mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Smile Custom Building A Bike

Hey everyone

Im thinking about custom building a bike just for challenge and because I want specific things on it. I want to maybe build up like a commencal DH/ Freeride frame. SO yea have you guys got an suggestions seeing as this would be a massive challenge and its my first time also would it be cheaper?.

Thanks heaps

mtbr member
    The main reason why people in general (me included) build bikes rather than buy off of a shelf is so that it has specific parts on it. There are other reasons depending on the person but the reason I built my M9 rather than going with a kit is it has everything that I want and nothing that I don't.

Be aware that it may be cheaper depending on what you are trying to go for; however, it may be more expensive. It all depends on what echelon of components you are going for as well as whether you are buying new, used, 2012 stuff, 2013 stuff, and so on.

Building a bike can definitely be a challenge: especially if it is your first time. It is rewarding to finish it and be able to go out and ride something you put together from scratch. I enjoy it very much and have been doing it for years.

My advise is for you to do your research as to what you want. Sounds like you may have a frame chosen, but read reviews, ask people, talk to bike shops, and if at all possible demo the equipment before buying. The same goes for your components. I have no clue what your background is, how old you are, or what your abilities are. Make sure that it is something you really want to go for because it will be quite challenging and has the potential to become quite expensive depending on the route you choose.

Also just out of curiosity, did you intend on posting two threads about this an hour or so apart from each other?
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    The main reason why people in general (me included) build bikes rather than buy off of a shelf is so that it has specific parts on it. There are other reasons depending on the person but the reason I built my M9 rather than going with a kit is it has everything that I want and nothing that I don't.

Be aware that it may be cheaper depending on what you are trying to go for; however, it may be more expensive. It all depends on what echelon of components you are going for as well as whether you are buying new, used, 2012 stuff, 2013 stuff, and so on.

Building a bike can definitely be a challenge: especially if it is your first time. It is rewarding to finish it and be able to go out and ride something you put together from scratch. I enjoy it very much and have been doing it for years.

My advise is for you to do your research as to what you want. Sounds like you may have a frame chosen, but read reviews, ask people, talk to bike shops, and if at all possible demo the equipment before buying. The same goes for your components. I have no clue what your background is, how old you are, or what your abilities are. Make sure that it is something you really want to go for because it will be quite challenging and has the potential to become quite expensive depending on the route you choose.

Also just out of curiosity, did you intend on posting two threads about this an hour or so apart from each other?
    agree....

If you don't know what you really want buy used...I just bought a 4600 dollar stumpjumper evo and 5500 dollar Nomad used for 1800 and 2800...both look bran new....buying used saves you money and gives you time to find what you really like...problem with a lot of people is they dump insane amounts of cash on stuff they didn't research or try out first
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post

No i didnt sorry and thanks for the advice i will take it into consideration

bike rider
    Building from scratch is best left for very experienced riders and mechanics who know exactly what they want and are either willing to pay the extra to buy all the parts at retail or search out used or year old deals on parts. Asking someone else to do all the picking and finding is a big favor. Not to sound condescending but if you can't do all that yourself you probably also don't really need to as you won't appreciate the different parts enough to be worth it. A new complete or lightly used bike will be cheaper and get you riding with less time and hassles. Then you can gradually decide what you like and don't and start swapping parts if you want it more customized, or you might find you're one of the people who isn't real techy and nit-picky and is perfectly happy with what you've got. If so be thankful for all the time and money you'll save compared to obsessive techies like us.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Building from scratch isn't hard as people make it out to be. With little experience I built my first bike from scratch and many more afterwards. It will let you go cheaper on parts you don't need to spend a bunch of money on. Don't need to spend over hundred dollars on seats, seat post, pedals, bars and stems. Also you don't need to spend a thousand on a wheelset either. Look for deals on your front suspension. Also there is deals on your front suspension, don't need the current year, get the last years. Jensons has a sale on saint shifter and rear derailuier right now, 9spd. Just look for sales. Spend money where you will notice and go cheap where you won't notice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I would have to agree with Scythe on this one. Its really not that difficult to do your own custom build. Especially with all the youtube videos and tutorials people have out there now on putting bike together. Looking for good deals on lightly used parts is always a good first build choice to save money. Doing it this way will get you parts that are still practically new for a fraction of msrp cost. I am actually selling my custom DH rig right now. I have an old school Yakuza frame (which I loved to ride btw), but all the parts on it are practically brand spankn' new ( literally 2 rides on them) with the exception of my front fork which I recently rebuilt so it rides like brand new. My wheelset (sunringle a.d.d. Pro), rear shock (cane creek DB), and tires (Spec. Butchers set up tubeless) are all truly brand new with zero rides on them. If you added up all the parts I have on my bike that I am selling, msrp would take you out past the 4K mark. Im selling my whole bike for 3K or best offer. This saves you a ton of money. Just be sure that if you do it this way that the lightly used parts are just that. You dont want parts that are all banged to hell. I also have just recently purchased a new SJ evo carbon frame so I am looking to do more AM riding instead of DH now which is why I am selling it. Looking for deals like this will really help you keep costs down for great parts. Not saying this so you buy mine, just thot it could be a useful example tho. But if you do want to take a look at it, here is the link: Downhill/Freeride Mountain Bike $3000 o.b.o. ,or you can look at my thread I have on here. Badda$$ Yakuza.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    have to agree with the other guys, if your new and not really sure then second hand could be the way to go, you can always swap out a few parts on the second hand bike, and then as your experiance and confidance grow and you find out exactly what you want you have all new part to build up your new frame with.
    thats how i did it, both my first 2 bikes were second hand, rocky mountain slayer 70 (2006 model) and 07 santa cruz chameleon. had the slayer for about 12 months then sold it on and custom built up a knolly dt (09)
    with the chameleon that was an off the peg one that i got second hand from local bike shop (leisure lakes) the guy who got it new had it 2 months then part exchanged it as he didnt like it,
    i got it for a reasonable price (800 quid) then after about 12 months started to swap out the parts, wheels brakes forks bars stem drive train before i knew it it was custom build, then last year i got a chromag stylus frame to replace the chameleon took most of the parts off the chameleon and put them on the chromag, and put the old parts back on the santacruz to sell it as a part built bike.
    my brother has custom built all his bikes, we do it between us, sharing the cost, im kind like that ha ha ha

