mtbr member
    Apr 2004

the canyons vs deer valley vs brian head

ive been out of the bike scene for a while now. im starting to get the down hill itch again. that means hopefully a new bike and a season pass to a bike park. i rode brian head for years when i lived in so utah and i had a very good time there. i live up in the ogden area now and was wondering how the canyons and deer valley stack up against each other? i havent ridden the canyons in probably 9-10 years ish. if i remember right it had some good vertical and theves forest and fire swamp awesome. i rode the canyons once this last summer and it didnt have awesone vertical and only 3 real dh trails. really only rode 1 trail tho. so any insite on the canyons vs deer valley and how they compare to brian head would be awesome. or anyother places to ride dh in the northern ut area

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    In my opinion, what you already know is how things are, haha. I think you also meant DV has Thieves Forest and Fire Swamp. They are still there in typical blown out condition but thats what makes it fun IMO.

I have rode DV the last four years, there has been little change. According to people in the scene longer it has never really changed except for erosion haha.

I dont think either really compare to Brian Head, other than the obvious lift assisted in the mountains.

I have heard rumor PC resort will have some new stuff this year, possibly teaming up with Woodward? Dont know exactly what that will bring though.

I enjoy the Canyons very much but I wouldn't call any of it DH. Awesome resort style jump lines.

To me DH is rocky, root-ee, techie, loose, tree runs. There are lots of trails that "descend" in our area and people get all bent out of shape cause they show up on a DH rig, cause someone else thinks that cause they go downhill it is a DH trail.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though.

Canyons was busy this year, its a very fun and social place, the new bike chairs pretty much eliminated the lines from the previous year.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    I spend two each summer in DV. (It has the right fit for my family with kids camp, hiking for my wife, and riding for me).

They added one new trail last year that appeared to be a first attempt at adding some tables. They were a little too exposed with too many switch backs for pure flow but new is better than nothing. Theives Forest and Fire Swamp are still fun but pretty sketchy at the top. With the lack of rain last year NCS was pretty much pure moon dust and braking was almost pointless since you just get moving with the dirt. Hopefully a little rain will be in the forecast this summer.

With all that said it is still a fun place to ride for what it is. Old school technical downhill versus jump lines and flow trails. The flip side is is almost never crowded (especially on the double blacks). Canyons is fun but I agree they need a few more trails.

I would say ride both then mix in a weekend trip to Trestle Bike Park in Winter Park (or splurge and go to Whistler).

Glad to Be Alive
    I can only speak of DV, but I would only buy a season pass if I lived close....there is only one true line and it gets boring fast....I would help dig with some locals and ride "other stuff"

Bryan Head is head and shoulders above those 2 resorts....I would take my wife or beginners to DV but never to BH.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i'll have to see if i can get a new bike first. plus which new bike to get too. i pretty much want every bike i see. theres still a few months till summer so only time will tell. i have a bad habit of getting other toys instead of getting a new bike but biking is my first love so i think i'll make choice.

mtbr member
    Deer Valley has some fun stuff. only thing i miss about living in Ut... Since you live in Ogden you can take the short trip to Wolf Mt... maybe a 40min. drive(?)

Mountain Bike Events
    Last edited by shwinn8; 01-23-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    go ride has a dh race at wolf. its only maybe 30 min from my house too. im curious to see what they have too. its just a really small resort

bike rider
    Bryan Head has one of my all time favorite trails, Dark Hollow. It's Van assisted but long and fun. Scott form Go-Ride turned me onto it years ago and it is fun. I used to go to Deer Valley every single summer from Houston, Texas 1998-2005 until my riding crash that put me off the bike from February 16th. 2006 until January 1st. 2009. Yes it was on my DH bike but I was here at my home trail Dirt Jumping and my front tubeless tire pulled off the rim upon landing and that was all she wrote.

I like Deer Valley a lot but it seriously Never changes. Make the trip to Mammoth or AngelFire NM or Whistler if you're looking to travel but Bryan Head has a great choice of trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails the canyons vs deer valley vs brian head-003.jpg  

the canyons vs deer valley vs brian head-002.jpg  

I got some pretty decent Niners!

bike rider
    Dark Hollow!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails the canyons vs deer valley vs brian head-002.jpg  

I got some pretty decent Niners!

biking is fun
    I have ridden deer valley for the last 5 years and only go up 2-3 times a year. It is a lot of fun but I wouldn't enjoy it enough to get a season pass.

I got a pass to the canyons last year. If you like big jumps and such then it stays fun. It feels like taking a lift up to the top of a jump line over and over again. They are constantly adding stuff and the new trail (also named dark hollow) has some pretty serious looking stuff being built off to the side. If you are not into jumping so much then I would avoid it for now until they open more trails over the next few year.

Don't know your situation or what bike you are looking for but im selling a Large turner DHR. Kinda spam but you live local so thought I would throw that out there

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I love dark Hallow! It is my favorite trail! My grandma lives in parowan so when I lived down in hurricane she would shuttle me up there a few times every couple of weekends.

mtbr member
    doesn't eat up much time to check it out being as close as it is
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

Glad to Be Alive
    Dark Hollow is a must when doing Bryan Head....Make sure you go right about 2/3's the way down (less pedaling)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I have heard rumor PC resort will have some new stuff this year, possibly teaming up with Woodward? Dont know exactly what that will bring though.

Sounds interesting.