bike, and it has been great. I am thinking about putting a newer fork on it, along with sending the DHX to PUSH to have it rebuilt. Forks, I was thinking about a newer Fox40 with the air springs, but I have come to understand that the older coil forks are more desirable to heavier riders like myself.

Sell the bike as is and buy a Canfield Jedi...

New fork and brakes for the Yeti (which is what I am primarily considering).

mtbr member
    The 40 float is a great fork. Check your pm's
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    sell and buy Jedi for sure if you have the spare cash.

Don't worry about air vs coil, you'll be fine on either. If you think you might be wanting to replace the frame anytime soon, I'd do it now. You'll end up buying a 26" fork and then it will be useless when you upgrade your frame, and the resell value won't be very high.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I assume that if you sell the bike and buy a Jedi, you'd be starting over from scratch and doing a complete brand new build? If so, I would do that option. There is nothing better than getting a new bike of course! Upgrading from a 2009 303 to a new Jedi, and from 2005 suspension parts to brand new, it will be like being born again lol that's what I would do, but I'm never the one to make the most financially responsible decision either. I'm sure your 09 303 frame would work a treat with some new suspension, even just having the existing ones serviced properly. I personally love getting a new bike, and collecting all the parts for a new build is fun for me too.

If you are going with brand new suspension, I wouldn't worry about air/coil. the new air stuff is so good they feel 95%+ similar to a coil IMO. And being a big guy, it can be hard to find the right spring rates for coil suspension. they make the gaps between spring rates alot bigger at the higher weights sometimes, leading you to have to settle for a spring rate that isn't ideal. air springs eliminate that entirely, letting you choose precisely the spring rate you want/need, when you want it, for free. pro's and con's to both, but I certainly don't think you should overlook air.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Why couldn't I run a 27.5" fork with a 26" wheel?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Also, I have to pay the trek remedy off before I can buy a new DH bike

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerstripe40 View Post
    Why couldn't I run a 27.5" fork with a 26" wheel?
    my buddy is with his Jedi
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Life Is Short
    Mushroom beats up my back
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DH bike beating the SNOT out of me...-mushroom.jpg  

Ride More, Eat More

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    theres no problem running a 26 wheel in a 27.5 fork. the trail numbers will be slightly different, but I don't think it will be noticeable to mere mortals like us. maybe a pro could feel the difference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If you want something a little more budget friendly, consider finding a Dorado. Excellent fork and I'm sure you can find one inexpensively.

Otherwise, buy the Jedi.

Uphill? What's that
    Get the Jedi with DVO suspension.. You won't regret it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The other bike I'm drooling over, now that the Turner DHR is NLA, is the Pivot Phoenix.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerstripe40 View Post
    The other bike I'm drooling over, now that the Turner DHR is NLA, is the Pivot Phoenix.
    check the Pinkbike buy/sell for DHR's. There are some incredible deals to be had. And there are always one or two for sale on there that are essentially brand new. I just upgraded from my 2011 size large, raw DHR, to a 2014 brand new, unridden ano'd black XL DHR. Found on Pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    Get the Jedi with DVO suspension.. You won't regret it.
    Second this, I have a used-new to me 2014 Jedi and I can't express how happy I am with this bike. I recently got back from the Whistler area and couldn't believe the stuff I was able to ride on the Jedi. I've had multiple bikes and the Canfield Suspension is by far my favorite. As mentioned you won't regret getting a Jedi.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I took the bike to the LBS and had the fork and shock checked out.
    They think that the rubber bladder in the damper might be at issue and are going to service the damper for me. They think there might be some air in the oil of the DHX-5, but weren't sure and said to ride it after having base lined it and see if it still has the problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    have you ever had the DHX-5 serviced or oil changed before? and what fork do you have, Fox 40?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The DHX-5 has never been serviced.
    Fork is a 2005 Fox 40.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    shock could definitely use a service. Fork is old, could probably use a service too if it hasn't had one in a while