No Fear!

Da Bomb HeadSpin,Funn Bullet?

Anyone have any experience or info for the Da Bomb HeadSpin and Funn Bullet Rear Hubs Rear,want to know how strong,reliable and noisey they are,im intrested in a new hub as i dont like noisey hubs and have just got a Hope Pro 2 which is very noisey and im going to be sending it back.

Im also wondering how a XTR rear hub handles FR/DH,

Thanks

Glad to Be Alive
    If it is the same Da Bomb that makes bikes then I would stay away from those....poor customer service
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I picked up one of those da-bombs this year for dirt cheep and it has performed, well better than i expected but I have been trying to reach the company and have written them emails and they do have a really bad customer service program. It is also very quiet.

mtbr remember
    Your sending the Pro 2 back just because of the deathratchet??? c'mon! I'd take that hub over those two you are considering now... and you yourself stated you were worried more about performance of a product over anything else...

The funn should be decent, not sure how many engagement points, but they make solid products, as for DaBomb, I'd agree with the above two... they really don't do much in North America anyway, so I think you will find a lack of responses on their products...

ixnay on the xtr for abusive riding.
    Schralp it Heavy.

jtd
    mtbr member
    I have 3 Headspin hubs that I have been running for the last 2.5 years with no problems at all. I live in the PNW, so they see a lot of mud and rain and I have never had a problem with the seals. The bearings in all of mine are still smooth after a lot of miles.They aren't perfect, but for me and a few other people I ride with (who have also had them for over 2 years) they do there job as a rear hub.

All that being said here are some of the issues they may have. They have the same number of engagement points as Shimano hubs, which is fairly standard, but a lot of other hubs have considerably more. The freewheels are sketchy part. I have never, nor anyone I ride with ever, had one of these fail on the hub. Although from the beginning as they freewheel they tend to rock a little back and forth. The hub on my dj bike doesn't click anymore, and hasn't for over a year, but still works.

Would I recommend them? Depends on how much you have to pay for them. I paid 20 bucks a hub, so for over 2 years of use that was a good deal. I have recently replaced them with the Transition Revolution (SS and cassette) and they are way nicer and competitively priced. http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/...olutionHub.cfm

I haven't tried the Funn's... Not a big fan of them after I bought their spline seatpost that not only snapped, but was by far the worst designed product I have ever seen. I can only imagine how bad they can mangle something like a hub.

Jake

No Fear!
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    Your sending the Pro 2 back just because of the deathratchet??? c'mon! I'd take that hub over those two you are considering now... and you yourself stated you were worried more about performance of a product over anything else...
    as for DaBomb, I'd agree with the above two... they really don't do much in North America anyway, so I think you will find a lack of responses on their products...

ixnay on the xtr for abusive riding.
    The thing is,the Da Bomb is like nearly half the price,and because im sending it back to my dealer(CRC)i would have money left over to get a couple of things i really need,and im in England and i dont have to worry about customer service as CRC will deal with that for me if i have any problems or questions.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jtd
    I have 3 Headspin hubs that I have been running for the last 2.5 years with no problems at all. I live in the PNW, so they see a lot of mud and rain and I have never had a problem with the seals. The bearings in all of mine are still smooth after a lot of miles.They aren't perfect, but for me and a few other people I ride with (who have also had them for over 2 years) they do there job as a rear hub.

All that being said here are some of the issues they may have. They have the same number of engagement points as Shimano hubs, which is fairly standard, but a lot of other hubs have considerably more. The freewheels are sketchy part. I have never, nor anyone I ride with ever, had one of these fail on the hub. Although from the beginning as they freewheel they tend to rock a little back and forth. The hub on my dj bike doesn't click anymore, and hasn't for over a year, but still works.

Would I recommend them? Depends on how much you have to pay for them. I paid 20 bucks a hub, so for over 2 years of use that was a good deal. I have recently replaced them with the Transition Revolution (SS and cassette) and they are way nicer and competitively priced. http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/...olutionHub.cfm

Jake
    Thanks for this info,so there reliable,but the freewheel is just like shimano,are they noisey?do you run the 10mm axle version or the QR version?i want 10mm for more stiffness as ive bent many QR skewers,i can only get a hub from CRC,so if you see one there in that price range,tell me.and im not paying 20 bucks,its part of the refund from the Hope.

Does any one have any info about Fire Eye?

Thanks

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...CategoryID=764

jtd
    mtbr member
    I run both the 10mm axle and the QR. The one pictured in this thread looks like it is a thru axle, where mine was a threaded axle (just like a Shimano). I would rather have a thru axle if given a choice. Both types have basically performed the same. One interesting thing is that the QR version of the hub is not only louder, but also has more engagement points than the 10mm version. Not sure why they did it this way....

If I were in your situation I would pack the Hope's freehub with grease so it is quieter and call it good... Noise has never bothered me though...

Jake

No Fear!
    Thanks for the reply,

Im ganna go with the Da Bomb,mainly because its half the price and i could do with getting a chainguide with the cash thats left over,but also i would be using the hub for some heavy stuff,trials sort of stuff(jumping off walls to flat etc)but ive seen a few Pro 2's brake pretty badly,i think the Bulb is stronger,which i have on the front,take a look,

Ive seen a few more like this too,i will try and find some more pics,

And ya dident tell me how noisey the headspin is hehe.

jtd
    mtbr member
    As for sound... the 10mm's click is barely audible. The QR is a little bit louder than a Shimano XT. Neither one is really that loud compared to a King, Hugi or Hadley.

I hope you have good luck with them. For me they have done what a hub is suppose to do... be cheap, spin and hold spokes... I like a little clicking.. keeps the bears away

Jake