mtbr member

Converting Maxxis DHR II to tubeless

(cross post from Tires forums, I hope to get DH specific responses here)

I recently received the new Maxxis DHR II (DH 2-ply). It is a great improvement over the old DHR, but there is one big problem. The Old DHR was available in UST. The new DHR is not tubeless ready, although I can verify it goes on with Stans and a floor pump.

The problem is the sidewall, though tough, is porous. Inflating with 2 cups of Stans, over 2 days, did almost nothing and it would still go flat in about 1-2 hrs. There appears to be a TL (tubeless ready) tire in the works, as Maxxis appears to be switching to TL, from UST. However, it looks like that one will be single ply only.

So my dilemma is: how to I make this tire work. It is going on a Mavic 823, so the rim will not be an issue. There appear to be a few new products on the market such as:

ORANGE SEAL - ?Ride More? with Orange Seal?s Tubeless Tire Sealant | Mountain Bike Review

As well as other products such as:

SLIME - SLIME ? Worldwide Leader in Tire Care ? Repairing a flat tire? Slime Tire & Tube Sealant Catalog Catalog Products Slimepro Tubeless Sealant- For UST and Conversion Bikes (10112)
    SUPERJUICE - http://bontrager.com/model/04242
    FENWICKS - Airtight Tubeless Sealant

I particularly like the looks of Fenwicks, seems like its made in the UK, and I have no experience with it, or know anyone who has. I like the idea of painting it on.

Does anyone have experience with using a sealant to 'convert' a non-tubeless tire to tubeless. I have no doubt the Maxxis DHR II would make a good DH tire, but being that it is so porous, I can't use it without a tube, and I hate pinch flats. Any experience in this area would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

Slap happy crappiness
    Strange... I've been riding my DHR-II tubless on an 823 with roughly 2 scoops of Stan's for a few months now with ZERO issues.
    Do you do the whole tubeless on a non-UST tire dance after setting the bead?
    Inflate to 60PSI, grab the tire and shake it back and forth, rotate it say a quarter turn, shake it again... do this all the way around, then lay the wheel one one side and let it sit for 20ish min... then flip it and let it sit again. You should see the Stan's seeping through the pores making a white frothy foam where it's sealing.
    The next morning the tire might be flat again, just re-inflate, bring a pump, and go ride. Should be good from then on until the Stan's dries up in a few months.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Add more Stans as needed, til it fills all the pore space. Make sure to shake well, and follow DHgnaR s instructions above. I used porous tire before and eventually they do seal, after a few days.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    Strange... I've been riding my DHR-II tubless on an 823 with roughly 2 scoops of Stan's for a few months now with ZERO issues.
    .... Should be good from then on until the Stan's dries up in a few months.
    Yeah, I did the shake and bake. But since it was the day before a race (NWCUP), I couldn't take the chance. So I put my worn DHF on the back in hopes the track would dry and I would be faster on the pedally sections. Probably, lost time. Definitely did NOT hook up like the DHR did. The rear seemed to skitter all over the place.

I can use more Stans, but it seems so thin, I worry that it is not the best product for this purpose. I worry also about your comment "when it dries". Does that mean that it will cease to hold air when it dries? I am headed up to Whistler this Memorial Day weekend. I'll probably just put on my older HR and DHF and run full UST again.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone knows anything about those other product, I would be keen to know.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

Off the back...
    I set up standard DHF tires tubeless on 823s, but it took an entire weekend of shake flip inflate shake to get them to seal up. I used Stans, and it was still liquid when I took the tires off 18 months later. I'd give it more time.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Maxis tire, although their the most popular, aren't that great. their sidewalls are too thin for DH. Much beefier sidewalls with outher brands. I like Specialized Boutcher and Continentals Der Kaiser my self. I've heard good things about the Schabbis(spell) as well.

The stens will dry on exposed ares were it seats on the rim, and any pore space on the side wall. It stays ligiud inside.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Been running mine tubeless for a while I just doubled up on Stans and did the same as DHgnaR mentioned. No problems do far.

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    Yeah, I did the shake and bake. But since it was the day before a race (NWCUP), I couldn't take the chance. So I put my worn DHF on the back in hopes the track would dry and I would be faster on the pedally sections. Probably, lost time. Definitely did NOT hook up like the DHR did. The rear seemed to skitter all over the place.

I can use more Stans, but it seems so thin, I worry that it is not the best product for this purpose. I worry also about your comment "when it dries". Does that mean that it will cease to hold air when it dries? I am headed up to Whistler this Memorial Day weekend. I'll probably just put on my older HR and DHF and run full UST again.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone knows anything about those other product, I would be keen to know.
    I've yet to find a better product for this purpose... actually, I take that back... I've never had to look since Stan's has worked for me fine for the last 6 years. I run all my mountain bikes with non-UST Maxxis tires and Stan's.
    Stan's does dry up after a while, I think they say every three months you should add more but I go a lot longer than that most of the time. It will still hold air when it's dry, but if you burp it doesn't reseal so you're more likely to flat.
    Anyways, I've found the 823/Maxxis/Stan's combo to be the most reliable wheel setup that I've run; this applies to flat protection, traction, and overall durability. I don't really understand why you're having issues. For the record, I don't have any experience with Maxxis UST tires though but have heard mixed reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    Maxis tire, although they're the most popular, aren't that great.

Also, FTFY.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.