mtbr member

Clipless or Flat?

So when I ride through narly tech sections I find my feet getting bounced off the pedals, same with just rough braking bumps. I am willing to try clipless pedals cause I know they will help but I'm not sure where to start. You guys have any recommendations for good pedals and shoes that are easy to learn on and not going to brake the bank? They would be greatly appreciated!

And whether you guys use clipless pedals or not. And why?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    have you ever ridden clipless? how long have you been riding? its a big no-no to go to clipless too soon, just a bandaid for poor riding technique. get dialed on flats first. what pedals and shoes do you have? 510 impacts are a must for riding downhill, and a quality pedal is pretty crucial as well. if sam hill can win on flats then there is nothing wrong with them. there were 2 riders on flats inside the top 10 at the last world cup.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    have you ever ridden clipless? how long have you been riding? its a big no-no to go to clipless too soon, just a bandaid for poor riding technique. get dialed on flats first. what pedals and shoes do you have? 510 impacts are a must for riding downhill, and a quality pedal is pretty crucial as well. if sam hill can win on flats then there is nothing wrong with them. there were 2 riders on flats inside the top 10 at the last world cup.
    true....you need to flex your knees more and ride loose....not stiff....you should be able to absorb the hits and keep your feet on....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

Clipless or Flat?

I have been riding for 3 seasons. And when I ride I just have normal runners. Never thought there were mtb shoes besides ones with clips. Never really thought about getting any. And when your flying down a straight and hit a ton of braking bumps super close together I super hard to get no vibration and keep my feet steady on the pedals. Could it just be my runners tho? They are getting really torn up.

mtbr member
    I rode clipless for 15 years and just switched back to flats a few months ago. I'll probably never go clipless again. I use 5/10 freerider shoes and Canfield crampon pedals that are slightly convex... my feet are GLUED to the pedals unless I choose to eject. After being in midair, clipped in saying, "Ah crap" enough times in my life, I love the confidence boost of being able to throw my bike away, but still be on a crazy grippy pedal shoe setup. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by dirtyBob; 08-14-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    Your local ride misses you.
    Briones Bum.com

mtbr member

Clipless or Flat?

Awesome thanks for the info guys!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Downhill123 View Post
    Could it just be my runners tho?
    absolutely yes. 5.10s are what you need. If you look around you can probably find freeriders for $50-$60

mtbr member
    I second the 5.10s and Canfield Crampon pedals. Unreal grip ,and super light. But nothing will work if you don't really bend your knees and use them to absorb the bike's movement.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    I still use my Impacts from 7 years ago. Great for hiking up as well as pedal grip.

mtbr member

Clipless or Flat?

Yeah well I wasn't having this problem before, so I'm thinking it may just be the shoes.

mtbr member
    I rode flats for years. My shins took a beating. No matter how good the grips on the pedals are or how sticky the shoes, there's the odd chance they'll come off and when the do the more abuse your shins will take.

Clipless brought with it a lot more advantages. I became a better biker because I knew I had to either power through technical stuff or risk falling if I came to a sudden stop. I improved my gearing switching techniques i.e. always look ahead to see when you are climbing.

Being able to use your hamstrings is a huge bonus. You can't do that no matter how good flat pedal/shoes are.

I can bunny hop better. My technique was good but not consistent, especially when I am tired. I don't have to worry about that anymore.

I love my Shimano SPDs. It gets a lot of flack for mud clearance but I have never had a problem with them. They are tough and can take a beating on rocks and roots. I love being able to adjust the tension. Set it and forget it. They are very durable and low maintenance. They also don't offer float which is an issue for some folks. But if you get float, you'll also need to move your feet more to unclip. Also support wise they are the best as they are so popular.

Your other options are Crankbrothers (not durable but great mud clearance), Time (great but if they break good luck dealing with them in France), Speedplays (decent but you'll be limited with shoe selection).
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200

mtbr member

Clipless or Flat?

Awesome! Thanks for the information!

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    If you get some 5.10's and continue to bounce off your pedals, you either need to spend the time to learn proper weighting technique to get into good riding position or just bite the bullet and go clipless to make up for it.
    I don't care what you ride or how you ride just as long as you ride.