No Fear

Deemax 2007/08 Pawl sys.

Actually i was looking at Dee Max ITS4 system pictures on the net....

I remembered mine had a major difference with them...
    In the newer models the pawl & spring system in which each pawl has an individual spring a tiny coil spring underneath it. like these in sun Ringle

But in my Deemaxes that are a 2007/08 model there is a single circular spring with sloted pawls like this

Should it be like that or the previous owner has changed the whole freehub body ?

And some other questions ?

1 - in the second system with a circular spring should the two ends of the spring overlap like the one shown in the pic when installed on the hub ? Or no thats only the neutral position and on the hub the diameter extends round its slot to male the spring more tense therefore the two ends wont overlap ?

2 - In the Deemax ITS4 what would exactly happen if i take out a pair of the pawls ? would it cause any damage to the hub ? or no simply the engagement pitch would be twice ?
    By the engagement pitch i mean the angle that the cassette would revolve free before a pawl or a set would engage. What do you call that in English ?

TNX.

No Fear
    Nah.....over 70 views and nobody got an answer ?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Have set of 2012 Dee max, but haven't taken apart the freehub yet.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Its got what plants crave
    If you remove pawls you will be putting more pressure on the remaining pawls, probably causing premature failure. I am not sure if it would have any effect on the engagement, though. Typically, more pawls = better engagement, so I'm assuming your engagement would suck, and those Deemax's aren't known for great engagement to begin with.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org