Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

boxxer WC, good deal?

I'm considering upgrading the 2007 Boxxer Team on my Sunday. Is this a good deal & smart choice? The Team has never really done me wrong, however it is getting beaten up, leaks a bit and is a bit heavier than the WC. What do you think?

RockShox BoXXer World Cup - Mike's Bikes - Road and Mountain Bike Shop, components, parts, accessories, service and repair
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

Professional Troll
    A boxxer at almost any price is a bad deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    A boxxer at almost any price is a bad deal.
    Evidence?

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I'm considering upgrading the 2007 Boxxer Team on my Sunday. Is this a good deal & smart choice? The Team has never really done me wrong, however it is getting beaten up, leaks a bit and is a bit heavier than the WC. What do you think?

RockShox BoXXer World Cup - Mike's Bikes - Road and Mountain Bike Shop, components, parts, accessories, service and repair

Thatís a great deal on an excellent fork. Don't listen to the brand haters, every fork maker has it's fans and haters.
    Over the years I have spent seasons on Fox 40s, Boxxers (WC & Team), 4 different generations of 888s, Dorados and others.
    For the most part they all performed well, and really only offered subtle differences in performance. This is comparing same generation to same generation of course.
    I have spent the last two seasons mostly riding Boxxer WCs and have found them to be reliable, silly light, offer excellent ride quality and easy to service. It is important to change the oil and lube the seals regularly for best performance if you ride a lot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    After Googling a bit, it seems that the 2010 Boxxer WC had some consistency issues?

For a great deal on a great fork, hit up Gemini2k05 and get an Evo Ti or Evo Steel.

Haven't seen any '11-'13 Fox40 or BoxxerWC on sale, point me towards some if you do. I always like more forks : )

Post re: 2010 Boxxer WC issues:

2010 vs 2011 boxxer World Cup - North Shore Mountain Biking Forums
    Last edited by recitio; 08-03-2012 at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Rock Shox Boxxer World Cup 2012 OEM WHITE CUT STEERTUBE | eBay

Slightly higher price for a '12 fork. Bought from this eBay seller and had a great experience.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Wow, nice find.

What's the diff between the OEM and retail Boxxer?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    Wow, nice find.

What's the diff between the OEM and retail Boxxer?
    I don't think much aside from the steer tube being shorter and probably does not come with all the extras that a retail fork comes with...i.e. extra seals and stickers and possibly shock pump.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I found this, the lowest I was able to find for a 2012 fox 40
    Fox Racing Shox 40 FIT RC2 OE - Go-Ride.com Bicycle Shop, Salt Lake City, Utah.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I like to be able to try out all of the different stuff out there...

Right now I've got an '11 EVO, and an '09 Fox40. I'd love to get the WC and '12 Fox40... but for the price of both I could get a nice frame. Hmm.

I think that a new frame would make a larger difference than going from the '11 EVO to either Boxxer or Fox40 would.

mtbr member
    Unlere racing or are a super nerd about weight I'd stick with a coil fork. They're way more sensitive on small bump chatter whereas a wc is designed for brutal efficiency. Coil also requires far less maintenence.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post
    Unlere racing or are a super nerd about weight I'd stick with a coil fork. They're way more sensitive on small bump chatter whereas a wc is designed for brutal efficiency. Coil also requires far less maintenence.
    Very reasonable advice. No matter what you decide to go with you will probably be happy with it.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by howardyudoing View Post
    Evidence?
    Years and years of experience. I have never jumped sat on a bike with a boxxer and thought "Wow, this feels good". I've stopped evening mentioning it to people because I feel so bad. What am I supposed to say "Hey your brand new fork feels worse than my 4 year old 888 even if I don't rebuild it for 18 months."?

Well, in a way its my favorite fork, if we're shuttling and someone is running a boxxer. There's a good chance we'll have a free driver before the end of the day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Do you feel that way about the World Cup too?

I haven't spent any time on the WC, but the Boxxer RC's that I rode in Whistler were utter garbage.

I was under the impression that the WC was a different breed, much better than the RC/R2C2... Am curious to hear your thoughts?

