mtbr member
    Feb 2011

BoXXer team fork

Not sure if this is supposed to go here or not but I figured you guys would know best.

I found an 09 boxxer team for sale in my neighborhood for 300obo so im interested in it.

If I go look at it what should I be looking for? seals? what else?

Anything else I should ask about?

Would 250 to 300 be a reasonable price for one in good shape?

Ive been riding for a year so Im not an expert but by no means an idiot.

slap happy
    check the uppers and lowers for scratches and gouges...lowers are more important here. ask how often it was serviced. ask if he's including the tuning springs it came with too.
    oh that's a decent price if its in useable shape.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
    check the uppers and lowers for scratches and gouges...lowers are more important here. ask how often it was serviced. ask if he's including the tuning springs it came with too.
    oh that's a decent price if its in useable shape.
    Add what year too

After you buy a used fork change the oil right away
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks guys, how hard is it to change the oil? I cant imagine it being too bad. Theres probably write ups or something somewhere i can follow.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by iridesl4 View Post
    Thanks guys, how hard is it to change the oil? I cant imagine it being too bad. Theres probably write ups or something somewhere i can follow.
    Servicing the fork when it's not on the bike is pretty easy, my advice to just do one leg at a time to make sure things are not confusing. SRAM has pretty fair documentation on their support web site.

Having a few specific tools makes things less-mess no-fuss. A graduated syringe for putting oil back into the lower. A graduated cylinder or cup of some time for putting oil back into the upper.

- I use different oil in the lowers vs the damper. I have the damper oil in mine tuned a little off-spec to bias the damping a little for my body weight and riding habits. I use on-spec oil in the lowers. I also put Slick Honey on the bushings before reassembly.

- I loosen the top-cap on the damper but did not pull it out, then loosened the crowns, and then pulled the leg out of the assembly to finish work on it. Then mounting it back in the crown/lower it's easy to realign it to the proper length by comparing it to the opposite side.

- If your fussy, don't forget to rotate the anodized lettering on the leg (if any) with the label on the lower, before you tighten the lower clamp.

- I have a medium sized syringe with a piece of tubing on it which just fits into the foot-nut hole on the bottom of the lower. I use that to put the oil in the lower, after pressing the leg partially into the lower. No mess, no fuss. The syringe is graduated so I can be precise with the oil quantity.

Working one side discretely at a time just makes for easier focus for me, may not be the best way though. Ask a professional though.

slap happy
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    Add what year too

After you buy a used fork change the oil right away
    OP says 09.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.