mtbr member

Chain ring/guide 3x9 speed

Okay, its just a quick question. I have a Orange five pro 2012 and its currently got a 3x9 speed. I like doing cross country but want to do downhill as well. I can go down to 2x9 speed but i know if i want a chain guide i will have to go down to 1x9 but that will be to low so i will need 1x10 witch i don't want to do because of cost. Any ideas anyone??

mtbr member

mtbr member
    you have effectively answered your own question. Awesome.

but you can always try downhill with your 3x9 set up, maybe your chain won't come off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by howardyudoing View Post
    you have effectively answered your own question. Awesome.

but you can always try downhill with your 3x9 set up, maybe your chain won't come off.
    Lol yeah! Not sure do you have experience with 3x9? I want to get a chain ring protector anyway. So might just get this but i want to get the best i can for the money, there isn't any cheaper versions of this are there? Thanks

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I used to ride a 3x9 hardtail down some stuff it wasn't made for, and yes I dropped the chain plenty of times. lol but a bottom chain roller doesn't really guarantee anything. Your front derailleur will need to be adjusted properly to keep the chain in line with the ring.

what sizes are your chain rings? you might have a significant loss of chain tension while using a long cage rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by howardyudoing View Post
    I used to ride a 3x9 hardtail down some stuff it wasn't made for, and yes I dropped the chain plenty of times. lol but a bottom chain roller doesn't really guarantee anything. Your front derailleur will need to be adjusted properly to keep the chain in line with the ring.

what sizes are your chain rings? you might have a significant loss of chain tension while using a long cage rear derailleur.
    To be truthful i haven't even go it yet but i'm just getting ready to buy some things for it! Dunno if this helps you, this is what i have got! Orange Five Pro 18′ | Tweed Valley Bike Hire by Alpine Bikes Glentress and Innerleithen Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the link I had the same question and it helped

mtbr member
    Do you have iscg tabs? If not have you ever looked at the Bionicon C Guide? I've never used one but I have heard a few reviews and they seem to work well and still allow you to shift. Pinkbike did a quick writeup on them a while ago. Here's the link Pinkbike Product Picks - Pinkbike.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Another idea would be for you to look at the new XT or XTR plus derailleurs with the clutch system on them. I have one on my 2x10 and it seems to work quite well. SRAM also has one or will shortly if I'm not mistaken.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    Do you have iscg tabs? If not have you ever looked at the Bionicon C Guide? I've never used one but I have heard a few reviews and they seem to work well and still allow you to shift. Pinkbike did a quick writeup on them a while ago. Here's the link Pinkbike Product Picks - Pinkbike.
    That's not a bad idea! Not sure though as i do want a bash guard aswell.

mtbr member
    Another idea would be for you to look at the new XT or XTR plus derailleurs with the clutch system on them. I have one on my 2x10 and it seems to work quite well. SRAM also has one or will shortly if I'm not mistaken.
    That will cost a ALLOT wont it!?

mtbr member
    It look's abit flimsy on this video though:/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxUXmQsjiiU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andythemtbking View Post
    That will cost a ALLOT wont it!?
    Not sure about the XT or the SRAM version but the XTR can be had for around $200 so yes it probably would cost a lot.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Not sure about the XT or the SRAM version but the XTR can be had for around $200 so yes it probably would cost a lot.
    All i can seem to find is this DriveTorque Stage 3 Clutch Kit for Subaru - larkspeed.com
    Lol, can you send me a link with it one please? Thanks

mtbr member
    I could go for this: 3x9

MRP XCG Triple Chain Device : Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes| Winstanleys Cycles
    Bionicon c.guide v.02 black

Or this: 2x9
    Bionicon c.guide v.02 black
    Hope Bashguard : Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes| Winstanleys Cycles

Or this:2x9
    E Thirteen Heim 2RS Chain Guide Inc Bash | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    or
    Gamut P30 Dual Chain Guide | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

What one? Thanks

mtbr member
    Is there any alternatives of the Bionicon C Guide? I don't like the way you have to take the chain off put it on and the fact it looks like it will wear quickly. Thanks

mtbr member
    Okay, i'm going to go and buy one today, so what do you think is the best option out of all of them?
    Last edited by Andythemtbking; 11-15-2012 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    I actually don't think the Bionicon C Guide will work on my orange five pro, go search Google images of it and you will see why.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    To be honest, I really would recommend converting your bike to a 2x9. I REALLY doubt anyone actually uses their large front chainring unless they're riding really fast down a road.

I run 1x9, but 2x9 totally makes sense if your riding involves alot of climbing. 3x9 seems pretty useless for 99% of riders.

I think you'd be happy with a 2x9 and a bash. Bashguards can save you a trip to the hospital too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    To be honest, I really would recommend converting your bike to a 2x9. I REALLY doubt anyone actually uses their large front chainring unless they're riding really fast down a road.

I run 1x9, but 2x9 totally makes sense if your riding involves alot of climbing. 3x9 seems pretty useless for 99% of riders.

I think you'd be happy with a 2x9 and a bash. Bashguards can save you a trip to the hospital too.
    Yeah i will but should i go for a guide? Not sure what one to buy.

mtbr member
    Will i also have to change my gear shifters and front derailleur?

mtbr member
    Have been running the Bionicon c-guide for a while now
    on a 2x9 setup with a bash guard.Smooth shifting,no chain
    slap & haven't dropped the chain once.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redtil View Post
    Have been running the Bionicon c-guide for a while now
    on a 2x9 setup with a bash guard.Smooth shifting,no chain
    slap & haven't dropped the chain once.
    I would go for that but if you google orange five you will see that it wont work with the frame. I could go for this? e.thirteen TRS Dual Ring Retention ISCG05 32-36t black Is there anyway you can modify a 1x9 chain guide/ bash to make it work with2x9? Thanks!