mtbr member

Crank bros Opium wheelset reviews? opinions?

Hi, is there anybody out there who owns them or have heard anything on this wheels who could share an opinion? I may be trading my R-9 for a brand new wheelset in a couple days and since I really couldn't find any riders input on google I just wanted to ask here. Thanks
    Last edited by lalocotequinta; 03-29-2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: error

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have both the opium and sage wheelsets.

To date no issues.

Both perform well and look sexy.

Potential issues:

[1] trailside repairs if you break a spoke

[2] have read of some warranty issues regarding the rear hub which crank bros have been hapy to treat as waranty claims - apparently some new part is now made out of steel?

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a set of Opiums and Cobalts. The Cobalts have seen far more use, a little over a 1,000 miles to date, than the Opiums, but I have had no issues with either set. I plan to order a pair of Iodines and maybe another set of Cobalts for my wife's bike as well. They are running true and straight. No issues with the hubs so far, or spokes for that matter. They hold air far better than the two different sets of Mavic UST wheels I have owned. I've been very happy with mine. Hopefully I'll get a lot more time on the Opiums this season.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I ended up getting the wheels and from the moment I opened the box was impressed at how well made, lite and stiff they are. I'm pretty happy with my acquisition. And they are SEXY!

Here's some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank bros Opium wheelset reviews? opinions?-dsc00441-medium-.jpg  

Crank bros Opium wheelset reviews? opinions?-dsc00442-medium-.jpg  

Crank bros Opium wheelset reviews? opinions?-dsc00458-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by lalocotequinta; 03-30-2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: error

usually cranky
    too rich for my blood. i'll stick with 32 spokes on the cheap.

mtbr member
    I hear you, I would never spend that kind of $$ on a wheelset but I had a frame hanging from the wall and the dude wanted it so...