mtbr member

Came from a Blindside...looking at Darkside, TR500, maybe a YT Tues. Advice?

After a long hiatus from a bad crash, I have been slowly getting back into park riding. Now I am not trying to hit the biggest drops, jumps etc or break any land speed records anymore and at 45 I have learned to make it fun instead of pushing my limits constantly. That being said, after a few trips back to my local park (Highland) I have been thinking of getting a dedicated park bike. I have an Ibis HD3 with a 36, x2, beefy wheels, -1.5 degree headset etc. and it does an OK job (surprisingly good) at the park but I am just not comfortable with it on a lot of the jumps. I don't know if it is because it is so light, short wheelbase or what but I would like something more forgiving when my landing is less than perfect and something more balanced in the air. Anyways, I still love it for my local tight rocky trails, it just may not be able to pull double duty realistically for me.

I used to ride a Blindside that had almost the same geometry as my HD3 with the angleset. Of course the BS handled way more, was smooth as butter with a coil and a Totem on the front and a tank. It launched off huge jumps with relative ease and tabletops and step ups were just so natural no matter how big they were. Looking now for bikes that are on the less expensive side, I want something more playful and less DH but confidence inspiring and forgiving. The Darkside caught my eye first since it looked so much like my old BS and of the 3 bikes I am considering it has the most playful geometry. I love Transition so the TR500 is an obvious choice as well in 180 mode. The YT Tues is a good value, although maybe a bit more on the DH side even though the reviews say the ride is a bit playful.

I am not a fan of the "big brands" like Specialized, trek etc. Are there any others you would consider for this situation? Any strong recommendations for these? Thanks!

mtbr member
    check out the Commencal Furious thats what i just ordered for the same specs you stated above, although it has a long wheelbase the lower suspension pivot makes it a playful park bike (no experience with this so just what ive read). nice price point though so im giving it a shot. although the Banshee is just plain sexy...

My arm hurts a little
    I went from the Blindside to a Nukeproof Pulse. The new ones are pretty sweet.

But I love it. Wanted the Transition TR and they are pretty similar. But the nuke was like 2500 less.

That chain reaction cycle close out!

But pretty much everything will be more on the Dh side. The big cos use their race bikes as their free riders, The line is pretty blurry

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions! The Commencal especially looks like a possibility. I am a little concerned with the chain stay length, but its not that different than the TR500 and yeah, the price is pretty awesome. I'd like to see some reviews

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Do you want to be able to pedal up to trails or strictly mechanically assisted gravity riding?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    Do you want to be able to pedal up to trails or strictly mechanically assisted gravity riding?
    hey Punky, this is only for lift assisted places. basically my Highland bike park bike. I am pretty sure I'll go with the Commencal Furious since the price is so attractive. I am just waiting to hear some reviews. I did message with a guy that came from a Darkside to the Furious and he found them to be similar and really liked the Furious.

mtbr member
    got my Furious this weekend, unfortunately it was missing a front hub end cap so no ride yet...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I did exactly the swap you are thinking about Blindside -> Darkside. The Blindside was an awesome bike but the Darkside is a more capable/better bike in almost every aspect. I built both bikes for lift/shuttle only. Things to note between the two bikes. No more brake jack! Smash through any rough stuff! They are both poppy bikes, Darkside a little less because of the more aggressive geometry. The Blindside could still pedal up hills or when the trail got flat. The Darkside does not, the steeper the trail is the more happy it is. The Darkside will not really be any lighter than the Blindside if you build it for DH. Here are some pictures.
    Darkside
    Came from a Blindside...looking at Darkside, TR500, maybe a YT Tues. Advice?-16939305_10209719785163821_8023339263247688293_n.jpg
    Blindside
    Came from a Blindside...looking at Darkside, TR500, maybe a YT Tues. Advice?-19400005_10210700159352563_8018413897626580963_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks Khartik, I ended up buying a Commencal Furious. It seemed like a good solution. It won't be as playful as the Darkside, but since I have a playful enduro bike the extra travel and stability should be a nice contrast. The low price helped too. Your Darkside looks awesome!

mtbr member
    you will like the Furious seems to be a well built bike, working on getting mine dialed in now