mtbr member
    May 2016

Can tall guys fit M/L sized freeride/dh bikes?

Hey guys, I'm 6'4" and picked up a clean 2005 Norco Atomik frame recently for a good deal. I found what little info I could and determined the M/L was the biggest size they made in that frame. I was curious before I spent money on the build if this will even fit me? I don't much about freeride/dh bikes, but want to possibly get into it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I have no idea about the geometry of that specific bike, but I think in general most FR/DH bikes from 2005 were a lot shorter in the cockpit compared to the bikes of today. A lot of DH/FR riders do like to ride a frame size smaller since they can be more manueverable (maybe at the cost of some stability).

I think with the trends towards longer and longer reach frames, maybe the ride a size smaller trend has maybe faded a bit. That doesn't mean it's wrong. We all have our preferences.

However, in your case, 6' 4" on a medium/large from 2005, may be more like 2 sizes smaller on a "modern" bike, which may be pushing it a bit.

If you're going to use the bike for lift served DH, or shuttle runs only, you might be OK on it, but if you're using it as a freeride bike that you're going to pedal to the top, then I'd take a pass on that frame becuase you'll probably be banging your knees into the bars.

If you got a good deal, and can build up the bike on the cheap from the parts bin and some other used parts it may be worth a shot. You should be able to find a used 26" wheels and forks for cheap. I wouldn't drop big $$ on a new 26" fork or new rear shock on a 2005 frame. If you break something on the frame (pivot, linkage, rear triangle etc..) you're not likely to find a replacement, and you'll be stuck with a load of components that propably won't be compatible wtih a newer frame if you decide you like DH/FR and want to stick with it.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    I have no idea about the geometry of that specific bike, but I think in general most FR/DH bikes from 2005 were a lot shorter in the cockpit compared to the bikes of today. A lot of DH/FR riders do like to ride a frame size smaller since they can be more manueverable (maybe at the cost of some stability).

I think with the trends towards longer and longer reach frames, maybe the ride a size smaller trend has maybe faded a bit. That doesn't mean it's wrong. We all have our preferences.

However, in your case, 6' 4" on a medium/large from 2005, may be more like 2 sizes smaller on a "modern" bike, which may be pushing it a bit.

If you're going to use the bike for lift served DH, or shuttle runs only, you might be OK on it, but if you're using it as a freeride bike that you're going to pedal to the top, then I'd take a pass on that frame becuase you'll probably be banging your knees into the bars.

If you got a good deal, and can build up the bike on the cheap from the parts bin and some other used parts it may be worth a shot. You should be able to find a used 26" wheels and forks for cheap. I wouldn't drop big $$ on a new 26" fork or new rear shock on a 2005 frame. If you break something on the frame (pivot, linkage, rear triangle etc..) you're not likely to find a replacement, and you'll be stuck with a load of components that propably won't be compatible wtih a newer frame if you decide you like DH/FR and want to stick with it.
    Perfect. Just the info I was looking for. I think I'm going to end up selling the frame and keep my eye open for a newer AM/FR frame more to my size. I don't plan on doing too many shuttle/lift rides every year so more than likely will be earning my fun at the expense of my lungs and legs. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHolc View Post
    Perfect. Just the info I was looking for. I think I'm going to end up selling the frame and keep my eye open for a newer AM/FR frame more to my size. I don't plan on doing too many shuttle/lift rides every year so more than likely will be earning my fun at the expense of my lungs and legs. Thanks again.
    Sounds like the right call. A current (within the last few years) AM/Enduro bike will probably be more capable than a 2005 freeride bike, and will pedal a heck of a lot better uphill.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    At your height definitely get a more modern frame that will fit you better If you’re going to pedal it... better take that into consideration too. I applaud you for pedaling up...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks guys. Yeah the closest park with any type of lift is about 2.5 hours away from me. Not too many shuttle services around either. The majority of the time there is a bunch of climbing involved. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the greatest climber, but its just another skill I need to improve upon regardless. If I'm to look toward newer Geo modern bikes. I may as well look more upon Enduro/FR type frames. Something in the 160/160mm travel range. I believe anything over 170mm will be more of a hassle and kind of minimize its use in my local stomping grounds. I was thinking Banshee Rune or GG Megatrail? Opinions? I could still take both to the parks and do light DH.

Glad to Be Alive
    from experience...riding a smaller bike puts your back in weird positions....now i have a knot in my back....not good.....you will have troubles for years to come....don't do it
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 04-18-2018 at 11:27 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days