Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011

Can anyone compare/comment? Snowshoe, WV vs Whistler BC DH

Other than the obvious size in elevation change, can anyone compare or comment on the similarities/differences between Snowshoe DH and Whistler DH? Is the gnar similar, or is one more rocky/rooty than the other? I suspect the Whistler jump trails are probably bigger, but can't say for sure (just going off pics I've seen of Whistler). A pro DH racing friend told me a few years back that Snowshoe was the gnarliest he's ever raced... I'm familiar with both resorts for winter, just not Whistler for DH biking.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike
    Tidewater is home, Eagle Rock is base camp. I love mid-Atlantic/Appalachia riding!

Glad to Be Alive
    not sure what exactly you are asking.

I have been to both...but haven't been to Snow Shoe in 10 years.

I never really thought Snoe Shoe was knarly....I rode the wetside of SS and people were telling me that was steep (not) roots were crazy when wet that was it.... the dry side and DH trails....nothing was too bad....how good and how much experience did the rider have that told you it knarly

now Whistler is a whole new ball game....you can be a beginner and start riding and having a lot of fun....if you want steeps, jumps, knarl...whistler has it all and you can progress very fast too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    not sure what exactly you are asking.

I have been to both...but haven't been to Snow Shoe in 10 years.

I never really thought Snoe Shoe was knarly....I rode the wetside of SS and people were telling me that was steep (not) roots were crazy when wet that was it.... the dry side and DH trails....nothing was too bad....how good and how much experience did the rider have that told you it knarly

now Whistler is a whole new ball game....you can be a beginner and start riding and having a lot of fun....if you want steeps, jumps, knarl...whistler has it all and you can progress very fast too
    SHIVS, that's pretty much the type of info I was looking for. I've been to Snowshoe the past few years and it's changed a lot since 10 years ago (I'd gone around that same time, too). I can manage most of Snowshoe without a whole lot of trouble. There are some very rocky sections where I end up eating shit, but nothing to deter me from trying. Sounds like Whistler will be managable within reasonable limits. And I'm glad to hear there's enough fun to be had at any level. I was a little anxious about having the majority of trails with super gnar or all manmade, big techy stuff. And I like the flow trails, too, but wouldn't want only those types of trails, either. Sounds like a good balance. I just wondered if the trails at each resembled each other at all. I can't wait to get out to BC!

Thanks for the input!
    Tidewater is home, Eagle Rock is base camp. I love mid-Atlantic/Appalachia riding!

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePSU View Post
    ....I just wondered if the trails at each resembled each other at all...
    well, they are on the same planet, but that's about where the similarities end...

Professional Troll
    Whistler has everything basically. If you can ride a MTB, you'll find something awesome at Whistler.

Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011
    @WCHuck, Lol. Fair enough!

Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Whistler has everything basically. If you can ride a MTB, you'll find something awesome at Whistler.

Glad to Be Alive
    all these trails on lower lift...Start out on B-Line......then try Orient Express (Ninja Cougar, Karate Monkey, Samurai Pizza Cat & Ho Chi Min) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjodpTMt5Q4 ....also can do B-Line to Funshine Rollie drops, to Smoke and Mirrors to Blueseamun to wednesday night delight to lower B-line.... get a sound footing on those trails (but really easy) Go over to Crank it Up...(you start jumping table tops)....

Now Go to Upper Lift.....do Blue Velvet......come down and do Angry Pirate....you master those then start on Frieght Train and Others....if you have speed on the taple tops try out A-Line....if you are doing A-Line well ....hit My favorite Combo Dirt Merchant to A-Line (you can do 4 runs an hour) Love this
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Brackish
    No matter who you are or where you ride, you can find something at Whister to take you out of your comfort zone! It's that kind of mountain.

Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011
    I wanted to follow up on my question with my own review. First, I'll confirm that anyone who said Whistler has something for everyone is absolutely right. You can go as mellow or as big as you want. And it's all FUN.

The terrain (rocks, dirt, roots) is similar at both places, it's just Whistler is MUCH MUCH bigger. There's a ton of ridable terrian at Whistler. To put it in perspective, the western side of Snowshoe would be about 2/3s of a run in ONE of the zones at Whistler. The variety and size of the jumps are substantially bigger at Whistler, the flow trails are significantly wider, the blue tech trails at Whistler are similar to the black diamonds at Snowshoe (I never attempted a double black or pro line at Whistler - way in over my head), the tech features can be huge, some of the rock slabs are giant! I'm not knocking Snowshoe - I love it there and consider it my home DH place. Whistler is just Snowshoe on super steroids. I guess I knew that, though, when I booked the trip. I was mostly wondering if I could manage the terrain at Whistler based on my experience at Snowshoe. Yes, I was able to hold my own well on the black diamond tech & flow trails. If you can do the same at Snowshoe, get to Whistler and you can ride most of the mountain!

Don't miss the Top of the World Trail. It's pretty amazing. The top 200m are real interesting - after that is pretty manageable. Don't let the top deter you.

SHIVER ME TIMBERS (thanks, by the way!) gives a great trail sequence to try. I followed it and enjoyed the hell out of it. Karate Monkey was one of my favorites, actually.

I can't wait to go back! It was well worth the travel from the east coast for essentially a weekend bike trip.

Quote Originally Posted by BikePSU View Post
    Other than the obvious size in elevation change, can anyone compare or comment on the similarities/differences between Snowshoe DH and Whistler DH? Is the gnar similar, or is one more rocky/rooty than the other? I suspect the Whistler jump trails are probably bigger, but can't say for sure (just going off pics I've seen of Whistler). A pro DH racing friend told me a few years back that Snowshoe was the gnarliest he's ever raced... I'm familiar with both resorts for winter, just not Whistler for DH biking.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

mtbr member
    I went to Snowshoe 4 times this summer and went to Whistler in 2012. IT is realyl hard to compare the two.

Snowshoe does have a good mix of gnar (ie. Lower hairball, A, and B) and smooth jump trails as does Whistler of course. The jumps are much smaller at SS and can be over jumped vs the larger tables at Whistler.

SS is a lot of fun, definitely worth the 6 or so hour drive for me one way. If you can handle most of SS then you will be mostly fine at Whistler. It is so much fun, and I cannot wait til I am able to go back. My buddy just got back from Whistler and he said they had perfect conditions. It is worth the trip and right now the Canadian dollar is weaker than in the past, so it makes for a cheaper trip!

-Brett
    Visit my Youtube channel for lots of DH and XC videos!
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero