mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Conti. Der kaiser in oregon

Conti Der Kaiser 2.5 for FR? anybody roll with these or have any better suggestions? Ride Pacific NorthWest dirt and black rock mostly.

Surf 'n' Trail Rat
    I live in SoCal (Orange County), so I probably have much different trail conditions than you do. Since i've used Der Kaisers as both a rear and -now- front tire, however, i'll give you my input. The rubber is really soft, so when I used it as a rear tire, the knobs were shredded after a few rides (I ride a lot of large rock features and dry steeps requiring a lot of braking). As I bought 2 of them for wholesale, I decided to try the other one for a front tire. Bingo! I love it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sweet dude, Bend Oregon is kind of like SoCal dirt, lots of "sand" and rocks. atleast i assume its like what we have here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What about the der barons, more designed for the loam. Think the der barons or muddy Mary's will work better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well right now I have a pair of Nevegal 2.5 stick-E that are working pretty well for this winter season. I've been running these since I got the bike at the beginning of the summer. Replaced the original set with new rubber (same as stock). I'm kind of looking for a new setup / feel in the summer. The Kenda Nevegals feel kind of slow rolling and heavy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've been running Der Kaisers on my DH bike for the last two seasons. About 20 or 30 shuttle days each season. They've been wearing great and I like the way the hook up. I'm going to replace them this season with a Der Kaiser for the rear, and a Der Baron for the front. The Der Baron is suposed to do better with wet stuff.

My one gripe is that it took me a while to dial in the air pressure. The old hand check method for determine "good enough to ride" air pressure didn't work too well with it's tough casing. Pressure gage is a must.

All of my riding was either done at Whistler, or in Port Angeles, WA.

maker of trail
    The only problem might be that the baron is a narrower tire than the kaiser.

If your black rock is anythign like our granite, and you have a lot of it, they won't last. I run the RQ's, they wear really well on dirt and grip nicely, but get them near the granite it shreds them.

To put it into perspective, one local trail ride on the granite put more visible wear on the tires than a whole season of DH!

It might be worth looking into the non black chili versions? at least for the back.

If its anything like the Diesel compound its actually not too bad.

(also note der = the in german, so writing "the der kaiser" is basically writing "the the kaiser"... )

mtbr member
    Black Rock is the name of the mountain bike area, 98% dirt with wooden features.

I ride there and I like my Maxxis Minion DHF's.
    "Let the wheels spin."

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by jmountain View Post
    Black Rock is the name of the mountain bike area, 98% dirt with wooden features.

I ride there and I like my Maxxis Minion DHF's.

Ah, ok haha

In that case no worries.

As for the minions, they are an awesome tire, rode them for ever. I would say to you try the new contis (and maybe schwalbe too but I've not riden those), went from DHF 42A front/highroller 60a rear to rubber queen(trail king)s in black chilli, never looked back. I'd wear minons in about half a season, RQ's been going strong for 1.5 seasons now...

Similar traction wet/dry, and easily a million times faster rolling.

If its real DH then they are a bit weak and kaisers would be the ticket. Although I have a funny feeling the RQ handles a lot of conditions as well as it does due to the copious sipes, which the kaiser doesn't have which kinda concerns me...

mtbr member
    send "uncle cliffy" a PM - hes an ashland local that rides up at blackrock a few times a year, i used his mini dh bike for a summer and that had rubber queens on it. I think his m9 had der kaisers on it for long enough to form an opinion on them, think hes even ridden blackrock in the rain on those tires... that was a day i was happy to stay in ashland hahaha - i heard it was a slopfest. so send him a PM, it sounds like he has the knowledge you seek and i think youll learn everything you want to know about conti's

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff View Post
    (also note der = the in german, so writing "the der kaiser" is basically writing "the the kaiser"... )
    Well aware of the translation. Der Kaiser is the full name of the tire. Totally acceptable to place a "the" in front of it.

Like the info on the Rubber Queens, been thinking of a switch from my EXO Minions on my 6 inch bike. I pedal to the top a lot, any info on how they climb? Wet roots?

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by JMUSuperman View Post
    Well aware of the translation. Der Kaiser is the full name of the tire. Totally acceptable to place a "the" in front of it.

Like the info on the Rubber Queens, been thinking of a switch from my EXO Minions on my 6 inch bike. I pedal to the top a lot, any info on how they climb? Wet roots?
    So you would say "have you seen the the river?" for example?, where "the river" is the name of the show? I know in German you would use the "der" that's there instead of adding another in front of it it.

But since its a different language name its probably less of an issue, however to me, being both fluent in German and English it looks funny .

As to teh RQ, they roll fast, so yeah, climbing is ok (I say ok, because I can't bring myself to say climbing is "good" lol), and traction wise I've not had any more scary moments on wet roots than you would on minions.

They don't do so well in deep slop on account of the relatively shallow tread.