mtbr member
    May 2012

Chain length help

Can someone tell me how many link I should remove going from a 36 t front ring to a 32t ring?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It depends on the positioning of the derailleur cage because it might not have been perfect with the 36t anyway. If you're sure you had a good chain length before, 3 should be a good start. If you're not sure, then install the chain ring with the current chain length, remove your rear shock, put it in the biggest cog (granny gear), and cycle the suspension (crucial) to find out where the chain is stretched the most (called max chain growth). Then you can use your fingers to take up slack by pinching the chain and rotating the cage until the cage is rotated so far towards the cranks (counter clockwise) that there is almost no slack left for it to take up (looks goofy). Remove the amount of links necessary to essentially give you the shortest chain your frame/components can handle safely. Cycle the suspension a couple more times to be sure and you should be good!

mtbr member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the reply, I just didn't want to take out the coil to do that. It came stock with a 36t with a short cage derailleur. And it runs good. It is on a trek scratch 9.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If you're too unmotivated to remove the shock and do the procedure correctly then you shouldn't remove any links at all. You don't want to find out you took out too many links when you hit a G-out in your granny gear and your derailleur rips off. I mean, it's only two bolts (one will do on frames with lots of room around the shock) so why take the risk.