Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Demo + 40 + Special Bumpers = Dents!!!!!

I should have known better than to trust those chincy bumpers specialized is sending out to use when you put a fox 40 on their new 2011 frames. This damage was done after a few practice runs at a local flow track. No crashes or hard turning, only some minor whipping. Probably about 15 minutes of seat time on the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Demo + 40 + Special Bumpers = Dents!!!!!-1.jpg  

Demo + 40 + Special Bumpers = Dents!!!!!-2-copy.jpg  

Demo + 40 + Special Bumpers = Dents!!!!!-3-copy.jpg  

Demo + 40 + Special Bumpers = Dents!!!!!-4-copy.jpg  

Demo + 40 + Special Bumpers = Dents!!!!!-5-copy.jpg  

-=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 Demo 8.II Highlighter Yellow
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

Glad to Be Alive
    call specialize in the morning

mtbr member
    im going to have my shop deal with it. I dont think its enough damage to attempt to warrenty the frame?!?!?
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jurichar
    im going to have my shop deal with it. I dont think its enough damage to attempt to warrenty the frame?!?!?

Pretty sure they'll send you a new frame so you can dent it again Knowing Specialized , they wont waste their time trying to avoid getting you a new frame.
    Specialized = $$$ no fussing around for this sort of stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq
    Pretty sure they'll send you a new frame so you can dent it again Knowing Specialized , they wont waste their time trying to avoid getting you a new frame.
    Specialized = $$$ no fussing around for this sort of stuff
    figures. As cool as it would be to go through a frame after 15 minutes of riding. I spent about 40 hours applying clear bra to this entire bike. there is no way in hell i want to go through that amount of pain and suffering again. not to mention the cost of 3m clear bra. its not really noticeable right now and i really dont think its going to be a frame integrity issue (at least if it stays at this level). If it gets worse...maybe?!? I'm just pissed that specialized allowed this to happen. Its a $6200 bike...maybe they should remember that when they design parts for it.
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    That is definitely worth a warranty, I can't believe that didn't get noticed in testing. I wonder if it happened to berrecloths bike since he runs fox too?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    In the mean time throw some of those clear picture frame hanging "bumpers" on the frame to prevent that again. I feel your pain, new bike, un-crashed that sucks ! If you get another frame its back to the same problem as you know. (til you come up with a idea). I always thought those Acros headset with the built in stops was cool. This would def be a good use for one. Hope you get sorted !

Now with More Wood
    Those things look woefully inadequate. Was it not an option just to run the big bumpers that came with the fork?

Quote Originally Posted by gollub01
    I always thought those Acros headset with the built in stops was cool. This would def be a good use for one. Hope you get sorted !
    Thanks for mentioning this one, it looks quite interesting indeed, for future reference.

http://www.acros.de/PRODUCTS/HEADSET...:3_91_145.html

Its got what plants crave
    Spec will probably call it crash damage and void your warranty. Sorry bout your luck
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    Those things look woefully inadequate. Was it not an option just to run the big bumpers that came with the fork?
    Yeah. I 2nd that question.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

Quote Originally Posted by norbar
    Yeah. I 2nd that question.
    It's a matter of the headtube not being long enough for the Fox 40 lower crowns (that have the pinch bolts in the back) to clear the bottom tube when turning to it's maximum radius (when the stanchion bumpers usually touch the frame).

It's only an issue with the Fox 40, yet still an issue.

(There's a thread discussing this here: 2011 Demo 8 and 2011 Fox 40's - rubber bumpers don't fit )

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So correct me if Im wrong but it appears that you cannot run any other fork than the BoXXers ( and possibly 888, Dorados ???) on that frame .Neither can you run ANYTHING else than the stock RC4...no DB, no Elka, BOS and not even the RS yet( which to me is the most laughable thing ever since the development on this thing was done on a RS shock)

Worst part is , the stock RC4 is poorly valved and there's not much you can about it unless if you know how to play with shims and tune rear shocks...

Pretty f-ing lame if you ask me, surprise no one said anything about that ... and Specialized is pumping hundreds of those frames out the door, what a joke...SAM HILL, the man himself only started to test this thing back in July and by September they were already taking orders...not a whole lot of development if you ask me...

Sorry for your frame bro, like I said earlier, Im pretty sure they'll hook u up with another frame but I would get rid of it and support a different company...

Boomslang
    Quote Originally Posted by jurichar
    I should have known better than to trust those chincy bumpers specialized is sending out to use when you put a fox 40 on their new 2011 frames. This damage was done after a few practice runs at a local flow track. No crashes or hard turning, only some minor whipping. Probably about 15 minutes of seat time on the bike.
    We are aware that the first batch of bumpers did not turn out as durable as we would have liked. Sorry that you had a bad experience with them. Your shop can get better ones from customer service.

Boomslang

Boomslang
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    Was it not an option just to run the big bumpers that came with the fork?

No - the Fox crown hits the DT before the bumpers do.

Boomslang

Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq
    So correct me if Im wrong but it appears that you cannot run any other fork than the BoXXers ( and possibly 888, Dorados ???) on that frame .Neither can you run ANYTHING else than the stock RC4...no DB, no Elka, BOS and not even the RS yet( which to me is the most laughable thing ever since the development on this thing was done on a RS shock)
    I've only heard of this issue with the 40, but in theory it could solved for good with either a headset that wasn't zero stack in the bottom cup or the Acros Blocklock mentioned on another post.

On the rear shock, the issue you mention is it a space one or do you mean the shock mount that has the bearings? On the shock mount, I was under the impression that it is compatible with other shocks, it only requires that the eyelet and rebound knob are rotated 45ļ (like the S Works Enduro Carbon), given that the eyelets are all the same width.

From the design perspective it does look like they missed some important stuff, but it does look like it's fixable (at least more fixable than say the Fox DRCV or Dyad on some bikes). On the other hand, we're moving more and more towards the "bike for 1 season" thing and the manufacturers (generally speaking) are thinking with that trend in mind too when designing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeWake
    We are aware that the first batch of bumpers did not turn out as durable as we would have liked. Sorry that you had a bad experience with them. Your shop can get better ones from customer service.

Boomslang
    So...when Specialized realized the first time they had dropped the ball and came up with this band aid solution...no one made sure they wouldn't drop it a second time ?

The shock mount thingy I was mentioning, by the way:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hafnz
    It's a matter of the headtube not being long enough for the Fox 40 lower crowns
    So, the issue is Spesh have put out an inferior product and not told anybody. If they're going to do that they should have put it in writing that you can't run 40s, or need to use a taller headset or... something. Not saying anything then looking surprised when damaged frames come back isn't a great advert.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would be pissed man. If thats what happened after 15 min imagine what the bike would look like after a whole season! Those things dont even look like real bumpers! So due to the stupidity of specialized, you are forced to live with a dented up frame (that is if they dont warranty it) and even if they do you will have to buy a different headset or fork. What kind of company makes a product that requires a consumer to have to shell out more money (as if $6200 wasnt enough) just so they don't damage it while using it for its intended purpose while staying withing the limits of reasonable use? If I were you I would call and give them crap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    I would be pissed man. If thats what happened after 15 min imagine what the bike would look like after a whole season! Those things dont even look like real bumpers! So due to the stupidity of specialized, you are forced to live with a dented up frame (that is if they dont warranty it) and even if they do you will have to buy a different headset or fork. What kind of company makes a product that requires a consumer to have to shell out more money (as if $6200 wasnt enough) just so they don't damage it while using it for its intended purpose while staying withing the limits of reasonable use? If I were you I would call and give them crap.
    I completely agree with you on this, but what can they do to make it right if i do complain??? Its gonna happen again even with a new frame. Plus the clear bra issue. It just sucks.
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I donít know that I am ready to accept that this happened because of whips. I've never seen a whip violent enough to dent/crack a frame, let alone in 15 minutes of casual riding. If it did, you ought to check your stanchions too.

Seriously though, it sucks that you now have that to deal with that. My experience with S warranty has been positive the few times that I have dealt with them. I am sure they will take care of you.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mauricus
    I donít know that I am ready to accept that this happened because of whips. I've never seen a whip violent enough to dent/crack a frame, let alone in 15 minutes of casual riding. If it did, you ought to check your stanchions too.
    The stanchions didn't hit the frame, the edges of the lower crown did.

mtbr member
    Yeah its the lower crown that hits the frame. Im not saying my puny whips caused the damage thats just the only time i can think of that the lower crown hit the frame??? Unless it was when i was pedaling around my living room lol. im am discussing this with spesh right now it sounds like they want to do something to make up for their mistake. i have had no experience with their warrenty but ive heard a ton of good stories. dont take this as a negative post ab specialized, i just dont want a bunch of people to have the same damage as i did.
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    those bumpers look retardialized

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast