mtbr member

Crank Bros Mallet C vs. Shimano PD M-647

Any one riden both? i ride the 647's on my yeti and i wanna try somthing new... opinions?
    GETOFFTHEBRAKESYAFAIRY

Cinchy is a cool word ok?
    I have ridden both. The mallets are harder to get used to, but you'll appreciate their durability and resistance in the long run. You can't pull up out like you can with the shimanos so when you're going down, your bike's coming with you, but you they keep you in much better with tension that would make accidental unclips on the shimanos commonplace. They're easy to unclip, but won't accidentally. Plus, the platform is much bigger and overbuilt wich is a good thing imo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    appreciate mallets durability? HARDLY. 2 diff pairs ive destroyed in about 2 1/2 months. ive switched to TIMES and couldnt be happier. love the mech on them to

EastBaySteez
    Mallets rock. Maybe if you dont bash them into LARGE BOULDERS ^^^^ scott. they last longer.

I have had them for 3 months, no complaints. I love them WAy BETTER THAN SHIMANO!
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

They are just ok

They are just ok in my opinion. With the large platform you would think they would be easy to use unclipped in really sketchy sections but they are exactly the opposite. I've used clipless pedals for years and then went to platforms about 5 years ago when I started downhill and freeride type riding. I built up a lighter trail bike last year and went back to clipless with the Mallets. I've also tried the Candy SL's and actually like them better even though the platform is much smaller.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    appreciate mallets durability? HARDLY. 2 diff pairs ive destroyed in about 2 1/2 months. ive switched to TIMES and couldnt be happier. love the mech on them to
    does tiem even make a pedal with a large platform?
    GETOFFTHEBRAKESYAFAIRY

TNC
    noMAD man
    Those are both good pedals. My only complaint with any Crank Bros. pedal is that you "must" move the cleat the required number of degrees to release from the pedal. This is usually not a problem, as most people become fairly intuitive about doing this. However, occasionally one of those millisecond "oh sh!t" getoffs will cause rider and bike to remain connected, which can be some exciting fun...LOL! I use 647s, and you will not remain connected to the pedal in one of those getoffs if you have anything close to proper retention adjustment.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I'd stick w/ 647s. The plastic cage is disposable, new ones retail for $10. You might go thru a couple cages a season, but the pedal itsself seems very durable and I've had no issues with them. They also slide over rocks a lot better than Mallets, don't unclip when the opposite side hits something, and the axles, bearings, and cleats seems to be a lot more durable.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    so it hink i am just gonna stay with my 647's thanks guys
    GETOFFTHEBRAKESYAFAIRY

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbnick
    does tiem even make a pedal with a large platform?
    ATAC Zs

Lord of the Chainrings
    I have Crank Bros on all my bikes. Love the simplicity!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    I have Crank Bros on all my bikes. Love the simplicity!
    QFT. I've got a set of mallets on my Reign X1 and Smartys on my Norco Charger. Couldn't be happier.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5