mtbr member

Changing stock fork on an Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho

I'm fairly new to DH and have been doing some research, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what forks to get for an '08 Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho.

It has the Marzocchi 888 203mm (stock), but I want to be able to adjust my setup and get something set up a little more for my weight (185-190lbs).

Can someone shed some light on this for me, the help would be appreciated.

And will I need to purchase any other parts besides the fork?

Thanks in advance.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If you think you can
    i would upgrade it to a 888rc2x! they have great adjustability and the 06-07s are super reliable and plush!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I also have an '08 Kumicho and I swapped the 888 RV for a 2009 Rockshox World Cup when Jenson had a great sale on them last year. I only have a few rides on the bike at the end of last season after doing the change in October. The World Cup is lighter and offers a lot more adjustability than the 888 did but I didn't have much time to get the World Cup dialed in last year. I had to buy a different brake caliper mount since the 888 and WC are different, and I also bought a Truvativ direct mount stem which was also different from the 888. You will also have to remove the crown race from the 888 and put it on your new fork. It can be a little tricky so you might want to have a local bike shop do that.The 888 wasn't bad but since it was the OEM RV it didn't offer any compression damping adjustment unless you wanted to mess with oil volume and viscosity or change the springs to a different weight - not something I wanted to mess with. Some people say air forks are not as smooth as springs but I don't have enough time on the fork to form an opinion yet. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the input.

I'm definately looking for an oil shock, I'm just not too sure what brand. I'll check out the zoke 888 rc2x.

I guess I'll just have to find a deal, somewhere.

Thanks again, fellas!

Stay thirsty my friends
    Why not just get the right spring for the fork you have and get it setup properly before you buy another fork?

Nothing wrong with what you have already.
    "Say good night to the bad guy."
    Tony Montana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_TE...eature=related

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think you mean a spring fork instead of air, not an oil fork. Every fork will have oil in it. But I agree with 4JawChuck, there isn't anything wrong at all with a 888, having the correct spring for your weight would help you get a little more of the desired performance you are looking for I suspect. I would spend the money on some other worthwhile upgrades, personally the best upgrades I have made on my Kumicho were either my brakes or my rear shock. Lets see your spec list and maybe we can give you some more suggestions!

mtbr member
    Everything on the bike came on it, besides an outlaw/hope wheelset & Sram pg970 cassette.

I talked to a friend of mine who owns a bike shop here, and he said I could send my Marzocchi 888's to get tuned up and springed for my weigh for $125.00

Should I go ahead and pick up a Fox DHX 5.0? I would rather send both of them at the same time.

REAR SHOCK FOX VAN R, 8.75"X2.75"
    FORK MARZOCCHI 888 RV, 203MM TRAVEL
    HANDLEBAR FUNN 318, 30MM RISE, 710MM WIDTH, 31.8MM CLAMP
    STEM FUNN MZX2 DIRECT MOUNT STEM, 31.8MM CLAMP
    HEADSET ORBIT Z 1.5R
    BB FSA MEGAEXO, 83MM
    CRANK FSA GRAVITY GAP MEGAEXO, 170MM
    RINGS FSA, 36T
    PEDALS CRANK BROS 5050X PLATFORM
    CHAIN HG-73
    SADDLE WTB PURE V RACE
    SEATPOST FUNN SPLINED V3, 30.0MM
    F. HUB ALLOY DH, SEALED BEARING, 110MM X 20MM THRU AXLE, 32H
    R. HUB ALLOY DH, SEALED BEARING, 150MM X 12MM THRU AXLE, 32H
    F. DER E-THIRTEEN LG.1
    R. DER SRAM X.7 MID CAGE
    SHIFTER SRAM X.5 TRIGGER
    CASSETTE SRAM PG-950, 11/32T, 9 SPEED
    BRAKES AVID JUICY 3 W/ 203MM ROTORS
    BRAKE LEVER AVID JUICY 3
    RIM WTB SPEED DISC XL, 32H
    SPOKE 14G STAINLESS BLACK
    TIRES ITS 909 FRO COMPOUND, DUAL PLY, 2.5" FRONT & REAR
    SIZE 16", 17", 19"
    COLORS WHITE SATIN

GEOMETRY
    Size HA SA Eff TT CS WB BB Min Max
    19" 66 60 24.5" 17.25" 46" 14.15" 6'0"

Thanks again for all the help!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    seems to be a pretty solid build actually. i would send the 888 off to get tuned for your weight and if you want you can get a dhx 5.0, but if you dont have to skill to tune it properly and feel your adjustments properly there is really no reason to get rid of the Van R, the Van R is a great shock as well anyways.