Thread: brakes upgrade

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

brakes upgrade

hi all

i am considering myself as an AM guy (cuase in israel we dont have so much high moutain ranges so we need to be satisfied with AM). i currently ride a teocali super.
    the only site for any almost real "DH" is mount hermon.
    i want there on thursday to taste how it is. i knew that i dont have the right bike for the task but i only wanted to try.

becasue i run hayes stroke trail then on my fourth run which was the first comlete run without stops my brakes overheated and stopped working. i found myself being flying, superman wise, from the lip of a berm into the hard rocks (with a lot of Brambles - this is israel after a hot summer).
    so i want to upgrade my brakes to shimanos ... and cause of financial reasosns i was thinking of SLX.
    so here are my current dilemas which i want your help with:
    1. is there a major different between SLX and XT?
    2. is there a major difference between SLX 666 to 675?
    3. cant i buy a used set form ebay? si there a real wear? if i do a bleed, change rotors and pads dont i get a "new" system?

thanks in advance for your help

victor

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Not sure about second hand. By the time you buy pads and shimano mineral oil the difference in price between new and second hand will be small. Plus you will probably be buying an older model. Don't know what the price is where you are but chainreaction are doing shimano xt at 70 per calliper and lever.

Glad to Be Alive
    buy some old saint M800's for like a 100 to 150 used ...they work awesome less maintenance (little if any)...for me they just work...no bleeds and been on a bike for 4 years
    (really 6 years but didn't ride them for 2 do to injuries)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I found the Stroker trails overheat on extended downhills also, so I replaced the ones on my Teocali Super with 2011 Elixer CRs with 203mm Magura Storm rotors. I guess I am lucky from all the complaints around the internet, but they have been perfect for almost 2 years now.

I do have the Shimano SLX M666 brakes on my Schwinn Rocket, at first I used them with Rokect's stock Hone brake rotors, and they were OK, but they seemed to fade somewhat on extended downhills or extreme stopping situations. So I replaced the rotors with a set 180mm XT ICETECH rotors and they are a different much better brake set now, they are almost becoming my favorite.

I belive the major differnace between SLX and XT are that the SLX does not feature a "Free Stroke bite point adjust" and they use a cotter pin instead of a bolt to retain the pads in the caliper, though the threads are there if you want buy the bolt separately. .

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have seen the Saint M810s for around $160 at a couple places recently, but can't remember where.
    Also X0 would be a good choice @ $170
    Avid Elixir X.0 Disc Brake 2010 > Components > Brakes > Disc Brakes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Or $153 from a site i have never ordered from
    Avid X0 Silver disc brake rear 200mm disc, silver/carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think the SLX will be OK. I run them on my AM / Freeride bike that I also take DH-ing. They came stock on the $4K bike and I haven't had any complaints so far. I may upgrade them when I break them.

For my dedicated DH bike I do run Saints. I also have XTs on my XC bike, they would do the job just fine for you too - I think some of the pro riders run XT on their bikes. By the way, you may want to look into the Zee line - it's "budget" downhill...

Shameless plug, and open to comments from others:
    You can buy my Magura Louise 2008 - they came off a Turner DHR that was raced by a DownFast team member. I replaced them with the Saints because I am used to Shimano brakes and like them better, but the Maguras must have been good enough for him to race so I figure they will be good enough for you too, and cheap

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    not to sure if its still running or not as i havnt checked, but last week crc (Bicycles | Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes | MTB Bikes | Bike Parts | Bike Frames | Road Frames | MTB Frames) had a really great offer on brakes. they had some amazing deals on formula,

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    o so i just had a real quick look, and it seems the sale is still on, some brakes have almost 60% off, not sure if this is in your buget or not, but them formula ones are a bloody steal at that price, and also a real good brake.
    Disc Brakes

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    yeah, i think so, think the SLX will be OK. I run them on my AM / Freeride bike that I also take DH-ing. thank you

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    not sure how long for, but i just got an email off chainreaction,,,, they now offering an extra 10% off everything with the code net10,,,,,
    this would make those formulas an even better offer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vichila View Post
    hi all

on my fourth run which was the first comlete run without stops my brakes overheated and stopped working

victor
    How did it stop working? Did it start fading, or did you all of a sudden start having no lever pressure at all? If there is air in your hydraulic line (soft or no lever pressure), it would probably be prudent to bleed it out before giving up on the brakes completely.

If you're experiencing fade, either you're dragging your brakes way too much or your pads may just not be up to the task. I would suggest you try an aggressive, DH -type pad before swapping out brakes. The EBC red is a personal favorite. Good luck.
    (Universal Cycles -- EBC Disc Pads)