Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    Yeah, the speed was down quite a bit owing to the pain in my hands. Never said I was a pro level rider either. I don't even race, but venture I'd be mid-pack sport fodder assuming I can ride a bike that isn't effectively a rigid on all but 5 foot drops.

The bike in the SS vid was an end-of-season Session 88 that was probably 200 hours overdue for oil / tune / seals. As with all demos, it was a total piece of ****. :P The LSC was all the way dialed back, that was literally stiction causing the fork not to eat any of that vibration... that's how bad that setup was.

The bike in the oaks vid is also an end-of-season demo that I was riding while I await my replacement fork from Fox :P Also in need of a tune, seals, oil, etc.

In any case, I can ride 'better' on my bike - but my point was, even on my bike, my hands were getting annihilated. Which is a consistent theme on brake bump heavy runs.

Here's a better vid of me chasing two pros on local dirt:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzcQ...iGUjwedBnp5V6Q
    Wooo...that trail looks like a TON of fun!

Say, an idea...mount your camera on your frame and look at how your fork is behaving.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Wooo...that trail looks like a TON of fun!

Say, an idea...mount your camera on your frame and look at how your fork is behaving.
    I would, I just can't see myself going back to SS if it's going to hurt that bad. The hand pain is a total day-ruiner and occurs about half way down run 1.

Hands don't hurt on local trails, presumably b/c they're not long enough. The only trail that gives me arm pump is telonics, and that was only once on a demo bike with even crappier brakes than my avids.

My suspension is probably set up right for where/how I ride. Going to a place with long runs and bad braking bumps is a tough combo without regard to how fast or slow I am. Right now I'm just working on improving tendon strength combined with glucosamine supplements. Hope it works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Funny, i actually use ESI chunky's on my personal ride. Unfortunately my fork died at Snow Summit and the demo session 88 had thin, hard, rubber grips. I definitely do like the ESI's w/ ODI clamps though.

With my forks into Fox for a fix, I'm going to be more focused on rock climbing exercises like the finger-only pull up and finger tip push ups to see if that stuff helps.

I'm also going back to the glucosamine supplements JIC.

Finally shop is installing a 200mm front rotor to see if that helps. Trying not to blow $300-500 on another set of brakes if I can avoid it - I'm thinking the avids have 4 pots, they should be sufficient :/

Thanks all!
    The 4 piston Avid's should be plenty of brake for a 185lb rider. 200mm front rotor is a MUST for any sort of aggressive riding, especially downhill. I run 200mm front and 185mm rear on both my dh bike and my trail bike.

Did you really pay a shop to install a rotor? Shame on you. You probably paid the full $60-70 for it too.

Professional Troll
    I would, I just can't see myself going back to SS if it's going to hurt that bad. The hand pain is a total day-ruiner and occurs about half way down run 1.

Hands don't hurt on local trails, presumably b/c they're not long enough. The only trail that gives me arm pump is telonics, and that was only once on a demo bike with even crappier brakes than my avids.

My suspension is probably set up right for where/how I ride. Going to a place with long runs and bad braking bumps is a tough combo without regard to how fast or slow I am. Right now I'm just working on improving tendon strength combined with glucosamine supplements. Hope it works.
    I wouldn't call SS runs long by any means. Nor that rough. Telonics is probably rougher given the much higher average speed and presence of actual rocks. With braking bumps it's more important to have a looser grip than on rocky trails. Some sections you can try just letting the bars "float" in your hands if its straight. I doubt it's your brakes, SS is pretty dang flat, not much braking to be done there. Try lower tire pressures too, that can make a big difference.

mtbr member
    i dont now what they write to you in this tread but this are my to cent:
    Okay, adjust your fork correct, open the Lsc. take ESI grips dont compress your grips to much . Brake levers more horizontal, zee or saint brakes 203mm disc . Deity blacklabel handelbar with nice 9 backsweep so your can ride deep with wide open arms. Got first a enve bar raceface and a chromag but no confort. Bos rare air or dvo fork can help to. Cheers
    Last edited by 8664; 08-26-2014 at 11:07 PM.

ride.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2