gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Danny Macaskill Freeride Shoes vs impact lows

Anyone use both? I had the old freerides but didn't like them much due to the lack of stiffness in sole, and exposed toe box and flimsy construction. Apparently these were addressed in the macaskills?? I have the impact highs but would like to try something a little less burly without giving up too much.

Pivotal figure
    I have both models and both have their strong points. The Impacts are more grippy and just more burly overall so I like those for full on DH stuff, esp if it's rocky with a lot of toe grabbers. The DM's don't grip quite as tenaciously but I find that I prefer that in almost every situation, it makes it much easier to readjust my foot position. The soles are noticeably stiffer than the Freeriders (I only use those for pumptrack/dirtjump stuff anymore) and the uppers offer a lot more protection as well. Those features combined with a bit less weight are the main reason my Impacts are still in decent condition while my DM's are almost completely worn out from all the riding time they see.
    Last edited by kenbentit; 07-09-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have the Impacts and the freeriders. I much prefer the freeriders because they aren't as bulky, and I don"t feel like my feet are hanging off the ends of my pedals. Haven't tried the Danny M. (don't even know who he is?) but if they have the stiff soles and armored toe box, I'll be getting a pair soon!
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    I have the Impacts and the freeriders. I much prefer the freeriders because they aren't as bulky, and I don"t feel like my feet are hanging off the ends of my pedals. Haven't tried the Danny M. (don't even know who he is?) but if they have the stiff soles and armored toe box, I'll be getting a pair soon!
    Danny Macaskill is a trial rider, he has some amazing video's. His latest is called "Imaginate", Google it, they are awesome vids!

squish, squish in da fish
    I've been using DM's and as said before they're a lil less tacky but that has its advantages. Toe box has saved me a few times but the heel cup or lack of could use some attention for the next model. I'll buy em again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    I've been using DM's and as said before they're a lil less tacky but that has its advantages. Toe box has saved me a few times but the heel cup or lack of could use some attention for the next model. I'll buy em again
    This was much improved on with the XVi model. Checkem out, they're pretty killer!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The newer models use them same tacky compound, and stiff soles as the Impacts, and is slick were the pedals contact for easier foot placement. check out their website. Five Ten | Freerider VXi - Charcoal / Grey
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    One thing to look out for is the type of rubber in the sole. 5-10 have a few different compounds. S1 is super soft and sticky and used on the impacts, the freerider uses a PH sole.
    Five Ten | Freerider - Danny MacAskill.
    I havent used them, but the old freerider had different rubber than my impacts hense not as grippy.
    Just watch out for that as I now stick with their S1 sole on all my 5-10 shoes.

For dirtjumping I just wear vans, I dont want my feet sticking to the pedals, I move them around much more.

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the input! I ordered the DMs. After reading some post order reviews I saw they weren't recommended for shuttle riding (lack of stiffness) and am thinking I should have gone for the impact low. I guess only ride time will tell.