mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Corsair Maelstrom?

Just came across this bike and it looked impressive but cannot seem to find much feedback on them. I was all set on a '11 SX Trail 2 but with this lineup wasn't sure if it was a better route.....any ideas? New 2009 for $2900 with the specs below ......any feedback is appreciated

Marzocchi Roco Coil R piggyback shock, Large, Ghost
    Fork: RockShox Totem Coil, Black, 180mm
    Headset: Corsair Sealed Cartridge Bearing
    Stem: Truvativ Hozfeller, 60mm
    Bar: Truvativ Holzfeller World Cup Low Rise
    Shifters: SRAM X.9 Trigger, HammerSchmidt Front
    Brakes: Avid Elixir R w/ 203mm front & 185mm rear rotor
    Grips: Lizard Skin Charger, Lock-On, Black
    Chain: SRAM PC-971
    Crankset: Truvativ HammerSchmidt All Mountain, 175mm, 24T
    Bottom-bracket: Truvativ HammerSchmidt All Mountain
    Cassette: SRAM PG-970 11-34
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9
    Rear Shock: Marzocchi Roco Coil R piggyback shock
    Seatpost: Crank Brothers Joplin remote adjustable
    Saddle: WTB Rocket V Race
    Tires: Kenda Telonix, 26 X 2.4", folding
    Wheelset: Hadley Disc 20mm front & Maxle rear hubs, DT Swiss Competition spokes & Mavic EX 823 rims
    Travel: 7"

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Thumbs up! I've had mine for just under a year now, it's held up great. Only issue I've had was snapping one pivot bolt. Corsair set me a new one for fee just paid shipping.

I have mine set up a bit more with down hill in mind then free riding but it really excels for both

The suspension is very nice, take drops well and is very good on square edged hits - much better the any FSR bike I've owned in the past ( 03 Big HIt DH , 06/07 SX-Trail and 08-09 Norco Shore). nice rearward arch on the travel. you can really slam the bike into stuff and not get hung up. The high rearward pivot location also helps with the bike balance point, front end is easy to lift at any speed.

Cornering is pretty good but I'd be happy if the bb heigh was a 1/4 lower.

The chain idler can be a bit finicky - make sure the bike comes with the newer style plastic idler, they work better then the metal ones. With the idler the bike pedals AMAZING. Zero pedal bob, it's pretty wild how well they sprint. Stock bearings don't have the best sealing - make sure to clean them out and re grease once of twice a season - that or upgrade them ( enduro sells a kit for 65$ i think)

I like the angles and fit, for reference I'm about 5 10 and ride a medium. Top tube is nice and low never gets in the way. Full length seat tube is nice too.

Need any more details just let me know. I'd be glad to ramble on some more.

Cheers,
    Ryan

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Messican,
    If all the parts are new, it's definitely a lot of bike for the money. The fork, the crankset and the wheelset alone probably worth close to 1750$... Looks like a good purchase IF you can get the new pulley. There is a another thread just top of this one which has Corsair's phone number. I would give them a call to see if they can provide it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The bike is new from a LBS. I saw the parts and was pretty amazed as they are some high quality parts for that price. I have been looking a read a few owners with issues like the piviot bolts snaping and a cracked frame but that is all i really had to go off.
    PepperJester- anymore feedback you have is greatly appreciated.

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by PepperJester
    Thumbs up! I've had mine for just under a year now, it's held up great. Only issue I've had was snapping one pivot bolt. Corsair set me a new one for fee just paid shipping.

I have mine set up a bit more with down hill in mind then free riding but it really excels for both

The suspension is very nice, take drops well and is very good on square edged hits - much better the any FSR bike I've owned in the past ( 03 Big HIt DH , 06/07 SX-Trail and 08-09 Norco Shore). nice rearward arch on the travel. you can really slam the bike into stuff and not get hung up. The high rearward pivot location also helps with the bike balance point, front end is easy to lift at any speed.

Cornering is pretty good but I'd be happy if the bb heigh was a 1/4 lower.

The chain idler can be a bit finicky - make sure the bike comes with the newer style plastic idler, they work better then the metal ones. With the idler the bike pedals AMAZING. Zero pedal bob, it's pretty wild how well they sprint. Stock bearings don't have the best sealing - make sure to clean them out and re grease once of twice a season - that or upgrade them ( enduro sells a kit for 65$ i think)

I like the angles and fit, for reference I'm about 5 10 and ride a medium. Top tube is nice and low never gets in the way. Full length seat tube is nice too.

Need any more details just let me know. I'd be glad to ramble on some more.

Cheers,
    Ryan
    raw looks good buddy!

did you paint the fork lowers? rattle can? or more serious?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Another happy Maelstrom owner here. I have mine set up with a single ring up front and the plastic roller and have had zero issues. Most of the problems I have seen have to do with chainline while running a front derailer. The bike is nice and low, handles great, and the rearward suspension makes it feel pretty bottomless for a 7in travel frame. However, it is not a maintenance free frame and it takes some wrenching to keep running smooth. I enjoy that part of riding, so for me it is no big deal. Keep the bearings clean and greased, keep the linkage clean and properly torqued, keep the roller clean and greased and you should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff
    raw looks good buddy!

did you paint the fork lowers? rattle can? or more serious?
    Rattle can action for now. I let them sit for a good long time before putting them on in hopes the paint would harden up nice. Seems to be holding up good so far but if it gets mucked up I might just have them powdered. Red came out a bit darker then I had hoped anyway, I wanted it to match my cranks, it's not bad just not exactly what I wanted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I really like the idea of the bike and the parts list is impressive but its about 50/50 of what i have heard (good vs bad) on the bike so i am swayed. It seems like the hammerschmidt would take care of the chain issue i have heard about. I have heard it is hard to set up the shock while it is on the bike...is that true? I am not a huge fan of working on my bikes (until something breaks ). I just want a solid bike i can count on when I am smashing down the mountain. Is the Maelstrom not being made for '11? What is Corsair's warranty on the frame?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Corsair is introducing a bunch of new bikes for '11. There will be a model that will replace the Maelstrom.

The hammer has been proven to work well on these frame. Great build kit on that bike for the money!!

As for setting up the shock, reaching the air valve can be a pain. Pick up a 90 bend adaptor from your lbs. I think the one I have is branded by Topek. On the note of the shock are you sure it's just a Rocco R? Most shipped with the Rocco WC.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was told it was a Roco Coil R but maybe it is the WC, i will check. PS Pepper, do you know what the frame warranty is and where the frame is made? Corsair's site is under construction and unable to find this info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I think it's one year, and Taiwan (like most bikes) but don't quote me on this I'm not positive.

Riiiiiide...
    Hey Messican, here's some info on my experiences..
    Corsair Maelstrom

Other than what is written there, i will add a few things (i'll be updating my thread soon as well). Of all the serious problems that can happen, i've had them all.

1. Idler problems .. solved myself (see my thread).
    2. cracked pivot bolt .. getting 3 main pivot bolts made of steel as we speak. No point of getting new alu ones when they obviously aren't strong enough.
    3. And the worst one, 2 small cracks on seat tube, at the 2 bottom welds. Corsair said they would take care of me, but that might or might not take a while. So, i had a welder fit the lower half of the seat tube (inside) with a pipe and re-weld. I tried to abuse the bike to make it fail but all is okay. It seems that the seat tube just isn't thick enough in the long run. (i know only of my and one other case of cracking)

Definetely a frame that needs tinkering. But it seriously rides wicked. It really is too bad that they aren't fixing problems which are easily solveable and continuing the Maelstrom.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyCro
    Hey Messican, here's some info on my experiences..
    Corsair Maelstrom

Other than what is written there, i will add a few things (i'll be updating my thread soon as well). Of all the serious problems that can happen, i've had them all.

1. Idler problems .. solved myself (see my thread).
    2. cracked pivot bolt .. getting 3 main pivot bolts made of steel as we speak. No point of getting new alu ones when they obviously aren't strong enough.
    3. And the worst one, 2 small cracks on seat tube, at the 2 bottom welds. Corsair said they would take care of me, but that might or might not take a while. So, i had a welder fit the lower half of the seat tube (inside) with a pipe and re-weld. I tried to abuse the bike to make it fail but all is okay. It seems that the seat tube just isn't thick enough in the long run. (i know only of my and one other case of cracking)

Definetely a frame that needs tinkering. But it seriously rides wicked. It really is too bad that they aren't fixing problems which are easily solveable and continuing the Maelstrom.
    Hmmm.....great review. Still unsure if i want to pull the trigger on the bike. I am not used to working on stuff that much and i always buy a tune up warranty so i dont have to, so not sure if i want to have to tinker with my bike all the time. Although the good reviews i have read are great, I just have not read any reviews that actually recommend getting the bike. For the money it seems like a good bike, i just worry that they are not making that frame anymore and not sure how issues would be handled. Guess i am just a worrier..lol

Riiiiiide...
    Well you're right to be worried, obviously, by all the info provided. The SX Trail is a really great bike, can't go wrong there. It doesn't absorb bumps like the Maelstrom, but then again, not many bikes actually do.
    If i had the money, a Jedi would be my next bike, built up with a hammerschmidt and single crown. But i plan to keep the Maelstrom running for a long while yet .

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican
    Just came across this bike and it looked impressive but cannot seem to find much feedback on them."
    no offense, but what a search FAIL. the maelstrom has a sh*t-ton of feedback on various forums, mostly because of mis-aligned construction and the pulley related issues. the bike developed such a bad rep, it was no surprise to see the remaining new frames blown out at a low price (think it was $999) on-line.

i hope the next round will not use the customer as proto design testers.

glad some owners have made it work for them.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have just been shopping for this style of bike so i had not heard of it that is why i was asking. I do belive that i will stick with my original bike pick for now but i was hopefull that it would be a good bike so i could save some cash, but i guess you get what you pay for