I do what I want

Clutch der and chainguides?

So just wanted to know if anyone here has dropped their full chainguide systems in favor of using a clutch type der alone? How is that working, have you dropped your chain much?

Reason I ask, is I had a very large bike mfg, who shall remain nameless, has tried to tell me that chainguides are becoming unnecessary now with the introduction of clutch derailleurs.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    So just wanted to know if anyone here has dropped their full chainguide systems in favor of using a clutch type der alone? How is that working, have you dropped your chain much?

Reason I ask, is I had a very large bike mfg, who shall remain nameless, has tried to tell me that chainguides are becoming unnecessary now with the introduction of clutch derailleurs.
    Hum...I think you should name names.
    Regardless, I still have a pretty big desire to keep my chain and ring combo from scraping across rocks, kicking out sparks and starting wild fires.

Okay, I'm kidding about starting wild fires...but it would spark, no?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Well, there are new-ish designs that have the bash as an attachment to the crank. Not quite a ring, covers the bottom 1/4 when pedals are flat. Related?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I still manage to drop the chain occasionally with a clutch rear and 2x chain guide. Had it happen with a MRP 2X and Ethirteen.

usually cranky
    for dh/fr id imagine a full guide would always be run, for trail applications, with the new thick/ thin tooth profile, i can see guides becoming unnecessary. but as always i really think it will come down to the specific bike.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quite a few people in North Van/Whistler/Squamish experimenting with just clutch derailleurs (short cage Zees are common) and chainrings with non-drop teeth (Wolf tooth, proto RaceFace, proto North SHore Billet) without guides with range of success. Mostly success. Mix of 1x10 and 1x9
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

~~~~~~~~
    Doubt if you'll see any WC DH racers without guides. Shorter travel trail riding makes sense, but I've been "freeriding" my 140mm travel bike non clutch 2x setup lately without a guide and haven't had a chain drop. No plans to update my DH bike drivetrain with uber expensive 1x parts anyway. The new simpler guides are nice.

mtbr member
    I tried the clutch thing with out a chain guide, but the chain did come off even with the chain on the short side. Im going to put a guide wheel on just for racing and piece of mind . I think maybe the technology has a bit to go.