mtbr member

This is Dangerous Talk...

Today's ride saw me with more confidence then I have ever had on the trail. I have ridden it a few times now, it is an easy one, but I always feathered my brakes in fear of too much speed making for a far more epic crash than a little. The main source of concern are the patches of sand that sneak up on me. The trail is covered in loose **** and gravel to begin with, but when you add in the camouflaged sand that grabs me like tar, I was really apprehensive. After a bit of advice and riding through it a few times, I found that getting as much speed as I can was the key to tearing through the sand without it grabbing me too much.

It is scary as **** knowing how fast I need to get on the downhill to avoid the washouts. My brakes blow too, but I can't afford a full brake conversion (I have old style canti's on it) and I can't change the pads because one of the pads is fused on. There is no bailing on anything, I need to power through everything to make it out safe.

And. I. LOVE. It. Once I got the confidence, I was tearing down the hills, feathering only to avoid hikers. The biggest hill is the type that scared me shitless as a kid, and now I am like '**** it, I'm going.' My eyes got all big when I first found it, and I considered, only for a moment, walking my bike down. I said 'what the hell, why not?' and just went for it. It is like a rollercoaster! I hate the climb up to the hill, 4 miles of nothing but incline between the paved sidewalk (remember, mountain bike tires here...) leading to the trail and the sandy trail itself. I admit, I have to hoof a lot of it-- only about 10% of the paved, but pretty much all of the sand (there are some short flat sections I tear up, though).

I hate the climb. It is all about the decent. That is why I am doing the route I am doing. There is a 'WHEEEEEEEEEE!!' factor that no other part of mountain biking has come close to. It is absolutely my favorite part of the ride. The scariest, by far, but the most fun. I have one of those huge **** grins on my face the whole way down

I ride up that ****ing hill for the decent. Is this going to lead me down where I think it is going to lead me? The wheels in my head are turning as I think of an excuse to go see my family in Reno during summer next year. There are a TON of ski resorts up there, some of them HAVE to be running the chairlifts to the top off season...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    ...I have old style canti's on it... ...resorts... ...chairlifts...
    You may want to consider renting.

mtbr member
    No worries, a rental is part of the plan :P I am working on an all mountain build, but it is a hardtail. I wouldn't take it bombing down those hills, it's my baby!

I am crazy enough to leave skin, but not crazy enough to trash my own bike!

Downhill fan
    I know that feeling you describe all too well and great job to you for achieving it. I did my first DH park years ago on my full suspension XC bike w/ canti's and 5" of travel. Scary but the bike did fine. Used it on a few different days there. Then I rented the bike parks Trek Session 8 long travel 8" DH bike. By the end of the day I realized how much faster and better I was able to ride on a good DH/FR bike w/ 8" of travel and the world of difference it made. Rented it a hand full more times that season and was blown away @ how I was able to ride. I knew I had to have a long travel bike! That winter I saved up and in the early spring bought a used Giant Glory. Now that I have my own bike, set up exactly the way I want it, i'm very used to the consistency and performance of it making every DH/FR day a better ride than the last. Might I suggest you do the same and get the most out of your riding and maybe save a little and buy a used DH/FR bike? If you have never been on a long travel DH/FR bike your in for a huge treat. It maybe @ that point you"ll know exactly what I'm saying Just a thought bro and keep up the grinning during the rides!
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

mtbr member
    I just checked the prices for rentals and... OMFG is is expensive! I really should just save up and buy something off the rental fleet at the end of the year >.< Hmmm... maybe I can make my mom happy by offering to go visit for thanksgiving, and also check out the clearance bikes on sale from the rental fleet while I am there!

I have never ridden a FS bike, I am still a beginner. I have ridden a couple hard tails, but both had cheap shocks on them that bucked me, so I wasn't impressed. I am learning on an old full rigid. And, despite the rocks and bumps on the downhill, I am still LOVING it! I haven't totally busted this bike yet, (knock on wood) but I know I am riding it harder than it was meant to be ridden. It is a ticking time bomb Dropped and pinched a few chains, caught it before anything bad happened. Bash guard fell off and got caught between the crank arm and gears, caught that a moment before bombing down a hill (and it is a hill I have to take really fast and aggressive, because it dumps into a sand pit I will wipe out in without speed). Almost broke my seatpost taking some curbs too fast. Luckily, nothing yet that stops it from riding, so I will ride it into the ground

Downhill fan
    Rentals here are @ the 100-110.00 price range and that's if you have your own gear. Another reason I had to have my own bike LOL. Keep an eye on your local Craig's List ads. Thats where I found my Glory and I got a great deal on it....paid 1100.00 for mine and had never been used for DH/FR and was close to new. Good luck I'm sure you will find the right deal eventually.
    Last edited by #Cyclelife; 10-08-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Type -O
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

pin it
    DH isn't cheap and it is addictive

If you are really stoked you could learn on a am bike.
    Practice on the beginner trails
    Attend a dh clinic and learn the basics
    As you get more proficient (getting faster, progressing on the drops and steep technical) you could start investing in some good gear, upgrade your bike etc.

I think you have a good start
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies