Thread: Conti tires

BGR / MCM #311

Conti tires

I'm reviving my Kona as my FR DH bike, added a new boxxer and some azonic outlaw wheels. Question is this.... last time I had this bike built up it had 2.5 continental diesels on it. Conti no longer makes the diesel. I have one left that's in great shape, tore the sidewall on the matching tire. What does conti make now that would be comparable? Would like something with folding bead, 2.5, and not horribly heavy cuz we gotta earn our downhills here by riding back up. The diesel I have is tubeless but am anticipating having to run tubes on the outlaws, so UST isn't a must. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

RideDirt
    Most people go with the norm on tire setup but have you looked into Continental Der Kaiser Tires ?

Also what are your riding conditions ? East vs West usually is different .

BGR / MCM #311
    Typical Midwestern stuff. Black soil, round rock gardens, wooden stunts and log piles. It'll also be used for trips like Moab, winter park, and pisgah. So pretty much an all arounder. Just looking for something similar to the diesel to get the good outta the one I've got and save a few pennies from having to buy 2 new tires. I'll check out the kaiser.
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

Committed
    I'd say look into the Trail King 2.4, choose the UST version if you want thicker sidewalls. It has a good tread pattern for your terrain and is very high volume.
    The Black Chilli rubber is super sticky and lasts a long time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a set of the der kaisers and I wouldn't recommend them if you need to pedal up. the tread blocks are spaced quite far apart making for a very slow roller. I found them a little unpredictable cornering for the rear as well, but maybe I'm just not badass enough to be parallel to the ground around every bend. The black chili compound wears very well considering how sticky it is, so maybe something like the Baron or Trail King would be up your alley.