Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Deer Valley Sundays the 9th, 16th, and 23rd or some shuttle trails around SLC......

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  SHIVER ME TIMBERS 
#1 · (Edited)
THE CANYONS.. Sundays the 9th, 16th, and 23rd or some shuttle trails around SLC......

bringing big bike.....anybody up riding THE CANYONS or could show me around some other shuttle trails around the area or North of SLC (don't want to mention names but I know a few trails between SLC and Ogden)...PM ME

man I messed up....the Canyons looks way better then DV

#2 ·
I hate you... Per the online trail map, Thieves Forest and Fire Swamp are fun! steep technical stuff. When I was there the other side of the lift wasn't up and running from what i can remember. from the mid mountain lift both black diamonds are fun too... One of Will Smith's condo's is by Carpenter express lift. if you didn't already know, if you buy beer, you have to buy a food item too

#3 ·
yeah I know I have rode there about 6 times...Thieves Forest and Fire Swamp are fun and not steep at all....I hate pushing to the race dh trail...but that trail is really steep and challenging...I rode it with no front brake and it was wet and really really really slippery...couldn't stay on bike without front brake....I am just looking for someone else to ride while I am away on business

#4 ·
would if i could! only thing i really remember about one of the upper trails is a fun what felt like a 100yrd. rock garden. ride safe! it's not time for " It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" !! edit, and another beer! It's NOW time for...! lol

#7 ·
Yeah, Canyons is modern and better. But don't go on the weekends. They have 300 feet of vertical (ok maybe 4). Both lifts are on fixed lines. It is not unusual to be able to push a bike up to the top faster than the lift on the weekends. You also are likely to get stuck behind people who don't ride as fast and that blows the whole ride. Canyons has some modern trails and fun design, but is the worst possible implementation. If you get free tickets, it could be worth it on the weekend.
Unfortunately, DV with it's years behind the times trails, is way better on a weekend.
Come to Canyons on a weekday and it's reasonable. But there are only 3.5 trails with no vertical and when the crowd shows, it over.

#8 ·
I dont know exactly what you are talking about having issues with the lift lines, Were you there last year? or the year before? Their first year, yes it was true that lines were long enough that people could push up as fast as you could get on the lift. They changed that last year and added bike trays to both lifts that serve riding trails.

I rode there over 18 days last year, ALL weekend days and cant say that I spent more than 2/3 minutes ever waiting to get on the lift, which is less than I have seen at Whistler or Northstar (comparing lift lines only here... Yes they have a much larger area and tons more riders on the mountain)

Canyons runs are short but fun, much more modern resort style runs, it seems as though the majority of the new locals are convinced that this is what DH is, IMO there are no DH runs and canyons currently. To me DH is Thieves and Fire Swamp.

Definitely hit both resorts if you can swing it

#9 ·
I dont know exactly what you are talking about having issues with the lift lines, Were you there last year? or the year before? Their first year, yes it was true that lines were long enough that people could push up as fast as you could get on the lift. They changed that last year and added bike trays to both lifts that serve riding trails.

I rode there over 18 days last year, ALL weekend days and cant say that I spent more than 2/3 minutes ever waiting to get on the lift, which is less than I have seen at Whistler or Northstar (comparing lift lines only here... Yes they have a much larger area and tons more riders on the mountain)

Canyons runs are short but fun, much more modern resort style runs, it seems as though the majority of the new locals are convinced that this is what DH is, IMO there are no DH runs and canyons currently. To me DH is Thieves and Fire Swamp.

Definitely hit both resorts if you can swing it
Well, glad you enjoyed it. Also glad to hear the weekends are better. I find it more unfortunate than enjoyable, but I still went a bunch last year cause it was free. I hope the new management will make it a proper bike park. I agree that the runs are fun, but I would call them 1/4 runs since if you stacked them all on top of each other, you would almost have 1 run. Still it is progress in the right direction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.