mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Canfield Ultimates the Ultimate? Pedal review

Well let me start off by saying there are not many things that make me want to write a review but these pedals are one.

My back ground:

I have been mountain biking for 20 years and have been been into downhill for 4 years and live in Kamloops British Columbia. I weigh 190-200 ish with gear and ride about 1500 km ish a year of shuttle and resort trails with about 2500 ish km's of XC.

Pedal test.

I received my first pair of Canfield Ultimates about a year ago and have put them through hell on earth from riding in deep snow and ice, to a full season of park riding and shuttles.

I used to ride the Kona Wah Wah pedals which were my favourite for 3 seasons. I tried NRG'S, Straitlines, the original Canfield crampons ect and always went back to the wah wahs.

When I tried the Ultimates I was blown away with the feel. They hold the foot nicely and there are no uncomfortable bulges. The thickness of the pedal also lends a nice feels and the shape does not leave any edges sticking out the side of the shoe. I had tried some thick pedals and could not stand the feeling of being high above the axel. Not that weight was a concern but they were 100 grams lighter then my wah wahs. The grip on the pedal is unbelievable, I run 5 10 shoes and it almost feels like clipless pedals for the amount of grip. Some people are not into super tacky pedals and this can be dealt with by removing the middle pins which allows for some movement.

Now most people are weary of thin pedals but these things take a beating.

Canfield Ultimates the Ultimate?  Pedal review-img_0335.jpg

This is after a full year of riding DH and using them for winter DH and XC.

I recently got a set of the Mag Ultimates and have to say they are no different then the Ultimates but 60 grams lighter (282 grams vs 342 grams). When I got the pedals I could not believe how light they are they almost did not feel real.

I was worried about how strong they would be due to the weight however after sliding out sideways into a set of doubles and using a tree to stop the slide abruptly. I was blow away that there was wood in the spikes but no damage at all apart from a little bit of paint loss on the side.

Canfield Ultimates the Ultimate?  Pedal review-img_0336.jpg

If you like tacky pedals that are thin, or are looking for a ultra light weight yet ridiculously strong pedal there really is no where else to look. Not to mention if you are an XC rider who loves flats the mags are lighter then XTR clipless and close to egg beaters (but way more durable.)

Oh I forgot to mention the price. The Ultimates are 150 and the Mags are 200 which considering the weight and strength is unreal.

Thinnest pedal platforms on the market. Never snag your pedal again!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have the Ultimates mag and the original crampon v2s. Both are amazing. The ultimate mag is a little smaller but like the beater said, no bulges and still large as far as platforms go (not quite 26 big but WAY more durable).

I cant recommend the mags enough, so freaking light and sexy. Any they hold up to ANYTHING (Im a colorado front range rider who has bent cranks from rock strikes).

beater
    Mine take a beating, as you can see. So do my crankarms and my bash guard. This picture was taken last August, and they've seen at least as much abuse since then (2 Moab trips in that time). I've never even bent a pin.

Canfield Ultimates the Ultimate?  Pedal review-crampult.jpg
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Have you guys had any problems with the bearings? I have had a pair of both the original crampons and the ultimates. Both have had play which I can't seem to get rid of. The play is on the inboard side where its just a bushing so I'm not sure what can be done about that. I have rebuilt them many times and the play always returns way too soon. I love the pedals otherwise.

beater

Canfield Ultimates the Ultimate? Pedal review

No, I haven't. I have a slight squeak now after nearly a year, but based on a post from Chris a year or so ago, I just need to pull the body off and add a bit of grease.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    did you tighten the nut on the end of the axel?

mtbr member
    +1 I have the original crampons and gonna buy another pair for another build. Best pedals by far for lightness, strength and look cool. I also seem to get less pedal strikes with these than with my answer pedals

mtbr member
    Bought my second pair of Ultimates a few weeks ago after getting my first pair in March. After the first ride on them I was immediately impressed with the feel and just love how thin they are. Had to get a second pair because I didn't want to keep switching them back and forth between the AM and downhill bike. I love em and they're so damn light.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I'll be the odd man out here by saying I didn't like these.

It's the Q-factor... I don't have super wide feet, and I use low-top 510 Impacts for most of my trail riding. I felt the platform on these didn't feel wide enough. My shoes were rubbing the crank arms, and the sole of my shoes were hanging off the outside edge. It's not a terrible feeling, but they weren't inspiring confidence. If they were designed with an axle (wrench flats) between the crank and platform, I'm sure I would've liked them more. (Spank Spike pedals also have this problem.)

The good points? Thin and grippy. If you can deal with the narrow feeling they give your bike, you won't be disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.