mtbr member
    May 2013

Can you use a freeride bike for dirt jumps?

I was curious and couldn't find a thread for this anywhere. Sorry if there is one.

Moose Member
    yes you can, but it's a lot harder and a lot more work to jump.

I used to ride short travel "Slopestyle esque" bikes at the nearest dirtjumps, and it was great, but my friend always rode a 9" travel Karpiel, and he could hit everything I could hit.

I used to have a RM Slayer SS (2008) with 6" travel, and it actually dirt jumped really good, never got the chance to take it on any proper dirt jumps though.

At Northstar, I've seen multiple people hit the big jump line on DH bikes. Tyler McCaul was flowing them better than some of the guys on hardtails.

It can be done, but from experience it requires more speed/effort/control. knowing how to preload helps.

On a freeride bike, I'd shy away from the super steep take-off, super steep landing BMX style dirtjumps. But Freeride bikes can hit most dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    yes you can, but it's a lot harder and a lot more work to jump.

I used to ride short travel "Slopestyle esque" bikes at the nearest dirtjumps, and it was great, but my friend always rode a 9" travel Karpiel, and he could hit everything I could hit.

I used to have a RM Slayer SS (2008) with 6" travel, and it actually dirt jumped really good, never got the chance to take it on any proper dirt jumps though.

At Northstar, I've seen multiple people hit the big jump line on DH bikes. Tyler McCaul was flowing them better than some of the guys on hardtails.

It can be done, but from experience it requires more speed/effort/control. knowing how to preload helps.

On a freeride bike, I'd shy away from the super steep take-off, super steep landing BMX style dirtjumps. But Freeride bikes can hit most dirt jumps.
    Thanks for the reply man. I'm trying to decide between buying a full suspension freeride bike or a P.26 AM. I'd like to ride some serious trails and also do some dirt jumps without buying 2 bikes. haha so I guess I'd be fine with a full suspension with like 6-8 inches of travel on the fork?

Moose Member
    If you're going to do trails, get a fully. Riding a hardtail on rocky trails can be fun and challenging, but it's really hard, and is really rough on the bike, and the rider.

If you are looking at jumping pretty seriously though, I'd stray away from too much travel, like 7 and 8 inches. You might want to look at short travel freeride bikes, or slopestyle bikes, like the transition double, NS Soda Slope, etc. Also, might want to look into the Konig 4-6. I don't know if they are for sale yet, but I got my eye on them.

If you're buying used there's tons of good options, My first choice (If I could only have 1 bike) would be a Banshee Wildcard. Adjustable rear travel from 4-6" (or something similar), and I've heard if you run a 160mm or even 180mm fork, it feels great in both rear travel settings. Other options could be Giant Reign X, Corsair Konig, RM Slayer SS (Old style), Commencal Supreme (there's one with 6" rear travel), etc.

I'd shoot for a 6" mini DH bike if I were you, because you won't loose too much on the DH, and it will jump remarkably better than a 7 or 8" bike. I'm on a 7" bike now, and my 6" bike jumped noticeably better.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    If you're going to do trails, get a fully. Riding a hardtail on rocky trails can be fun and challenging, but it's really hard, and is really rough on the bike, and the rider.

If you are looking at jumping pretty seriously though, I'd stray away from too much travel, like 7 and 8 inches. You might want to look at short travel freeride bikes, or slopestyle bikes, like the transition double, NS Soda Slope, etc. Also, might want to look into the Konig 4-6. I don't know if they are for sale yet, but I got my eye on them.

If you're buying used there's tons of good options, My first choice (If I could only have 1 bike) would be a Banshee Wildcard. Adjustable rear travel from 4-6" (or something similar), and I've heard if you run a 160mm or even 180mm fork, it feels great in both rear travel settings. Other options could be Giant Reign X, Corsair Konig, RM Slayer SS (Old style), Commencal Supreme (there's one with 6" rear travel), etc.

I'd shoot for a 6" mini DH bike if I were you, because you won't loose too much on the DH, and it will jump remarkably better than a 7 or 8" bike. I'm on a 7" bike now, and my 6" bike jumped noticeably better.
    Thanks for being specific with the bikes man. Haha so I'm just gonna look at some used bikes for now and find the ones you mentioned and look at some with like 6" of travel.

mtbr member
    i hate to burst in on this, but i will be selling my 2012 transition bottlerocket as soon as i get to test ride some other all mountain bikes.

p.m. me if interested
    2010 EWR OWB 29er
    2012 Transition Bottlerocket

mtbr member
    Black Market Killswitch - one of the funnest bikes I've ever ridden! Throw on a slacker angleset and let her RIP!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

bike rider
    I ride dirtjumps on a V10. Knowing how to adjust suspension for different conditions helps.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Wil White can dirt jump on a 13" travel karpiel.
    Wil White's Weekly Wheels Week 2 Video - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    My mate can dirt jump better than me when he is on his Scott fr 30 and i am riding my STP. So to answer your question yes you can!
    worth mentioning he liked my bike way better for riding round the bmx track because it is so much quicker! also he is a super fit cyclist so he can handle a heavy bike fine for long hours of jumping.