Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

darren berrecloth is overrated and annoying

I haven't been following darren for very long. My exposure to him is all the Rampage events. Can't that guy land ANYTHING? I am sure he is great at DJ but he has no business at Rampage.

Also got a chance to see him interviewed at the "Where the trail ends" RedBull premiere. He came across as a ******bag.

Can anyone tell me why he is famous?

mtbr member
    did you watch Where the Trail Ends?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Im not really trying to defend him but lets see you go that big and land it every time...

Also he has had some of the most unique lines at Rampage the last few events, much more creative and thinking outside the box, some of which didnt have the biggest/ best outcome but he is riding his vision not necessarily what is going to get the best score. SOME fans, sponsors and other riders like and respect that as much if not more than "cookie cutter" lines, and no Rampage isnt cookie cutter but hopefully you understand where I am going.

If you dont like him you dont like him its all good. I really didnt care for watching Andre Lacondeguy* from the footage I had seen but really liked watching him ride at Rampage. Not that he isnt good or wasnt doing massive sh*t it just didnt make me too excited, til I saw real life.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

Delay
    He's a dope rider. Watch the older Collective videos and other NWD videos he was featured in to give him a fair chance.

I totally understand if he's not your style but you should really watch Where Trail Ends as well. He is an animal in that film.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on.

Pivotal figure
    One of the biggest things I respect about "The Claw" is the fact that although he comes from a dirt jump background, he always manages to pick out the gnarliest un-sculpted lines at Rampage. Nothing wrong with the crazy big ramps and other features but for me the essence of that event has always been natural terrain and he knows how to read that stuff better than anybody. Never met the guy personally so I can't comment on that but one interview isn't really much to base an opinion off of....
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    I'll check out Where the Trail Ends. If I remember correctly, he ran the same line several years in a row at Rampage because he could never clear it.

mtbr member
    Let me preface this with I AM NOT CALLING ANYONE OUT SPECIFICALLY!

In a sense, you sort of have to have a little bit of an "I'm the man," overconfident, hyped up attitude when you're a top level athlete. Now please don't confuse this with outright unsportsmanlike conduct, that's not what I'm referring to here. Sure sometimes I think the higher self confidence can come off as being an @hole. But if you don't have that kind of mindset and drive, you'll never throw yourself off a 40' cliff or jump a 60' canyon gap!

Darren Berrecloth is a great rider because he consistently pushes the limits of what is perceived to be possible on a mountain bike, and does it with style.

Delay
    He did run the same line a few times. As much as I like to see the different lines people attempt I appreciate that he didn't give up on his initial line. It shows to me that he's not just in it for the check but also for the love and to have fun. He's a talented enough rider to have picked out a line that incorporated the pre-made obstacles and a quick podium but chose to finish what he started.

Not my favorite rider but he's a savage. I like his eye for lines and really admire how much work he puts into building what he rides. You don't get guns like that from riding a chairlift at a bike park!

Also, the 3's he throws in his big mountain segments will never get old to me.

mtbr member
    I think getting old is overrated and annoying...

Glad to Be Alive
    nitecrwlr you are a kook

Prove you are not some barney with pics of you doing JUST LEGIT 20 footers.
    If not NEXT !!!!

I have been in this downhill mountain biking sport for 14 years...I have seen where drops of 6 feet got you on the cover of a magazine to people doing helicopters off a 50 foot oakley Sender.

Let me just say this one time. Guys that go big are a certain breed. They are very good riders with big balls. Look at the style they are throwing off those jumps. On smaller stuff they have a lot of style. The Claw may not be your favorite but I love the lines he takes. Even if he makes it or not. Videos do the riding at RBR no justice. You can't see the knifes edge they are running at top and how steep it really is. It sickens me when they say bad stuff about Bender. Fvck Bender is the father of the Red Bull Rampage. He was the one riding all those lines up in Virgin. And yes on a bike that boy can ride.

nitecrwlr if you have talent and are not overrated then ride KING KONG...a trail Bender made. You clean that, then my hats off to you. If not then you are just another wannabe putting others down...and my term for you kook and barney will follow you on all your post.

P.S. Do you have any other bikes then a stumpjumpers and enduros ?? Could it just be Downhill envy??
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think the kid just never saw claw in his prime...heis getting older. I don't feel like the industry looks at him as the greatest rider right now. I don't think anyone would say he is the best anymore...but he is just incredible. Bc of him, the freeride scene is whereit is. Everyone gets older and can't keep progressing. You can't recover as quickly and slow down.