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    Do you feel that way about the World Cup too?

I haven't spent any time on the WC, but the Boxxer RC's that I rode in Whistler were utter garbage.

I was under the impression that the WC was a different breed, much better than the RC/R2C2... Am curious to hear your thoughts?
    The damping in the WC and RC2 are the exact same. I find most people who like Boxxers are just stoked on riding DH and haven't tried other forks.

Really; 888, Dorado and 40 are all better. And yes I have spent more than parking lot time on them all.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    All very appreciated feedback, but if the WC isn't a great option, is there anything else that's less than $1000 and fairly light? I'm not stuck on rock shox. ok with newcomers like X Fusion if they make good stuff.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    The damping in the WC and RC2 are the exact same. I find most people who like Boxxers are just stoked on riding DH and haven't tried other forks.

Really; 888, Dorado and 40 are all better. And yes I have spent more than parking lot time on them all.
    Bingo. In my experience the only people who ride boxxers are people who have never ridden anything else. I was FINALLY able to turn a few people from the darkside about 12-18 months ago. Got them all to ride a dorado and they now realize that the boxxer shouldn't even be considered a real DH fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    All very appreciated feedback, but if the WC isn't a great option, is there anything else that's less than $1000 and fairly light? I'm not stuck on rock shox. ok with newcomers like X Fusion if they make good stuff.
    I'm under the impression that X Fusion is made under contract by SRAM... it may be quite similar to Boxxer then? I may be incorrect though.

Just get an 888 Ti or Evo. The Ti weighs the same as a Fox40, the Evo is 1lb more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    go-ride.com, has 2011 888 EVO TI for a little under a grand.

mtbr member
    sucks to believe that so many stock bikes come with garbage. lol I need more $$$

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by howardyudoing View Post
    sucks to believe that so many stock bikes come with garbage. lol I need more $$$
    Just get a 888 CR. The damper is actually really nice, and they are damn cheap. If you don't have a zoke hookup shoot me a PM.

DownhillBAWS
    ive test road some world cups. IMHO i would rather keep my totems than those piece of crap. The SUCK! do not get them go with some 40, 888, ti ect. something like that. 40's are wicked nice

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just had proof that the haters are probably as uninformed, despite riding experience as the guy who love the WC but haven't ridden anything else.
    I thought it was a nice upgrade, proformance wise, compared to my RS Revelation DualAir but wished I could adjust it to be as plush as my coil Elka Stage 5 shock. But as you can see here, lots of supposedly knowledgable riders say they wont' perform like a coil so I accepted that.
    Before the big reveal, let me explain that I'm a 15 year vetern Expert motocrosser, known for being a suspension expert(and porting). I've always figured I could get the max out of anything adjustable because I understand how it works and have a good feel for determining how changes affect the performance. So after almost a year of tweaking my WC I thought it was as good as it gets and really had no complaint about my purchase.
    This week at the Bike and Beer fest in Burke, Vt, the RS "factory" truck was there and I had their tech check out my setup. 1 minute later, after a few tweaks (and turning the bike upside down on purpose)- I would have sworn he switched forks with me. TOTALLY different experience riding with his setup. Small bump compliance was a perfect match for the Elka, same motion for any bump. Fork used more travel but still seemed bottomless but impossible to bottom. In short, I can see NO reason why you'd pay the weigth penality of a coil AND loose the ability to adjust the ride the way air can. Not a big deal for DH only use but the bomb for dual purpose use I put my bike through.
    Don't buy into the anti WC hype, just find someone who REALLY knows how to adjust it.
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    I have a brand new 2012 Boxxer World Cup I will take $1300 for if it would help anybody out.

bizutch@hotmail.com is my PayPal and I can do Credit Cards too.

2012 RockShox Boxxer World Cup - Pinkbike

Need money to ride.
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I like my boxxer WC, very easy to work on and once you get it set up, it feels great in my opinion. (and yes, I have ridden many other forks). I do think that most people don't maintain them properly and therefore they end up feeling sticky.. drop the lowers, change the oil regularly and they are smooth.. Mine has tons of mileage on it this season and it has worked perfectly..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast