mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Boxxer Seal Change - Need Help

I decided to change the seals and oil in my 2008 Boxxer Race. Everything went smoothly until I tried to put oil in the dampner lowers. The oil won't go into the hole. I tried putting the bolt halfway back in and tapping it to reseed the lowers but no luck. It requires 15 ml of 15 wt oil. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    You're trying to put oil in the damper or the lowers? Don't know about any "dampner lowers"...

15ml of 15wt is lubrication for the lowers. Pull the lowers further out and splash some oil in, does not have to be precise, I usually do 20ml or so with some added red rum.

...The oil does not go in the threaded rod where the foot bolt goes...Can't think of anything else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I had the same thing on my 2012. Followed the instructions to the T and when putting the oil in the lower leg had similar issue. When I installed the knob most of the oil came out and after riding it would seep out. When i tore the fork down there was hardly any in there to start with. Maybe I did some thing wrong.

mtbr member
    tip the fork upside down, loosen both lower bolts 2 full turns, tap bolts with plastic hammer, loosen the bolts some more, give them another tap or push them with your finger, take bolts out completely, the rebound rod and spring side rod should now be seperated from the lowers, poor oil in hole, push lowers down to re seat damper rods, re insert bolts, tighten bolts and flip bike or faork back over. If you can't handle those steps please take your bike to a shop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I meant dampner lowers as just the lower right leg. But yeah I tried unthreading the screw about half way and and tapping it with a hammer. But i'll try that and remove the lowers, then squirt some oil in.

Thanks guys

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by zdinki18 View Post
    I meant dampner lowers as just the lower right leg. But yeah I tried unthreading the screw about half way and and tapping it with a hammer. But i'll try that and remove the lowers, then squirt some oil in.

Thanks guys
    Don't take the lowers off. Just slid them up(bike upside down) until the damper rod is no longer sticking out of the fork. Then add oil. Push lowers back on so the rod sticks out the "top" of the lowers. Then bolt it back in place.

edit....we're talking damper side so the rod will not be visible outside the lowers. There is a 6mm hex bolt holding the damper rod to the fork lowers. Unthread it about four turns. Smack hard with hammer until it unseats. Unthread a few more turns. Repeat hammer process. Unthread bolt until it becomes unthreaded completely. Then push it back in. This will make the damper rod sink into the lowers.
    Now add your oil.
    Then you'll have to push down on the lowers until you can get the bolt threads to engage in the damper rod. (This is why it's easier to just do both sides at once by the way.)

And really man, this is SUPER SIMPLE stuff. If this is stumping you, you really aught to stop and go find a shop that can handle it for you. Maybe pay them double if they let you stand around and learn a thing or two as they do the work. You'll smack yourself for how easy it is when you see it done right, but at least you'll have the knowledge then!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Pinkbike has a couple good tutorials on how to do this.. one in video form, one in picture..

I disagree with internal14 though, take the lowers off completely so that you can drain all the oil and clean. You can add slick honey to the seals and put in the right amount of oil. If you don't clean it out properly, you will have some leftover oil and could have issues with too much oil (perhaps not achieving full travel).

mtbr member
    Just take your bike to a shop and have them do it before you mess something up.

If the videos and picture step by step instructions are confusing you have no business working on a bike unless you can afford to learn the hard way.