As far as how he acts, you have to understand he gets surrounded everytime he's out. I wouldn't want to be talked to by everyone. Both berrecloth brothers are amazingly nice but are quiet dudes. They just love the outdoors and are there for you. I've seen both of them spend tons of time talking, helping out kids, and showing them how to ride. I have he upmost respect for them

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr View Post
    he has no business at Rampage.
    You're new to this, aren't you?

He may have not come from a big mountain background, but he's been doing this stuff for a lot longer than most of those kids out there. His 360 drop of the roadgap at Crankworx was groundbreaking and really raised the bar for these competitions. He's had a huge influence on freeride. I don't know if you'd appreciate it, but his segment in The Collective is a classic.
    22 Pride

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack On Wheels View Post
    His 360 drop of the roadgap at Crankworx was groundbreaking and really raised the bar for these competitions.
    That was insane and still to this day stands out in my mind when I think of the Claw.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

backwoods and backwards
    Didn't Claw just come off a huge back injury right before Rampage this year?
    Live the life you love!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Didn't Claw just come off a huge back injury right before Rampage this year?
    Yup broke his back last year.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Respect the elders man. Funny I'm referring to the Claw as an elder but in this sport, it is constantly being progressed by new talent, younger talent, aggressive talent (possibly dumber talent) and the sport gets crazier and crazier with each generation. Hell each year, even. Remember Tippie? Simmons? Dangerous Dan? Old school dudes that in their time were groundbreaking and can still ride the balls off most of us here likely. Funny we are starting to think of the Claw and his brethren in that category but time moves on. But respect should not. They (he) are more than due.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Check out his segment in NWD 10.. its one of the best..

its like saying Semenuk sucks because he didn't have a great Rampage this year.. Claw did finish 3rd in 2010.. man that sucks huh?

Delay
    Watching him in Rampage and all the other videos gives me hope. I love Freeride and I'm right behind him in age so it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside watching him ride like an animal. Same goes for Peaty and all the other guys in their mid to late thirties riding their bikes like they're still 20. It makes me feel like I'll still have it in me for a while.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The age thing is silly mostly I think. If you take take of yourself you can be a strong athlete for a long time. I am now 43 and ride better every year and go bigger every year. Do you know who Randy Couture is, he fought as heavyweight champ in the UFC until he was 47 and fought at 48, really didn't come into his prime until mid 30's..

Only difference is injuries take longer to heal..

backwoods and backwards
    Did someone mention PEATY!!!
    Live the life you love!

mtbr member
    Love the Claw.

How can anyone say, with a straight face, that this guy's not a legit rider. I don't care how he placed at the Rampage, the guy is a freaking beast.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    For someone who couldn't make it in BMX, he transitioned over to MTB and changed the face of the sport. I think everyone can agree on that.

I think it's funny because at the time he moved into MTB - it could have been any number of BMX riders who had the skills to throw around a 26" bicycle, in his shoes. The truth is it wasn't Ryan Nyquist or Chad Kagy or the Blue Falcon who moved onto big wheels - it was Darren Berrecloth. Gotta give him props for making it happen.

Chris Duncan did the same thing around the same time.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr View Post
    I haven't been following darren for very long. My exposure to him is all the Rampage events. Can't that guy land ANYTHING? I am sure he is great at DJ but he has no business at Rampage.

Also got a chance to see him interviewed at the "Where the trail ends" RedBull premiere. He came across as a ******bag.

Can anyone tell me why he is famous?
    This post is spilling over with fail.

You may look at countless contests, videos, interviews, the impact he has had on freeride is huge.

Even if your exposure to him is only "all the Rampage events", then your memory is not serving you well.

To me, he clearly stands up there with legends like Shandro and Simmons as guys who paved the way a decade ago for us to have the bikes, contests, skills, vision that you seem to take for granted today.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Delay
    I'm not saying that once you're old you're done by any means. It's a sport that I love dearly and never plan to stop riding, but after coming out of arm surgery this last year with six months of physical therapy just so I could hold the handlebars again the age thing worries me. I still plan on progressing and getting better with age and experience but watching the "older ish" dudes kill it makes me not worry as much.

mtbr member

That's why he's famous.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast