N* Bomber Crew

Carbon Fiber Seatpost Question

Okay, this may very well be the DUMBEST question ever on MTBR.

But can you cut a Carbon Fiber Seatpost?

I am assuming you can't. But has anyone done it? Bad things happen? Just want to know cause I might toss a carbon fiber seatpost on my new DH rig to drop some weight.
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I heard that some of the carbon posts have snapped form the impact with your a$s and people have ended up with second but holes.

e-misanthrope
    Rectal bleeding is the new white - go for it.
    Don't waive your rights with your flags.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    wrap a piece of masking tape around where you cut and youll be fine. Keeps it from splintering. but I wouldnt put it in a dh ouch!

yaha ha
    can you snap a carbon post? yes easily.
    Can you waste ALOT of money tobreak it? yes easily

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Straight from Park Tools website: (I'm sure the same applies to carbon seatposts)

NOTE FOR CARBON FIBER: For carbon fiber steering column, a finer 32 TPI blade is recommended. To minimize dust from the carbon, keep the blade wet. If you prefer to use a "diamond rod blade", it is possible to install washers to widen the guide slot of the SG-6. Another option is to use the outer blade as a guide. Hold the diamond blade against the outside steel face of the SG-6. Align the cut mark to this outside face, and press gently against the tool as you cut. Note that this will visually mar the tool. Use a fine emery cloth to finish the end.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Straight from Park Tools website: (I'm sure the same applies to carbon seatposts)

NOTE FOR CARBON FIBER: For carbon fiber steering column, a finer 32 TPI blade is recommended. To minimize dust from the carbon, keep the blade wet. If you prefer to use a "diamond rod blade", it is possible to install washers to widen the guide slot of the SG-6. Another option is to use the outer blade as a guide. Hold the diamond blade against the outside steel face of the SG-6. Align the cut mark to this outside face, and press gently against the tool as you cut. Note that this will visually mar the tool. Use a fine emery cloth to finish the end.
    beat me to it. if you can cut a carbon steertube, you can cut a carbon seatpost.

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL and cut with VERY LITTLE PRESSURE. If the carbon begins to fray or come apart while your cutting, your hosed.

I would recommend putting epoxy on the cut part of the seatpost, so that you don't risk the chance of the carbon weave unweaving itself later down the road.

N* Bomber Crew
    Ok these are pretty legit reasons not to get a Carbon Seat post.

Sticking with the Thomson.
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBrakes!
    I heard that some of the carbon posts have snapped form the impact with your a$s and people have ended up with second but holes.
    I broke a carbon seatpost once. I bought a used carbon post (can't remember the brand now) at a swap and threw it on my single speed. It worked find for a while, and then one time I rode off the edge of the pavement onto a dirt lot - maybe a 3" drop - and heard a weird, deep pop as I landed. And then my seat very gently leaned back.

I was really shocked when I hopped off my bike and saw a bunch of jagged, carbon spikes aimed at my bunghole. If things had gone a little differently... ouch. No more carbon posts for me. Felt pretty dumb for picking up a used carbon post too.

mtbr member
    I have carbon fiber bars and am anxiously waiting for them to explode.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've just hit an all time record for highest imagined pain after reading this thread! LOL!
    -
    --Dan
    2005 IH Warrior Race
    DetailingGurus Blog