as for whats cheaper, depends who you know in the trade, we are lucky enough to have a great friend who gets us parts at trade price, ( and that makes a huuuuuuge differance) some times buying a prebuilt or off the peg bike is cheaper, specially with the direct sales companies over here in europe at the mo, ghost.rose. yt industries, ect ect. these guys are offering amazing specced bikes for very little money.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I built custom bikes for Competitive Cyclist for three + years. As long as you take the time to learn about the products your working with and have an understanding of how to install and adjust your components, you should be fine. However, you'll usually spend more on your bike piecing it together rather than buying a complete bike. Good luck on your new bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    I agree with everyone so far....

However if you're serious about building up, do the math. From a price point, you'll be shocked at how fast and expensive all those parts add up to be. Even if you buy used or discount it'll easily nickel and dime you to death.

Pro Crastinator
    triple check the sizes/style you will need for all of your parts. i can't tell you how much money ive seen people waste building up a bike because they bought stuff in the wrong size/style. there are enough different sizes/styles to drive you insane...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've bought new complete bikes and upgraded and am currently in the process of building a frame up from parts. I would say I'd rather build a frame from parts that I want vs. buying a new complete bike and upgrading it piecemeal. The initial investment of building a bike is higher, but if you add up the cost of buying new and upgrading over the life of the bike, I bet it costs more.

RideDirt
    I have no regrets at all from recently having my Knolly Chili built up the way i wanted with the parts i wanted

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    For my last bike, I bought a frame and picked every component, and assembled everything myself. For the first time ever, I have a bike that has exactly the parts I want. All of the right compromises.

Am I glad I did it? Absolutely. It was fun!
    Would I do it again? Maybe... It was expensive!

Over the years prior, I've removed and replaced almost every part possible on one bike or another. That taught me everything I needed to know. Putting together a whole bike from a pile of parts was not hard. The headset and the bottom bracket took some extra effort (I actually went to a shop for the headset) but the rest was just a matter of lining up the parts and turning the screws. No big deal at all.

And now I know with 100% certainty that if something breaks, I can replace the broken part myself and have a fully functional bike again. I bought headset tools afterward, so now I will probably never take a bike into a shop for service again.

banned
    Nov 2012
    Building from scratch is best left for very experienced riders and mechanics who know exactly what they want and are either willing to pay the extra to buy all the parts at retail or search out used or year old deals on parts.

mtbr member
    Absolutely build your own bike, it is a great time. Have questions? post them here and watch videos on utube. Don't be scared....
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    the hardest thing that ive ran into building my my own bikes is of course spokes and seat posts. i try to order rims and hubs separate just so i can get say powder coated spokes in different colors. typically dans comp has primo xl spokes that theyll cut to length in multiple colors. seat posts are kinda self explanatory.

but ive always ran higher cost wise since im very picky on components.

mtbr member
    Other than maybe lacing up a wheelset (I've replaced countless spokes, but never did the whole thing at once so it seems difficult to me) there's really nothing very tricky about building a bike. Cars/dirtbikes have bits and pieces hidden inside other bits and pieces, lots of difficult places to reach, etc. On a bike, everything is right there in front of you. Plus, there's a thousand videos/tutorials for every question you could have... tons of support out there.

So go for it.

However, buying a used bike complete and changing out a few parts as you see fit will probably be much cheaper. Finding something close to what you want, followed by buying and selling parts off it is probably the best option.
    Gnar Cal!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I love building my bikes you choose the exact components you want, but yet you have to know a little bit about it, and it takes a long long time to research the parts...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    building your own bike can be fun but can also be costly.. ive found the best way to buy a bike is right at the end of the season when theirs a sponsored kid selling his bike cause it says he has to in his contract.. i got a top of the line intense m9 that way it was only 6 months old and i got it for half the price and its literally my dream bike ..

08 Master DH World champ'
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfox223 View Post
    Hey everyone
    Im thinking about custom building a bike just for challenge and because I want specific things on it. I want to maybe build up like a commencal DH/ Freeride frame.
    To start with, you must find a cheap frame, not abused

Commencal Supreme Racing mini DH - Pinkbike
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams ...
    05 DH French champ'
    08 DH World champ'
    10 DH Euro champ'