Thread: Buying used

mtbr member
    May 2012

Buying used

Ok, so I've been riding xc for a while and to be honest, its not that exciting. However, I do like taking my ht off drops and stuff and want to go bigger but I'm worried cuz my ht is lower end, and I don't want to break it. So I'm looking for a used fr/dh bike. I've found a bunch on pinkbike, there are a lot of 05-08 big hits going for pretty low. I don't have a definite price range, but probably under 1500 if possible. What are some good bikes you would recommend?

Additionally, is the 05-08 range too old to consider? I know it is fairly dependent on the rider, intenseness of rides, etc, but are those bikes just getting too old?

mtbr member
    3-5 years would be the oldest I would look at for an average useage downhiller frame. If it was only lightly used it would be another matter. In either event, inspect your welds CAREFULLY and thoroughly. The slightest sign of a hairline crack can mean a catastrophic failure down the line, and should be inspected regularly after purchase as well. The other components are changeable based on wear, but I would look at the condition of the wheels as a possible indication of the rider's style/technique. If the wheels have a lot of dings it is possibly something that had a rough/hard life.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Uphill? What's that
    I think you will be safe with an older big hit or giant glory. Those frames where built like tanks. If possible buy locally so you can see them in person before you hand over your hard earned cash.

backwoods and backwards
    I only buy used bikes from skinny guys.
    Moonbeam's compost-powered hybrid generates a respectable 32 fruit flies per rotting banana peel.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Two other bikes I have looked at were the Norco shore series or the Santa Cruz Bullit. Both of those bikes are supposedly relatively light, which it would be nice to be able to ride trails with it too.

Anyone have any experience with either of those? The norco is tempting, as they are mostly 2010s and 2011s

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Do you intend to pedal with them or strictly shuttle ?

there is a BIG difference between a HT and a DH bike (pretty much the 2 extremes) so if you just want to be able to do some drops, a full suspension Trail or AM bikes (depending on how much jump your gonna do and aggressive terrain) might be a lot more fun. DH bikes are single ring, 43+lbs (from what your're looking) and no fun to pedal up...

mtbr member
    i don't think any early to mid 2000's DH bikes are " too old " to consider. 7-9 inches of rw travel, made of aluminum, disc brake compatible, 1 1/8 headsets.... can easily buy an inexpensive frame and build it up with new parts ... that's just my thoughts. shat, i'm still pedaling a soon 12 yearold ancient relic and it does just fine! till i can save up 7 freaking grand for an M9 ... or Jedi
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    whatever you buy get the most chainstays for your money.

Theres still alot of bikes available in the $1500 range.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    I think you will be safe with an older big hit or giant glory. Those frames where built like tanks. If possible buy locally so you can see them in person before you hand over your hard earned cash.
    agree
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Moose Member
    If you're lpoking for something more all around, look at rocky mountain slayer ss's. Pedal decent, downhill good, and jump and drop like a dream, and can be had for 1000-1500 easy. They feel like more than 6" travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Aren't they new this past year? (The Slayer SS)? If thats the case, I think it'd be pretty hard to find one for under 1500.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RickBerg View Post
    Ok, so I've been riding xc for a while and to be honest, its not that exciting. However, I do like taking my ht off drops and stuff and want to go bigger but I'm worried cuz my ht is lower end, and I don't want to break it. So I'm looking for a used fr/dh bike. I've found a bunch on pinkbike, there are a lot of 05-08 big hits going for pretty low. I don't have a definite price range, but probably under 1500 if possible. What are some good bikes you would recommend?

Additionally, is the 05-08 range too old to consider? I know it is fairly dependent on the rider, intenseness of rides, etc, but are those bikes just getting too old?
    You need to figure out what you want first. Seems like you're into jumps and drops, and you're looking at freeride bikes, so you're on the right path. The glory isnt a freeride bike, its dh and there are differences between dh and fr.
    With your budget, I agree with shwinn8 that you should look at earlier model bikes. I've seen 12-13 yr old bikes that are in immaculate condition, and I've seen 1 yr old bikes that have been thrashed and abused like shyte. With older bikes, you get way more for you're money.

Perpetual Hack
    The Slayer SS the Moose is yakin about was introduced in 2007.
    The model style was intoduced in 2006. I still have a 2006 and it is a great bike as long as you get the shock dialed. The 2007+ have a reworked shock tunnel that will acomodate a resevoir shock, whereas the 2006 was inline only (mine is a pushed RP3).

This would be a great bike for you, as it can be pedaled up and rips well coming down. If after a year or two if you are into DH heavy, then get a full on DH. In the meantime a good AM/lightFR, it will take any abuse you can throw at it, but will still be able to be used for something other than coming down hill at a high rate of fuel consumption.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    With your budget, I agree with shwinn8 that you should look at earlier model bikes. I've seen 12-13 yr old bikes that are in immaculate condition, and I've seen 1 yr old bikes that have been thrashed and abused like shyte. With older bikes, you get way more for you're money.
    Buying bikes that old is a really bad idea. It's not like motocross where bikes and parts have to be around for 20 years or whatever. Additionally, lots of bikes from that area had real durability problems. Plus the fact that they've probably been hammered for years. But besides all that, you have the problem of small parts availability. You don't want your $1500+ bike to be made worthless because you can't find a $25 derailleur hanger, or you can't find a compatible rear hub, or chainguide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Buying bikes that old is a really bad idea. It's not like motocross where bikes and parts have to be around for 20 years or whatever. Additionally, lots of bikes from that area had real durability problems. Plus the fact that they've probably been hammered for years. But besides all that, you have the problem of small parts availability. You don't want your $1500+ bike to be made worthless because you can't find a $25 derailleur hanger, or you can't find a compatible rear hub, or chainguide.

I'm not guiding the op to buy a bike from the year 2000, rather a bike from 05 onwards. A bike from 06-07 would be more durable than freerides bikes made today. Bikes made back then were designed for strength rather than weight which bikes are designed for in todays climate. Freeride bikes in that era that come to mind are kona's and Norco's, made for freeride and designed for shore riding in mind.
    The reference I made to seeing 12-13 yr old bikes in immaculate condition is just to reiterate that you can find bikes in pretty good condition thats a decade old.

backwoods and backwards
    Quote Originally Posted by RickBerg View Post
    Two other bikes I have looked at were the Norco shore series or the Santa Cruz Bullit. Both of those bikes are supposedly relatively light, which it would be nice to be able to ride trails with it too.

Anyone have any experience with either of those? The norco is tempting, as they are mostly 2010s and 2011s
    The Bullit was the bike of choice for CT x-stuntry riding a few years back. I wouldn't want one for downhilling, but bombproof for the riding you describe.
    Moonbeam's compost-powered hybrid generates a respectable 32 fruit flies per rotting banana peel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Like Moosey said, I'd look into the Slayer SS, and some of the older SX Trails. You can probably pick up a complete 2009-ish for around 1500 (MAYBE a bit more).