mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Crank Brothers 5050 X and XX models...

Anyone ridden these yet? I am interested in getting a quality flat pedal, and these seem like good options. The X model has lower quality bearings (cheaper) but has less concave to the pedal (the more expensive bearings have a lower profile, thus creating more concave.) I think for money and concave reasons I will go with the 5050X

Please feel free to chime in about quality, size, flex(? they seem light for a platform), functionality, pin feel and placement, etc... I figured you DH and FR guys would know best.

100% Cheesy Goodness
    no suppliers have them yet. I have been checking regularly and have yet to see any come into stock. I am imagining that we will see them coming available after interbike. Im gonna get a set of them for my wife's new bike that will be here shortly after interbike. Then get the pink inserts for them. It will be sick.
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Cambria Bike

Quote Originally Posted by sortafast
    no suppliers have them yet. I have been checking regularly and have yet to see any come into stock. I am imagining that we will see them coming available after interbike. Im gonna get a set of them for my wife's new bike that will be here shortly after interbike. Then get the pink inserts for them. It will be sick.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=17401

and Beyond Bike has them too... performancebike.com expects shipment of the x version 9/2

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nobody has them in stock yet.
    [SIZE=2]
    www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334
    [/SIZE]

T.Dot Represent
    i dont see what the big deal is... its just a pedal!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIZE=5]fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by finchy
    i dont see what the big deal is... its just a pedal!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well, in theory these 5050's should be pretty banging. They have multiple pin placement options, the XX's have sealed needle bearings according to some sources, the lower-front edge is replaceable . . . they might be the sweetest flat out, but we'll have to wait and see.
    [SIZE=2]
    www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334
    [/SIZE]

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    been waiting for a picture of them, cheers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

Uhhhhh...
    You can bet $$$ I'll have a pair on every bike I have flats on next year.
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Just Ride
    eh the idea of a pedal being designed to come apart screams bad idea to me. i like my pedals to be as solid as possible not able to split in half.... i dunno maybe im wrong but they seem like they have great potential to a) come apart when you dont want them to or b) creak like hell

my tioga MX pro's have differnt pin placement options and some sweet ass sealed bearings and ive bashed them on tons of crap and they're still fine. havent even lost a pin yet.

oh and the tiogas grip like hell my shoes have been ripped apart, as well as my shins.
    Last edited by zerossix; 08-31-2005 at 03:37 PM.

wuss
    I have these on preorder from crc, and I'm really anxious too. Emailed crank bros and they claimed it was shipping almost a month ago. The finnish exporter said he "might" have them at the end of the week, didnt sound convincing...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    eh the idea of a pedal being designed to come apart screams bad idea to me. i like my pedals to be as solid as possible not able to split in half.... i dunno maybe im wrong but they seem like they have great potential to a) come apart when you dont want them to or b) creak like hell

ns.
    yep, I agree...one solid piece....... Kona jack shict...plus they are wider than most other pedals...great if you have big feet
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mp29k
    Anyone ridden these yet? I am interested in getting a quality flat pedal, and these seem like good options. The X model has lower quality bearings (cheaper) but has less concave to the pedal (the more expensive bearings have a lower profile, thus creating more concave.) I think for money and concave reasons I will go with the 5050X

Please feel free to chime in about quality, size, flex(? they seem light for a platform), functionality, pin feel and placement, etc... I figured you DH and FR guys would know best.
    I've had them for a couple of weeks (the XX version) - and I like them a lot - size is just right for my (9.5 D) foot - pin feel is great, firm hold - but allows a bit of adjustment - they ARE light for a platform, but both freeriding and dirt jumping they don't have any noticable flex at all

I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the 50/50's - I spend quite a bit of time riding flat pedals - tough freeriding, dirt jumping and throwing myself off of drops - and I haven't been too happy with the various pedals I've had...

the problems:

Atom Labs - expensive, a good design, thin, replaceable pins (some through the back) - fairly tough - the problem with both pairs (Trailkings and Trailpimps) was the bearings went very quickly, and (at the time) were not easy to get replacement parts for - also, some of the pins went in from the front, and if you sheared them off, good luck getting them out to replace - another complaint was the bearings spin too freely, so you can't place the pedal where you want, and expect it to remain there...not great for dirt jumping, or setting up to drop into something tough

Weyless - cheap! the bearings stay tighter - so I can place them where I want and they will stay when I go to put my foot down... - problems: most (some versions all) pins go in from the top - making replacement tough - rebuilding isn't so much of an issue because they are cheap - but I don't know how rebuildable they are anyway...

50/50's - because the pedal frames come apart - ALL pins are tightened from the back - this makes every pin replaceable - even if they shear off - also, the pins are solid where they are out of the pedal (instead of hollow) - which makes them less likely to crush I would think - the bearings are replaceable - and there is a GREASE port! - you remove a hex bolt and use your grease gun and repack with fresh grease as needed - the pedals stay put where you want them - so that's nice, they seem durable (I slammed them into all SORTS of rocks first ride) and my feet (in 5.10's) stick nicely - the second ride last weekend (first was freerideish) was dirt jumping -pedals performed very well - and allowed a bit more adjustment of foot position than my Atom Labs or Wayless....which was nice...

despite a multi-piece cage design, there was no creaking of these pedals either freeriding or dirt jumping - hard to tell what will happen down the line, but Crank Brothers make some pretty amazing products, and I trust they tested these pretty well before releasing...

time will tell on durablility, but the oversized sealed bearings in the outside and needle bearings inside, the grease port and ease of pin replacement should make these my favorite platforms for many years to come...

mtbr member
    Got the five-o's on 06 Versus Blitz rig. Removeable plates for differ pin configuration arrangments, which make them b*tchin' quality flats!

Last edited by liquidsystm; 10-05-2005 at 02:10 PM.

New project, TBA shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidsystm
    Got the five-o's on our ride. The needles don't grip as well since they're a cone like shape, but that could be made up for placement and arrangment. But they're b*tchin' quality flats!
    I'm actually looking foward to less grip, with pins and 5.10s I have almost a little *too* much grip. If I put a foot down crooked, I've got to physically pick it up off the pedal, and set it down again (hopefully) straight. if the nubs can give me the same stickiness as usual but without the "oh crap my shoe is stuck on my pedal", they'll be perfect. and if not, you can always get screws for them anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dante
    I'm actually looking foward to less grip, with pins and 5.10s I have almost a little *too* much grip. If I put a foot down crooked, I've got to physically pick it up off the pedal, and set it down again (hopefully) straight. if the nubs can give me the same stickiness as usual but without the "oh crap my shoe is stuck on my pedal", they'll be perfect. and if not, you can always get screws for them anyway.
    I feel the same - with both my Atom Labs & Weyless - with 5.10's once my foot came down, it was locked in - no adjustments possible - with the 50/50's there is a little adjustment possible, which is good

and you're right, you should be able to put in standard pins if you need more grip...

wuss
    Where did you manage to get those from? Directly from Crank Bros? I guess I can't cancel my preorder now...

mtbr member

picked up the 50/50 pedals...

... at Interbike last week for some demo bikes.

A quick review based on only a couple of days worth of riding:

The pedals have have a really nice feel to them (dished profile) and the platform size is decent - not too big and not too small. They also have a fairly thin cross section profile which is always nice! Hopefully the bearing / axle combination will sufficiently strong / durable to go for a season or two of solid use.

The only downside that I noticed is that the stock pins deliver insufficient grip for serious wet weather riding. They are too short and too tapered, meaning that the edges of the pins don't hook into the sole of the shoe well enough. Two other BC'ers noticed this pretty much immediately when they tried them as well. I know there is a longer pin option for these pedals so I'm currious to try those out and will reserve judgement until I try them with the longer pin opion.

Cheers,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

wuss
    I've ordered the xx models, I understood they come with both sets of pins?

Freeriding Feline

I got mine from BeyondBikes about a week ago. They are pretty light so I put them on my Heckler.
    I've only used them in dry weather so far. No complaints. Just the X model so no replacement pins came with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029