mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Comparison - Need people's opinions!

Hi there, I'm looking to buy an entry level freeride bike (around 180mm of travel, single crown forks). So far I've narrowed it down to 3: Ghost Northshore 2012, Scott Voltage FR 30 [2011/2012 model], Specialized Status I. Now initially i'd jump for the Status, but I've found the Ghost Northshore cheaper and the Voltage also seems very appealing, what does everyone else think?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Note: The Specialized Status I i mentioned would be a 2012 model.

Uphill? What's that
    Well here is my 2 cents.. Not a fan of Scott, I have never seen a Ghost bike so I can't comment on it. So that leaves the Status.. Good thing about the Status is you can throw a dual crown on it if you want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    yeah i guess that's true, i've heard good things about the scott voltages, and my friend has a ghost dh (the one up from the northshore) and swears by it, i'm just trying to find out if there's any problems with any of them i guess

mtbr member
    The Voltage is extremely versatile with many different travel & geo adjustments and might be more affordable. You could potentially save money and upgrade key components like the fork or shock. I ride a Voltage FR20 mostly for DH purposes and only ride it in the 180mm travel mode with both DC fork and a single crown 180mm. It does just fine for me. The rear end is a little flexy, but depending on your weight it might not be that big of a deal; it doesn’t bother me. I like that you can build it up as a short travel jump bike or a 7” DH plower.

I have no experience on the Status or the Ghost.

Although the Status might be a little more DH oriented, it still seems like a pretty FR capable bike too. Proven FSR suspension over the Voltage’s single pivot. I like that the Status 1 is set up with more travel than the FR30 and I think the lower end X-fusion suspension on the Status might even be a little bit better than what’s on the FR30.

If I had the choice today, I might choose the Status over the Voltage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    ok thanks for the opinions, i'll still keep my eyes open. i think i'd rather have the status over the voltage, but the ghost seems really good and i've found a new one really cheap, i'll wait and see

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ghost.
    You know the Germans always make good stuff.

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pikls_94 View Post
    ok thanks for the opinions, i'll still keep my eyes open. i think i'd rather have the status over the voltage, but the ghost seems really good and i've found a new one really cheap, i'll wait and see
    I'd take the voltage over the Status anyday. The voltage feel a lot lighter, more playful, nimble, jump better and so on. The status is more of a DH rig, it will plow better and stuff, but I talked to a guy who rode one, and he said it jumped horribly, felt heavy and not nimble...

just my 2 cents

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    oh right that's interesting, i think i'd rather have a more playful nimble bike i guess, i think my friend's got a voltage actually, i'll have to ask if i can have a try, it does look more suited to what i want to do

mtbr member
    Get a used Knolly Delirium frame (2010 or newer) and never look back! You can build one up for under what it would cost for one of the lesser bikes mentioned!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    the Ghost bikes look amazing but i have never actually rid one. Scott is a fairly good company and a friend had a voltage and it was fairly durable. And with the specialized. My friend has a status 2 and absolutley loves it. rides really well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    overall i think the status.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Go with the status

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'd go for the status...

24v
    Scratch That Itch
    Apr 2009
    Trek Scratch is a nice bike in that range if you can find one on sale. I just bought mine and love it.
    Trek Scratch 9 - Trek Bicycle Superstore San Diego CA

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Good Luck!

Glad to Be Alive
    entry level bike?? so your first one and you are getting a 2012??? Don't do it....go a little older and save your cash....that way you can beat the bike up and then sale it for approx same price...then buy a better bike if you like the sport....again you would be stupid buying a 2012
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    STATUS!! is sick