mtbr member

demo 8 pro's and con's

so im looking at a 2007 demo 8 frame what do you gus think about the bike pro's con's

i have an 05 bighit now... so i think no matter what im going to be pleased

i like to hit jumps, no super tech sets or anything
    drops and rocky trails i love and i push up hill so i dont mind that it dosent pedal great... but what dh bike does?

Capricious youth...
    Actually, I think they pedal just fine.

They absorb small bumps really well, and track pretty well.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    They are pretty much awesome. The suspension design feels very balanced and sensitive, but still pedals pretty well with some Pro Pedal. It is very neutral with braking, no input in the suspension can be noticed in any situation.

That said the bike absolutely rails, I have never gone so fast in super rough sections and off camber sketchy highspeed corners. This can be attributed to it's low BB height and long wheelbase. It is super stable at highspeed. It feels super natural off of drops and in the air.

The only negatives are that it's a tad cumbersome at slow speed (because of long wheelbase and 64 degree headangle) and you'll hit you're pedals on rocks more than with the Big Hit because of the Low BB. The really cool thing though is that you can flip the shock mount to get a bit higher BB and steeper headangle. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm sure that it will make it a bit more nimble at slower speeds and will keep from smacking the cranks and pedals off or rocks so much.

mtbr member
    any idea on the headangle when you flip the shock mount or how much it bring the bb height up?

has anyone tried this

mtbr member
    The headangle with the mount in the slack position is 64 degrees, and 65 degrees in the steep position. The BB height goes from 368mm to 380mm.

mtbr member
    Well for one, the demo can support a mini cooper.
    [SIZE=4]Hey, My Picture is Finally [/SIZE][SIZE=4]of Me!!![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthemountain82
    Well for one, the demo can support a mini cooper.
    You certainly won't be shearing the headtube off, that's for sure. Specialized uses a lot of forged parts to make the Demo super strong.

I just took some runs on mine in the steep position, it feels great. The higher BB feels just right and the slightly steeper head angle gives it much more of a freeride feel. Hard to describe unless you actually ride it back to back.

You should get one. Think of how cool you will be with the kiddee's when they see you slide up on Sam's rig.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    the riding position feels a lot lower and stretched out compared to a couple other bikes i have been on. I have the 40s/5.0 on mine and i love the combination, however its hard to get enough air on kicker style jumps (not like the its really designed for this kindof riding anyhow). But as far as doing techinal areas it saves my ass quite a bit, and it loves drops. And it pedals alright depending on how u set ur suspension up. Im happy w/ the purchase, and would do it again.

mtbr member

demo

Quote Originally Posted by rustyskills
    so im looking at a 2007 demo 8 frame what do you gus think about the bike pro's con's

i have an 05 bighit now... so i think no matter what im going to be pleased

i like to hit jumps, no super tech sets or anything
    drops and rocky trails i love and i push up hill so i dont mind that it dosent pedal great... but what dh bike does?
    Just finished my second year riding downhill bikes on local trails...but mostly Northstar . I picked up the techniques quickly because of 30yrs of moto
    but was struggling with speed in and out of the burms. The first year was riding a Session 7 ,which was a good bike, but my son needed a ride... so I gave him the Trek. Bought a new demo 7 and upon the first time on the bike....I knew I had something special . I 'm still learning the turns and burms....but almost overnight ..my speed doubled . I can't stress enough how well these bikes make you a better rider!!they just destroy the burms ,drops, rocks,and jumps in your path. Gave the 7 to my wife and got a new Demo 8...can't wait to wring it out!

mtbr member
    thanks for the good input guys keep it coming!

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst

You should get one. Think of how cool you will be with the kiddee's when they see you slide up on Sam's rig.....
    Thats why you got one right?
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    I've been on a Demo 7 for almost two years now and I do have to admit that it's a sweet rig. I tend to get bored of my bikes fast, I usually want (and do buy) something new every year so that I can constantly rotate the old and new in my quiver. But the Demo is probably going to stay put for another season or two after some winter modifications.

Square edged hits simply disappear under this thing, it loves to go scary fast in the rough and in rock gardens. As far as jumping and hucking goes, well I'm not the best and admittedly am slowly learning on how to do bigger jumps but the bike hasn't seemed to mind me taking off of all that I have. As far as weight goes... yeah it weighs 40 pounds or so but I can stillg et up most hills without too much pain.

Get one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Thats why you got one right?
    I got the frame long before there was any press release of Sam going to Specialized. Sure Sam's pretty fast, but that doesn't mean anything for me. Plus I work at an Iron Horse Prodigy dealer and could've gotten hooked up super hard on a Sunday, but decided against it because I'm not really a fan of DW link. If I was really like that I would have gotten a Sunday a long time ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Dowst can you elaborate on flipping the shock mount? Id love to try this with mine because the extra clearance would be awesome out here in NE

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Do you just take the mount thats on the front triangle and flip it 180?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod
    Do you just take the mount thats on the front triangle and flip it 180?
    Yes.