Now rollin the Big Hit

Upset Caveat Emptor...My Frame came dented what would you do?????

So the Big Hit frame I recently got off of here came with a dented toptube and play in the rear linkage. The play is very noticable so i'll probably have to replace the shock hardware, and the dent is not the biggest i've seen on a big hit but it's certainly not pretty, nor what I payed for .

There was no mention of either of these when the add was on ridemonkey, or when I talked to him on the phone.

It's a 04 big hit comp, I payed near $400. What would you do. Or rather, what is the next step....

I still want the frame but feel I may have overpayed and am owed some for essentail details being left out.

Let me know what you all think,

Thanks,
    John
    Hailing from Reno, NV by way of Vegas...
    Now rockin the Big Hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J-mizzle
    So the Big Hit frame I recently got off of here came with a dented toptube and play in the rear linkage. The play is very noticable so i'll probably have to replace the shock hardware, and the dent is not the biggest i've seen on a big hit but it's certainly not pretty, nor what I payed for .

There was no mention of either of these when the add was on ridemonkey, or when I talked to him on the phone.

It's a 04 big hit comp, I payed near $400. What would you do. Or rather, what is the next step....

I still want the frame but feel I may have overpayed and am owed some for essentail details being left out.

Let me know what you all think,

Thanks,
    John
    Call the dude and work it out. Start off polite and if he doesn't budge get nasty and let folks know not to buy stuff from him. $400 is pretty cheap, but if he didn't describe the dent or the blown linkage, then you didn't get what you thought you were paying for.

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    (put this into consideration) a new frame is going to cost around $800 to $1000

mtbr member
    Did you ask if the frame had dents or if there was play in the linkage? If so, and he lied to you, then you have a case if you decide to take this to small claims court (if it is even worth it to you). If you didn't ask these questions, let me tell you that I feel your pain brother, but the title of your thread is the answer to your question: "buyer beware." An '04 BigHit for $400 begs some questions.

Sorry if my answer seems blunt. As a lawyer, I can't help but be pragmatic at first. There are other ways to approach this though and I agree with the first poster in that respect. I'm really sorry about the disappointment and even if you didn't ask those questions, any self-respecting, legit seller should have been up front about it. Sounds like he is a cagey little douche.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by panthro
    Did you ask if the frame had dents or if there was play in the linkage? If so, and he lied to you, then you have a case if you decide to take this to small claims court (if it is even worth it to you). If you didn't ask these questions, let me tell you that I feel your pain brother, but the title of your thread is the answer to your question: "buyer beware." An '04 BigHit for $400 begs some questions.

Sorry if my answer seems blunt. As a lawyer, I can't help but be pragmatic at first. There are other ways to approach this though and I agree with the first poster in that respect. I'm really sorry about the disappointment and even if you didn't ask those questions, any self-respecting, legit seller should have been up front about it. Sounds like he is a cagey little douche.
    He doesn't need to ask, or shouldn't need to. Its usually expected that the owner will specify any problems prior to sale. $400 really isn't that great of a deal on an '04 Bighit Comp Frame either, so I doubt he was accepting a beater.

Now rollin the Big Hit

Bonking ... not feelin' well Pfffffff........

I wouldn't dream of posting a name until there is no other alternative. It's for sure unethical to slander.

As far as those that are claiming that $400 is cheap your right but. That's also about 3 weeks or rather 90+ hours of me working as a waiter. A lot of time to invest into somthing. I am a full time college kid who puts in 30+ working and more than I care to think of school wise and I don't have the luxury making a mistake.

He replied and said that he forgot it was there, as he hadn't ridden it in a while. I'm not sure if I take his word for it but he has made an effort to make it right. Which is the correct thing to do.....

Anyways, thanks for all of the input the situation is resolved and he'll be sending a little money back my way to help pay for the new hardware.

As far as the dent, well, it sucks but there isn't much I can really do short of sending back the frame which would sap even more money out of my pocket and cause more hassle.

I'm essentially going to eat this one because Summer is about here and I got to ride........

Anyways, I think i'm satisfied? I guess? Still feels like I got my arse kicked in a fight but won...................Kind of SUBLIME

Peace,
    John
    Hailing from Reno, NV by way of Vegas...
    Now rockin the Big Hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meh.
    Get some money out of it. Atleast get the guy to split the cost of new bearings/bushings.

mtbr member
    I don't think we should allow lawyers on this forum...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    eh, we shouldn't allow lawyers anywhere.

oootard

Easy on the lawyers...

I have one year left - it is how I feed my habit. And whoever the clown was arguing with the REAL lawyer on this board, step back brother.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    Easy on the lawyers...

I have one year left - it is how I feed my habit. And whoever the clown was arguing with the REAL lawyer on this board, step back brother.
    If you're referring to me, I wasn't arguing, or intending to. I was just saying that usually there is a certain amount of pride in selling stuff on buy/sell internet forums. I know that wouldn't hold up in court, but I was just saying that its usually a courtesy to describe the item accurately.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    Easy on the lawyers...

easy there L2, my wife is a "REAL" laywer, don't make me have her bury you.......

mtbr member
    Haha! I loved the comments about "no lawyers on this forum" - that's pretty sweet - those never get old, do they?

Thanks dbordeaux - smile, you only have one year left! And to the OP, I'm glad you were able to work something out with the seller.

oootard

oh i am smiling man. i have one year left and i am working for a great firm paying me for the whole summer. too much $$ i might add. but who's complaining...