Thread: deemax UST?

mtbr member

deemax UST?

I can get a GREAT deal on a set of new DeeMax UST's and wanted to see if you guys think I should do it? I just got into this DH/FR stuff so I know nothing about it but it seems like they are a good combo for my stinky deelux. I don't need the rims now but for the deal I wanted to know if I should pass them up?

banned
    Nice, light, strong. Lightest wheel for the strength.

mtbr member
    I am very disappointed in my 2005 Deemax. As soon as i get them back out of the LBS and run one more race coming up soon, im selling them ASAP. The spokes pop out of the rear hub all the time. Done it ever since they are new. Even sent them back to Mavic to make sure they were not defects. Came back with a clean bill of health. Same crap is still happening.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Have 2 pairs

and never had a problem with them. I really only use them for trail riding.

I might get a cheapo pair of wheels for urban riding. I just don't like the idea of hitting $600 wheels on square ledges when I F*** up a bunnyhop or something.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    Nice, light, strong. Lightest wheel for the strength.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M1_joel
    I am very disappointed in my 2005 Deemax. As soon as i get them back out of the LBS and run one more race coming up soon, im selling them ASAP. The spokes pop out of the rear hub all the time. Done it ever since they are new. Even sent them back to Mavic to make sure they were not defects. Came back with a clean bill of health. Same crap is still happening.
    My buddy also has the 05 deemax and had the same problem with the spokes poping out of the rear hub. He also had the rear hub lock up, where it would not allow it to freewheel.

If your getting a great deal, just have your LBS retension the wheels before you ever ride them. You may want to go the route I did and get some 823's on Hadley's, but it cost $$$.

mtbr member
    Well It's a great price but I may just pass on it. I did see some other posts about the spokes. Not something I want to mess with every time I go out and ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I like mine so far

I have a new set on my Bullit and they have been no problem what so ever! Still perfectly true. The 2006's have an improved rim that is plenty strong. Basically it is an 823 rim painted yellow with Deemax stickers on it. As for the freehub, they require a little periodic maintenance. Very easy to do but they will fail if you do not take care of them. All you need is a little mineral oil to lubricate the inside of the freehub and you're good to go.

I am curious about what the wheels look like you are being offered such a good deal on. Are the rims silver or yellow? Are the hubs black or yellow? If the wheels have silver rims I would pass on them. Those rims did not hold up well at all. The metal is too soft just like the first 823 rims were too soft.

"Its All Good"
    If the 06's are just 823's painted yellow, they will last and last. I have had no problems with 823's on Hadley hubs. Have not thrashed the Uzzi with them on, but when the 823's & Hadleys were on the Dare, they rocked. They cost some bucks, but they last the distance.......................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    They are Yellow rims and hubs. about 1/2 the price in the shops is what I found them for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hadley's and 823's

I think that 823's on Hadley's would be the ultimate wheelset but also pretty expensive. I have Hadley's and EX721's on my Heckler and that is a bombproof wheelset. I think Hadley makes the best hubs out there. I run Stans in my Heckler wheelset and it has worked out very well but I would still prefer true Mavic UST rims over any Stans converted wheel setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yep, those are the new wheels!

Yep, those are the new wheels Mavic has out. What is the shop charging for these? Like $700-800?

I picked mine up brand new off Ebay for about $400 including shipping.

mtbr member
    yes about 700-800 the guy I found needs to dump them quick and said he would take like 300.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MBX5
    yes about 700-800 the guy I found needs to dump them quick and said he would take like 300.

thats a pretty good deal if they are new and never used.
    they call you a gansta if you spend big bucks on a pair of 20" chromes. well shlt.... i got a pair of 26's!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'd wouldn't hesitate

Dude, that is the deal of the century if those wheels are new. That is $75 less than the Deetraks with a much better rim.

They should retail for $650 a set but a lot of shops sell way above suggested retail on a lot of products. Makes you wonder why people buy so much online doesn't it? I think you should jump on that deal!

There is one shop here that I went into and they guy had a very slightly used Thompson stem that did have a scratch on the inside but no biggy. Anyhow, he said he would give me the killer bro deal on it for $80. I can get them new for $60-65. Some bro deal!

Bad@ss NYC Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by M1_joel
    yep...im had the same problems. rear hub aint the best either. im gonna let them go at the end of the season, or at least the hubs. i dont know if ill have many hub choises anyway since they are 28 spoke rims. best way to keep em in check is to tension the spokes every 3-5 rides. that deal is killer tho...u can tgo wrong...i bought azonic outlaws new and been killing em riding street and they are still true...those will run you $250.