mtbr member
    May 2008

Crankbrothers Customer Service Experience experience

So I just sent in my 8 month old 5050X pedals for warranty service - the spindle was loose on the body.....I should have read the reviews before I bought them.

I sent them in the beginning of August, I still do not have them back yet.

I asked for an upgrade to the new 5050 3's because the 5050X's suck...they said sure and that it would be mid september. No mention of paying for them...I assumed the upgrade was only going to be $20 or $30 since I was getting them directly from the source...my bad I should have known they would try to rape me.

Flash forward to a few days ago - I emailed him twice with no response asking for an update. The third time he finally responded and said it would be at least 6 more weeks and that it was going to cost me $79! That $79 would have been nice to know before I waited for the september deadline, which they missed by months. Why would I send in my 5050x's and pay $79 to get the new 5050 3s? I would be better off buying them on my own. I told them that and they didn't get it.

So I told them to pound sand and am getting my 5050X's returned which I will sell to buy from a better company.

I talked to Rich Gannett and his life partner Tim. Both very unhelpful. I will not be buying another pair of CB's as long as I am breathing. There are enough companies out there that sell flats that don't suck.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Weird. My buddy had a pair of EggBeaters that started to go. Asked for a rebuild, and 4 weeks later he had a new, upgraded pair. All he paid was shipping.

Bummer to hear about your lousy experience.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ^that's good at least they take care of some people. I've never read any reviews of their customer service so I figured I'd post a heads up.

Too bad I have 3 sets of their pedals.

mtbr member
    I also have had my eggbeaters serviced by them and all I paid was shipping. My service was fast, complete, and they were very nice and helpful. I am also sorry to hear about your negative experience.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've owned at least 10 pairs of CB pedals over the years and every pair has had some major issue in the first year. Customer service used to be pretty good, but in the past couple of years, the customer service has become wildly inconsistent.

I had a pair of pedals that I had just sent in bust apart 2 weeks after receiving them back from the CB "spa." Then, I had a months-long experience similar to yours. Put a crappy attitude on top and it's not good news for a company that seems to shift the cost of quality to the warranty department.

Anyway, I've sworn-off CB for good and try to warn others. One guy I built a bike for learned his lesson when his $800 set of Iodines blew a free hub after 2 weeks of riding. Did they take care of it? Yea - they were great.

Funny thing is, when I hear all of the repeat stories of "great" customer service, I always wonder why so many CB customers have to contact customer service in the first place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah, Crank brothers products have a neat design aesthetic, but personally I'd never purchase one of their products due to their quality control issue's and their customer service.

mtbr member
    I got a new set of Mallets recently and they both had drive side threads. called and he sent out a new spindle that day.

That being said, I do think their quality has gone down hill. Years ago their pedals were lasting pretty long, now it seems like their pedals are getting slop in the cage and bearings very fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My buddy has a set of 50/50s and he had to replace the bearings within the first season (he did it himself instead of relying on warranty). Another buddy bought a CB headset for his Cove Shocker, which exploded on like the second day of using it when he went a bit big on a 26ft gap (which we do all the time). I've never used their products, but honestly I don't care about their customer service because clearly their quality is so bad I wouldn't buy their stuff based on that alone. Thanks for sharing though. It's pretty clear that if you plan to actually ride your bike and not just stare at it you should spend your money elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear your experience... seems too excessive. Mine was the opposite... sent back my Joplin for rebuild and got it back within a week ($30)... it's been great ever since. Perhaps they just don't get a lot of 5050x pedal warranty service... but nevertheless, they should provide quick courtesy replacement (they did have it for the Joplin post... I could have upgraded to a Joplin 4 for $130).

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimba View Post

That being said, I do think their quality has gone down hill. Years ago their pedals were lasting pretty long, now it seems like their pedals are getting slop in the cage and bearings very fast.
    I think they started low, but went downhill from there

I was working as a messenger when the first eggbeaters came out. A bunch of my colleagues bought them and they all, without exception, crapped out within months, some within weeks. Another friend bought the first 50/50s for his mountainbike, and shortly after one of them flew off the spindle on the trails. I made the mistake of buying one of their 2-stage pumps, that lasted me all of 6 months.
    CB has always made nice looking, innovative products. Problems only arise when you actually use them.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member

They put more effort .......

into their color combinations than they do their product. Just shows you who is buying their crap. I had 3 pairs of their pedals and switched to the new XTR's. Damn, what an improvement. Steel cleats so they don't wear out in one month.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    CB is infamous for crap service and attitude here in euroland..

they make some of the best looking stuff, and some of the crappiest too.

looks great but i would never buy anything from them with the experience i have with them. im just sorry i ever spendt a single dime on that crap company.

Glad to Be Alive
    Try the Canfield Crampons....thin and they have really good Customer service
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Stand back
    I've had nothing but good luck with Crank Bros products and cs. Specialized pedals, on the other hand... How do they not even sell replacement bushings?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would cut your losses and try another brand. CB would probably go broke, replacing pedals at the rate they fail. It's too bad, because they are innovative and work well when new.

74 & 29 pilot
    I've always had great customer service from CBs. I really haven't had any problems with their products either that I didn't cause myself, and even then they fixed it for me without question. I have pedals, 4 pairs, dropper post, stem, wheels, carbon handle bars and a few other accessories. Tim, the wheel guy is always really helpful.

Kind of funny how some people have really good cs experience and some have really bad cs experience.

Better luck next time or the next brand you use.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Crankbrothers is like the Apple of the electronics world.
    Aesthetics is number 1!
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

Its got what plants crave
    I've always heard CB had good customer service but crappy products.

Still, the fact that you expect a cheap or nearly free set of brand new pedals for an 8 month old set is laughable. If CB were in the business of selling their products direct for next to nothing, don't you think they'd do so to begin with an eliminate the middle man?
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org